Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

PBS/pharmacy info?

loose thread

Bluelighter
hi all

i'm trying to work out what drugs (usable for recreational purposes) are available by prescription in Australia without restriction (i.e. the pharmacist needs to call your "GP" to "check" the validity of your script). i encountered this restriction today with a script for Endone (Oxycodone). while this is not a "tell me how to get drug X" thread, i would be interested to know people's experiences with filling prescriptions. i've filled scripts for benzos and high-dose-codeine(+paracetamol) without problems... but what else is available by prescription? is there legal, unrestricted access to any other uppers/downers/opiates under current Australian legislation, providing you have a script? any info or experiences would be appriciated.

:)

I would imagine the pharmacist would ring up if the script is for something easily abused, particularly if it's something people are prescribed on an ongoing basis for chronic pain and you don't normally get scripts filled there. I can't be sure though, I'm just guessing... 'if you're not greedy you will go far'.

BigTrancer :)

If the script is valid, then you will have no problems filling it. In terms of valid what I mean is, it is a legit script. It doesnt matter if its not your regular pharmacy.

There are regulated items such as ritalin which need an 'authority' script

You wont raise too many eyebrows filling in scripts.

However if you try and get them filled too frequently- more than what you need for a month's period, you may get asked why. Usually saying that you are going away for xxx period will solve that.

Also if you want to avoid being asked questions when filling frequently (you cant fill the same script within two days of it being dispensed), alternate between pharmacy in the area. And try not doing that in teh same shopping centre, most pharmacies in a shopping centres 'know' each other and can easily check up on you.

Excuses such as bag got stolen, lost the medication, etc will also work.

And dont be fucked when you come in to fill in scripts, you can usually spot a 'user' a mile away speaking from experience.

"If the script is valid, then you will have no problems filling it. In terms of valid what I mean is, it is a legit script. It doesnt matter if its not your regular pharmacy."

this is not what i've found.

as i mentioned with Endone, the pharmacist had to call the GP who'd written the script because she didn't know me, it wasn't my regular pharmacy etc.

now Endone (Oxycodone) is something widely used for recreation. it also carries a restriction for doctors, meaning they're only allowed to prescribe it for specific reasons (i.e. chronic pain).

maybe i was just unlucky with the pharmacist i chose. does anyone else have experiences about succesfully or unsuccesfully filling scripts for specific drugs/brands of this nature?

well what I wrote is just my 2 cents from experience in working in pharmacy for last 3 years.
That was simply from the experiences I have had.

Unless there is some suspicious behaviour or reason to check up on a script, gerenerally it is filled with no problems

Mmm.

If the doctor has prescribed the script and it's legitimate, then what does it matter of the pharmacy calls them? The doctor will only confirm the legitimacy and the script would be fulfilled.

*Shrugs* - Confusing thread...

shal :D

A friend of a friend told me that....

Even if your script is legitimate it is still up to the pharmacist's own discretion if the script is to be filled. Having a script filled is not your right, they don't have to fill anything. It is not standard policy for the pharmacist to ring the prescibing doctor. They only do this if you look out of place, which you will- don't think you're fooling anyone.
After you have been rejected for a DD (dangerous drug) script the pharmacy will then ring other pharmacies in the same shopping centre or local area warning them that a dodgey looking bastard is coming their way. If you've ever gotten medication at that pharmacy before a patient note stating that you're an addict and can't be trusted will also be added to your file in their database. If you forged the script (this includes simply changing quantities or strengths) the police will be contacted, they have all your details remember!
And if you're thinking about forging scripts....
Pharmacists are often warned about stolen script pads from local doctor's surgeries. Pharmacists also learn most of the local doctors handwriting, therefore forging scripts is not advisable.
If the pharmacist gets a script for a drug of dependence and the prescribing doctor is located on the other side of town they'll assume the script is from a stolen pad, because you've travelled away from the pharmacies in that area that know about it.
Also, even when they do fill your panadeine forte script for the 3rd time in a week don't think they believe your "i left it in a cab" or "i left it at my mate's place up the coast" excuse. Sometimes they don't care anymore and just want your sorry ass out of the shop. THEY KNOW exactly what's going on and they keep track of it.

If you've ever handed in a script only to have it returned with "I'm sorry but we're out of that medication" that means you look dodgey.

Last edited:
HAHAHA

so true....

but seriously they dont give a damn as much as you may think they do!

but generally if the script is legit then you should have no issues.

clocker said:
If you've ever handed in a script only to have it returned with "I'm sorry but we're out of that medication" that means you look dodgey.

I handed in a script for Aurorix (moclobemide) and got that. I know they were out, because I filled one the same day there. Was trying to get extras for a trip overseas heh... no worries, they sent me to another place that had it :D

Well you're very lucky they did that, because it's illegal for them to fill a script twice in the same day, (even if you are going overseas---> that's another classic excuse). You need to get a regulation 24 from your doctor for that to be done through the right channels.
....Aurorix isn't a drug of dependence so yeah they would have been telling you the truth about their stock levels. If you hand in a script for anything even remotely addictive and get the "we're out of stock" line then they're, more than likely, lying to you.

And yeah you're right dragonsush, some of the time they just don't care about you anymore....lucky for you:D

Last edited:
Heres some info

Restrictions
Pharmaceutical benefits listed in the Schedule fall into three broad categories:

Unrestricted benefits - which have no restrictions on their therapeutic uses;

Restricted benefits - which can only be prescribed for specific therapeutic uses (they are noted as restricted benefit); and

Authority required benefits - which are restricted and require prior approval from HIC or the DVA (they are noted as authority required).

Top of Page

Authority prescriptions
Only doctors (not dentists) can write authority prescriptions.

Approval of authority prescriptions by HIC may be obtained either by posting an Authority Prescription Form to HIC, by calling HIC's Authority Freecall service (1800 888 333), or by using HIC's PBS authorities website at http://www.hic.gov.au/providers/. Approval of authority prescriptions by the DVA may be obtained either by posting an Authority Prescription Form to the DVA, or by using the DVA's Authority Freecall service (1800 552 580).

An authority prescription is not valid until it has been approved by HIC or the DVA. Until then, a pharmacist must not supply the item as a benefit.

The Authority Prescription Form includes:

the original copy, which records doctor, patient and pharmaceutical benefit item details. After approval, HIC will forward it with the duplicate to the patient or the doctor (if it is to be sent direct to the patient, the doctor should mark the box next to the patient's details). In the new format, the original ("patient/pharmacist copy") is attached to repeat authorisations until the last supply is made, and is then retained by the pharmacist.
the duplicate copy, which is used for repeat supplies and is attached to repeat authorisations until the last supply is made. The duplicate is then retained by the pharmacist. In the new format, the duplicate ("HIC/DVA copy") is forwarded to HIC for processing and payment.
the triplicate ("doctor or HIC/DVA") copy, which is kept by HIC or the DVA for record purposes when approval is sought in writing. Where approval is by telephone, the doctor must keep this copy for 12 months. This copy must record the daily dose, details of the disease, the clinical justification for using the item, the patient's age (if the patient is a child) and whether the patient has previously received an authority for this pharmaceutical benefit.
Top of Page

Writing authority prescriptions

The following rules apply:

only one item may be prescribed per prescription;
the prescription must be completed by doctors in their own handwriting, unless otherwise approved by HIC;
doctors should include their name, address, telephone number and prescriber number (not provider number), and the patient's name, address and entitlement status;
doctors must indicate when brand substitution is not permitted. PBS prescriptions must not be prepared using a computer prescribing program that contains a default which would result in all prescriptions being indicated as Brand Substitution Not Permitted;
in certain circumstances, the doctor must provide additional information to HIC with the authority application; and
the prescription must be signed by the doctor and dated.
In the case of applications which are posted, lack necessary information and cannot be approved, the applications will be returned to doctors for correction. If a doctor can clarify the matter via telephone, an Authority to Prescribe Form may be prepared by HIC or the DVA and sent to the doctor.

In the case of authority prescriptions approved by telephone, the doctor should ensure the approval number is included on the prescription to enable the pharmacist to supply the medication. A prescriber who is granted approval but decides not to continue with the therapy should advise HIC.

Go
here for a full listing of PBS approved meds and their level of restriction, pricing etc..

Clocker: it is not illegal to fill a script twice in the same day. But the pharmacist is required to make sure that immediate supply is necessary. And there are some restrictions concerning which drugs can be supplied before a repeat interval has elapsed.

Regarding DDs (drugs of dependence or S8 meds) it isn't actually common for a pharmacy to have a full range of these, so telling you that they are out of stock is very often a legit reason for not dispensing your meds. If you go to a different pharmacy from where you normally have things dispensed, it is possible that they do not get many scripts for particular meds, so they just don't stock them. It's that simple, and more often than not, pharmacists are NOT in the business of being bastards.

Also concerning patient files, privacy legislation says that you can have access to all notes on your file, and so the practice of adding discriminatory notes such as "druggie" etc to a file is steadily decreasing.

But overall, pharmacists responsibility is to ensure medications are dispensed correctly, meaning that all legal requirements are filled. Often doctors who write prescriptions for DDs get some little detail wrong, and there is a legitimate reason to reject the script validity. And yes, they can refuse to dispense something because of a concern that the drug is being misused or abused or incorrectly prescribed. Even if the script is valid. But it doesn't happen very often.

^^ its like any business... they're not required to serve you. if you walk into a shop and want to buy a drink they can refuse service for essentially any reason, so long as its not prohibited by legislation (e.g. because you're black)