• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Pawn Shop Miseries

tkizzzle

Greenlighter
So today, i was in horrific H withdrawals and had no bills. So my dumbass decides to pawn my brand new iPad for a few hundo. I hate the feelin' when you are in such bad WD, and it feels like the world is crashing down on you and the only thing you can do is keep shittin your brains out and thinking of terrible things or figuring out a way to get bills. Well, today i decided to pawn the iPad. I have a few jabs but they never last long. The reason this whole ordeal is an issue is because my brother comes over everyday and uses my iPad, so when he comes over tomorrow, he is going to make a big deal about this thing being gone!:! And, it really sucks because I have already put my family through hell and they think ive been clean for a while but when my bro finds out, its going to turn into a horrific situation. I'm sure many of you cats have some pawn stories and i bet some of them are hilarious. However, with every funny pawn story there seems to be a lot more situations of regret. I just dont know what to do. I'm at a loss. I also keep tellin myself that im not going to do this stupid shit anymore, but its one thing to say that when your warm and comfy but completely different when your cold sweatin' with the eyes of death.I also ope to have the money to get this thing out of pawn within the next week or so.....

Get off the H dude.
Find a program and stick with it, before you pawn your entire life away.
You can't keep doing things like this. Eventually you will turn in to a person who pawns items that don't belong to you, unless you take control of your life right now.

Trust me man, I know this. However, its a lot easier said than done. Just have to man up and get through it instead of always giving into my impulses without thinking about consequences but that's the story with most addicts, the ability or inability to control ones impulsiveness.

Yeah that's what is eating my up pretty bad is the guilt and shame of it all.

It broke and you sent it in for warranty work. Don't forget to hid the box that it came in.

Leaping Gnome

yeah i'd do that, say you dropped it in the ocean by accident and they will send you a new one.

other than that i love pawn shops for good guitar deals; made tons fixing up their shit guitars and selling them.

I've been there man, trust me. I pawned my entire inventory of things I could pawn, and even started the old stealing phase. I was a pretty heavy user then, I lost two Xbox 360's, a couple Ps3's, a Microsoft Zune, a shit ton of Gold Jewelry, digital camera's, etc. I wish I had all of that now, it's a horrible feeling, the withdrawals do suck, I know. Have you thought about a detox center, maybe one that uses suboxone for a couple days?

dont make up stupid excuses to your family. be honest with them. youll feel better about it and hopefully theyll show you the same type of support my family showed me.

honestly the best thing you can do is be completely honest and tell them whats been going on and that you need help. i think theyll appreciate that a lot more than if you try to bullshit you way out of it. and besides what does it gain you? nothing

tell them whats going on. i was dealing with the same problem not too long ago. it feels a lot better to tell someone what youve been struggling with and a lot of the time we need that support from those who are closest to us to actually get through it. if you can, get the fuck outta there. go to rehab or stay with a relative or something to get u away from the people places and things which trigger u to use. it makes a big difference ive done it many times. good luck with everything man and i hope it works out for u.

keep us posted

the people who are telling you to lie have no idea what the fuck theyre talking about and theyre fueling that addict mentality. take my advice man

dont make up stupid excuses to your family. be honest with them. youll feel better about it and hopefully theyll show you the same type of support my family showed me.

honestly the best thing you can do is be completely honest and tell them whats been going on and that you need help. i think theyll appreciate that a lot more than if you try to bullshit you way out of it. and besides what does it gain you? nothing

tell them whats going on. i was dealing with the same problem not too long ago. it feels a lot better to tell someone what youve been struggling with and a lot of the time we need that support from those who are closest to us to actually get through it. if you can, get the fuck outta there. go to rehab or stay with a relative or something to get u away from the people places and things which trigger u to use. it makes a big difference ive done it many times. good luck with everything man and i hope it works out for u.

keep us posted

the people who are telling you to lie have no idea what the fuck theyre talking about and theyre fueling that addict mentality. take my advice man

Really really depends. I dont see how you can be so sure without knowing OPs family history and current situation.

I pawned everything of value I had when I was sick. Shit it got to the point where the pawn guy knew me and my partner on a first name basis.

I got in so tight with my pawn dealer here in town I could pawn rented items that still had serial and stickers on it. Now, this is illegal, but he knew I would get it back and I have never got him into shit. He always throws me extra when I need it (just an xbox, 1 controller, one game, no harddrive), he'll give me 80-85$. But he knows I'll get it out.

On a side note, I was in there one day and these dudes are filming a pilot about a show that involved pawn shops. I always wondered if someone didn't take their idea and turn it into Pawn Stars and the like. I mean, I live in BFE though, nowhere near LA, NYC...who knows.

Get to know your pawn dealer, they can help more than you know.

The only other pawn dealer in town I never fucked with because he was shady would hold post-dated checks and such. He has since been indicted, but he'll make a large payment to our local drug task force and everything will be alright. What would piss me off is I would pawn the car every couple weeks for about 3 bills. I would go in sometimes and pay only 350$, sometimes $375, sometimes 425$. I got so pissed off with the runaround, I said fuck you one day, if you can't charge me str8, I'll go a few blocks down. The other guy treats me like gold!

tkizzzle, I'm sorry to hear what you're going through, I really am. You sound really worried. Scared about how it's all going to turn out. Kicking yourself.

I pawned all my shit for dope (which was never much to begin with, and went fast), borrowed money from my girlfriend, convinced her while convincing myself, that I was just gonna use it to try and help taper a little bit, that I was definitely kicking. And then right after, stealing her card to get money out of her account so I could go back and get enough dope that might actually get me high for a couple hours during which I could actually be away from everything, but mostly just wanting to be away from me, whatever I'd become, and all the horrible shit I was doing. The fact that she stood by me and then continued to stand by and endure when there essentially was no more me, for as long as she did seems just astonishing to me these days. But back then, even after a long time of being off dope for long periods at a time, I still actually managed to resent her for leaving after all of that. Looking back after a couple years, I can kinda see how immature and selfish I was, my relationships were all pretty much one-sided (my-sided) things.

I dunno... I think it's a good sign how worried you seem to be about your family finding out. You seem to care a lot, and you actually recognize and admit that you've already cause them a lot of pain, and don't want to 'cause them any more. This says to me that you at least have some amount of chance at setting things right, getting the iPad back, and pulling yourself together before it's too late. How much of a chance, I have no earthly idea. And I am definitely not one to tell anybody what they should or shouldn't do.

Really really depends. I dont see how you can be so sure without knowing OPs family history and current situation.

Absolutely correct.

Yeah that's what is eating my up pretty bad is the guilt and shame of it all.

Feeling guilty/ashamed is just going to cause you to have low self esteem and you'll eventually relapse just to feel better about being yourself!

Instead, you should just accept what happened, and move on with your life by making wiser decisions. If you can't avoid relapsing you should consider getting on opiate replacement therapy so you can stabilize yourself.

That is one way to take responsibility for what happened. Waiting for your brother to find out you pawned your Ipad before doing anything about it would be not taking responsibility for it.

6a00d83527e90e69e200e55349f1e68833-320pi

Dude I totally agree with WOlfmans_BrothEr. If you lie to your family, you're just digging a deeper hole for yourself to fall into when they find out what you really did, and it's totally childish and immature to lie to people in the first place. It's better not to say anything than to lie.

I've got nothing on this. I've pawned all of my shit before, but never for drugs....only for food and bills. I won't even do that again. I got sick of losing all of my stuff for what amounts comparatively to change. Basically I'll just echo what Captain Heroin and WOlfmans_BrothEr said and add that Captain Heroin seems to always have some of the best thought out posts...a nice balance of intelligence and compassion. :)

dude i feel you. im in a similar position i have relapsed and have started to get back into looking for things to sell, and i want to tell my family i need help again, but this is my last chance with them. its bee far to many times they helped me out, if i tell them i fuckedup again ill be homeless again, im in a fucked istuation

I pawned practically everything of value I owned and alot of things I didn't when I was still with my ex earlier in the year. Nothing worse than being in the pawn shop every day. At least that's how I felt about it.

i recently pawned my drumset (worth 800 bucks or more) for 70 dolalrs so I could fill my RX's (i have no insurance) .... Never did get it back...

keep us posted

I agree with this; lying does nothing for the guilt and honesty; even though it means facing consequences, can bring a sense of relief too. Ofcourse it depends on how well your relationship with your family members is; I would recommend trying to be open as much as is still practical because for it does help for your own self image and that alone can help in quitting / cutting down and getting yourself out of this mess. Also if you are honest and open there is trust and people who trust you can help much more easily and it will be so much less stressful.

I really reccommend against lying to your family, it won't fix anything and you won't feel better about it; such a relief is non-productive and very temporary.

it churns my guts, the posts about making up some shit to your family as to the whereabouts of the ipad...sickening.

OP, please, GET OFF THE H AND GET SOME HELP.

Pretty soon, you'll be doing what my boyfriend just did to me: stole my car. stole my professional camera. (I am a photographer, and not only is that camera my LIFE, worth a fuckton of money, emotionally significant, but it had 2 weddings on it of clients who are "wondering where my pictures are?" He stole photos of the MOST FUCKING IMPORTANT DAY OF THESE PEOPLE'S LIVES, and it was my responsibility to take care of them.

Even better, oh yes, it gets better....

He was going to pawn the camera until he got into a severe car accident with another person.
My car is totaled.
Nothing quite like receiving a phone call at work from "this is Sargeant so-and-so from the (insert city here) police, and (insert name of boyfriend here) would like to talk to you...."

"[sobbing] I totaled your car...and hit a woman."

please, take a step back and realize how you may be completely FUCKING UP somebody else's life with your actions. Although it may be unintentional and not directed towards somebody, you may be really messing up somebody's shit if you sat down and thought about it. I didn't ask to deal with any of this shit!! I work my ass off day in and out, try to be a decent human being, mind my own biz...and the first car that I ever bought all by myself, picked it out, paid for it...gets ripped out from under me. I didn't have a say in this matter. I didn't ask somebody to steal my camera. Why in the hell should I have to deal with this stuff? And even worse than "things," the mental anguish and hurt from all this is one of the strongest and worst conglomeration (sp?) of emotions that I have ever felt in my life.
But he doesn't have to deal with any of this stuff. He doesn't have to figure out how in the bloody hell he's going to come up with a new car, or a new $3,000 camera so I can continue my business, or what he's going to tell his clients, "uhh sorry I lost your wedding pics!", or the person who he hit suing me and my insurance company.............

^ WHOA.

That's horrible and I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you.

Hopefully you had insurance, and you can press charges against him for having stolen all of that stuff from you?

I pawned everything of value I had when I was sick. Shit it got to the point where the pawn guy knew me and my partner on a first name basis.

Lol, two pawn shops knew me by name. I got in the habit of coming to pick my Xbox 360 and Ps3 up though, nothing else. I ended up losing them. OP may not be ready to quit the H, in that case he's better off not telling his family as it may add to the compulsion of wanting dope.