• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

paraldehyde

wungchow

Bluelighter
acetaldehyde3.gif

any known analogues of this drug? seems like you could stick an ethyl group or two in place of the methyls, or substitute an oxygen with sulfur

Why - it's an unspeakably foul & disgusting drug. Closest I'd ever want to get to trying it was watching someone else trying to consume some (complete with wretching and them stinking for days afterwards).

To put the idea of how I feel about paraldehyde, there's a grest line in Trainspotting that covers it..

" No I wouldn't fuck her, I wouldn't even touch her with yours", Johnny Lee Miller's character, SickBoy on Pussy Galore from Goldfinger

paraldehyde's basicly solid, compact, alcohol metabolite.
Alcohol analogues... would be more like meprobamate, and the like. I'm guessing they all act upon the GABA system etc.
How does alcohol work again? It keeps the ion channels controlled by GABA open I think... not very chemical structure specific. Basicly, the sky's the limit :\

I do all I can to prevent that reaction occurring as it's part of the reason Marquis reagent has a limited shelf life. It's also why where possible I make it to order and store it in a dedicated fridge.

I also agree with f&b in regards to it's use as a drug - I couldn't think of anything worse.

I know this is such an old thread; but I figured I'd revive this one rather than create a new one.. as i am looking into alternative hypnotics/sedatives (paraldehyde being one of them) to replace my dependence upon butalbital (intermediate acting barbiturate).. preferably something not as expensive to acquire; (and to more easily titrate downwards to a rational dosage and/or to find something more closer in its effects to carisoprodol; which is what i was using previously for 4 years- I actually transitioned to butalbital once carisoprodol was scheduled here in the US).

Anyway, my question- @phase_dancer & F&B: are any of your perceptions on this drug due to your personal experiences w/ it? If not, why and/or where did you derive these opinions from? Not being a smart ass, just seriously curious.

why wont benzo's work? if you have to be dependent on a depressant then go for benzo's. if you live in america it cant be that hard to get a script?

This "drug" is 3 molecules of acetaldehyde condensed together. It spontaneously degrades to acetaldehyde in an equilibrium process.

Acetaldehyde is a stinky acrid aldehyde, and is the principal alcohol metabolite responsible for hangovers and bad reactions.

I would avoid it as a drug.

There is a potentially active analogue of it. It's the trimer of chloral called "Metachloral" (at least in german).
But i think it'll have many side effect, since chloral is a nasty substance...

Metaldehyde comes to mind, which is commonly sold as a snail poison in gardening. Where Paraldehyde is acetaldehyde trimer, Metaldehyde is the tetramer, an octagonal ring. I wouldnt go ingesting it though. Vomiting, convulsions, rapid death. If you make simple sedative molecules too big, they become convulsants. Going from Paraldehyde to Metaldehyde, that barrier is crossed. A pity, its a crystalline solid.