• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Pale colored stool from Xanax?

Palebars

Greenlighter
Hi all, slightly new to the forum. First post.

As the title says, this morning my stool came out a pale almost clay like color. I had been taking one 2mg bar of Xanax a day for the past two days. I have two more and want to continue but seeing my stool like this alarmed me a bit. Anybody have any idea what might be going on?

Other information:
The bars are thicker than I am used to. I don’t have bars often tho.
I have a history of GI issues, and recently was prescribed nexium to correct daily heartburn.

Help? Am I safe to continue using?

I'm no MD, but with raging alcoholism and pancreatitis, I've had more than a few albino stools.

It's not a good thing--swarthy poop colors come from bile, which is basically a detergent made by your liver. You need it to dissolve all the fatty things you eat--including meds like the fairly oily benzos. Liver inflammation or gallstones or clogs in all those associated tubes might do it, but probably not Xanax.

I'd go back to your doc and gently suggest to her it might be more than "heartburn".

I called my doc and told him about it, he didn’t seem concerned at all. My most recent movement was a m

Two days is not any significant amount of time lol, but I have taken xanax for months and never had pale pop. Well I've had pale poo on occasion but it was never detrimental to my health . If you're really concerned make a doc appt. the usual bad things are tarry or bloody dark stool generally

Tarry black shits mean you're bleeding somewhere inside which is a bit more serious.

Pale poop is just a sign that not all is well up high in your GI tract, in the liver/gall bladder/pancreas junction. Doesn't mean there's a major disease going on, it's just something to keep an eye on (and then flushing, please). It's more like, if it doesn't go away in a few days, that's a "concern".

But I'd bet my internet medical license it has nothing to do with Xanax.

I'd try to cut back though, that stuff will only bring you misery long-term.

When I was prescribed Nexium I had pale poop, so I wouldn't worry too much as the literature describes it as working by reducing activity of the stomach acid pump and bile production :)

Nexium/esomeprazole reduces stomach acid, but it shouldn't have any effect on bile.

You need bile to digest fats, it's kind of important. And I mean biological bile--bilirubin, biliverdin--I don't mean that stuff that dribbles up when you dry heave and some people call "bile". This stuff gets made by your liver and stored in your gallbladder, and gets released into your duodenum when you eat a bunch of french fries. It's a detergent. Without it, all the fat stays as bubbles and passes through you.

Yes, I've had adventures where it looked like a long pale oil tanker crashed into a porcelain glacier and spilled a few million barrels of bright orange grease across the pristine bay. Thankfully I didn't see any wildlife stuck in it. Maybe that comes with chronic pancreatitis.

Anyway, OP, you're probably fine, Xanax isn't a problem. But if your shits don't darken up in a day or two, yes, that's a problem, and you'll need to get some bloodwork for liver function.

Ugh I've thrown up billirubin... I know it was that as I had high levels of it as the time. Taste so foul that nasty yellow stuff... Not good stuff to be coming back up into the stomach