• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Oz

Previous oz thread
Caution. Spoilers.

Oz used to be on australias optus tv's channel oh! years ago, but when the cable channels merged the whole channel was wiped. A few months befre SBS (free to air) began showing season 1, fox 8 began on season 4, but for some stupid reason skipped season 5 and went straight to the final season and only have 3 episodes left.
First 3 season are available on dvd over in the US, the 4th (which is double length with 16 episodes) goes on sale in january.

badly scripted?
badly cast?

i think you're thinking of something else.
no this isn't that reality tv show themed on the wizard of oz called, "who wants a brain, heart and teste transplant?"

i also do not understand the badly cast/scripted comment... can you give some more of your opinion, examples too maybe? i am interested.

Its entertaining for sure. If your looking for an accuracte show then this is not it, but if you just want a soap opera taking place in prison displaying all sorts of brutality then you hit the jackpot.

Well, its not as believable as it could be (maybe I've got high expectations coming from HBO), for example I saw a scene where a prisoner was shaving another prisoner with a cut throat razor... I mean c'mon, as if they would issue anything other than safety razors in gaol. I also think that a lot of the sequences where they are trying to be arty like 6 feet under or psychological like the soprano's seem a bit contrived and come across as cheesey... Not that its not entertaining, just not as inspired as some of the other quality programmes from HBO which it tries to emulate in ways.

perhaps you didn't realize this as it only just came on in .au, but it predates both of those other shows. oz was on it's 3rd season when the sopranos came on.

hard to emulate a show that didn't exist yet.

OZ was HBO's first trip into hour long drama's, personally I love it OVER anything they offer now even the soprano's, Though some of storylines were strange it was overall a really good show, personally I was always a big fan of Ryan O'Riley. a murderous bastard with a heart

michael said:
perhaps you didn't realize this as it only just came on in .au, but it predates both of those other shows. oz was on it's 3rd season when the sopranos came on.

hard to emulate a show that didn't exist yet.

SBS are up to episode 23 actually, from the third season, I haven't seen to much of this series but most of what I have seen and am judging it by is from season 3. So, no, its not too far fetched for me to feel they were trying to emulate Soprano's... Whether or not they were doesn't change the fact that it comes across to me as a second rate drama when compared to other HBO shows. Of course, that's only my humble opinion, I never claimed to have any particular expertise.

to each, their own, my friend.

yeah, the freedoms shown to the inmates of emerald city is ludicrous, but it's much more exciting and potentially stunning that way. fantastic soap opera.

SBS = Stupid Bastards Suck

what a bunch of lying arseholes.

oz (the prison drama)

used the search but could'nt find shit.
so who else digs this program? it's by far my favourite drama, no other program creates such intellectually stimulating plot-lines and situations, it even makes you consider the overall legitimacy of the prison system and social system in general.
one thing though, i really can't see how they're going to end the last series (im half way through 4) and sufficiently tie-up all the loose ends.

submit your o z appreciation here!:D

Your search has to be at least 4 letters which sucks when you have threads about OZ and the OC. :\

TV: Oz

I have recently been renting all the DVD's from the series "Oz", an HBO television show about life in a famous maximimum security prison.

In the first season (which is where I am at) it shows the prisoners doing lots of drugs. Most I understand, they snort and shoot heroin, smoke joints, etc. But there is something in a little glass bottle that that they open and sniff and get really fucked up. It never gives a name, but does show lots of balloons filled with powder getting smuggled into the prison. The powder may just be cocaine or heoin though.

What is this drug they are sniffing? Is it really poppers or something as cheesy as amylbutyl nitrate/nitrite (have no clue how to spell that)/ aka RUSH. Or are they actually snorting something out of the bottle instead of "inhaling" it like I thought they were?

I would think as hardcore as the prisoners are, and all the heroine and other hard drugs they do and have access to, that they wouldnt waste their time on shitty drugs like Rush.

Anyone watch the show and know for sure what it is?

tits = heroin.

yeah, i know heroin isn't like that, but whatchagonnado?