Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Oxycontin?!? wtf

chrisisparanoid

Bluelighter
I recently went to go see a doctor about my codeine and small heroin problems and she prescribed me 2x20mg oxycontin tabs a day…is this normal? I thought methadone or maybe subutex but OXYCONTIN?? Wtf.

I’m not complaining though…it’s holding off the withdrawals and feels really nice..i just had to sign a few forms and have to see her every 10 days. They came in a white box with nothing written on it accept that label that tells you not to drink while having them and the script sticker.

so yeah...just wondering if anyone else has heard of this?

ha...not paranoid ever since i quit weed.

anyway i'm 18 and yeah the withdrawals were pretty bad (almost threw up on the doc)

she says i might be on it for a few months even up to a year.

I’m not complaining though…it’s holding off the withdrawals and feels really nice..i just had to sign a few forms and have to see her every 10 days.
Sounds like she has a really good solution to your problem. I don't think it's a very common approach, but it sounds really sensible to me to have a GP oversee the tapering of dose to reduce opioid dependence without sickness. I hope it works for you.

BigTrancer :)

yeah i've been very tempted to crush them up and snort a few but i gave them to my mum to hang on to and hand out to me; i just don't trust myself at the moment.

Good to hear. A lot of people would exploit the situation you're currently in, either financially or otherwise...

Hope it all works out for you! :)

that's really odd giving out opiates to someone that already has a problem with opiates...

anyway good thing you've given it to your mum.
it's not a pleasant drug when you abuse of it.

^^^

I agree,a year on oxy for that!!Yeah,really sensible...increase his habit!!!

edit...I have seen people prescribed #Endone(5mg oxy) in conjunction with diazepam,but only for very short periods.

Be careful

she's going to be lowering me slowly and it's worked well so far, although i do feel like crap when i get up in the morning until i have my pill. it doesn't make me drowsy though and i can really concentrate well at tafe...was much harder on the ups and downs of getting my own drugs and getting high all the time.

I agree that its a very good move for the doc to control your opiate intake and to have it in the open the way it is. However Im curious as to your frequency of use of Codiene and Heroin? My reason for concern is that I have stoped taking Morphine/Codiene (mainly morphine & some codiene) a few times, most recently after a year of heavy daily use. I didn't feel it necessary to tapper at all, now I understand that everyone responds to the situation differently. However, It seems to me that you have been supplied with a moderate amount of a potent opiate. That may even be overshadowing your previous use.

as aloowishus has said please be carefull, my only concern being your health. Has your doctor done this treatement before or is it the first time treating this ailment? Also maybe try taking only enough to feel normal not "really nice" like you stated earlier. Please look after yourself I know what your going through.

just got back from the doc and she got a letter from the department of health saying they didn't agree with what she was doing..it has made me feel nice because i wasn't withdrawing, i still have slight aches and pains and i've had to use imodium every day, i didnt get high off the oxycontin at all (cept. the one time i crushed it up) she said might even need to raise the dose.
so i'm going onto subutex starting tomorrow. don't know very much about it but hopefully it helps.

i was using 400-500mg codeine a day plus heroin for about 2 months straight (binge). been using the codeine for a long time and have tried to get off it many times and found it hard..with the herion added i think subutex might be the right thing to do now. I have non stop panic attacks when i withdrawl...it's not very nice.

thanks for the concern and i think the subutex is prob. a better idea than the oxy anyway.

the doc. that i had is very experienced with this sort of thing and has delt with it many times before.

40mg oxycontin a day seems to me a very good solution to a dependence of that level - it is not an increase in total opiate intakein real terms; problem being that oxycontin is not approved for use in dependence situations.
OK - subutex is a partrial agonist/antagonist; meaning it fills your receptor and prevents withdrawal, but also makes breaking through almost impossible if at some point you do feel like getting stoned or, ifyou are in actual real need of pain relief, emergency or otherwise.
If you have opiates in your system when u take sub, you will go into 'precipitated withdrawal' - the sub evicts any opiates currently residing happily in your receptor and you will go into imediate, very unpleasant withdrawal, and there is very little can be done to resolve it. ie. wait at least 16 hours between use of heroin or oxy, or 24 hours between methadone juse and a dose of subutex.
It is dosed sublingually - a poder that must be held under the tongue for a couple ofminutes. It is really gross.
There are no subutex takeaways in most states so you will be locked into a daily pickup schedule. (Some users can organise double dosingafter a couple of months, but attendance minimum will be 3-4 times a week.)
Rather than paying $3.60 for an oxycontin script you will prob be looking at $30 a week.
The withdrawal will be more prolonged than if your doctor had been permitted to carry out a controlled withdrawal using oxycontin.
Subutex is very effective for some users, but while it may be the govt woderdrug of the moment, there are hugeissues to iron out before it will really be user-friendly.
Oh, btw, nice to be back in the world of bl, and drug-user peer-ed and activism after a nice break.

ok i did something stupid...i started on 2mg today and was feeling realllly crappy by about 8pm (shes put the dose up to 4mg for tomorrow) and i did 40mg of oxy...i felt so guilty after that i chucked the rest out, was stupid of me to keep it around anyway!
its been about an hour since ive taken it and i dont feel much...i just want to make sure i wont die. my pulse is strong and i dont feel very sleepy so i dont think i will but just want to make sure.

ill tell my doc what i did tomorrow before i take the subutex to see what she has to say...just wondering if i'm safe for the moment.

mibrane said:
40mg oxycontin a day seems to me a very good solution to a dependence of that level - it is not an increase in total opiate intakein real terms; problem being that oxycontin is not approved for use in dependence situations.
OK - subutex is a partrial agonist/antagonist; meaning it fills your receptor and prevents withdrawal, but also makes breaking through almost impossible if at some point you do feel like getting stoned or, ifyou are in actual real need of pain relief, emergency or otherwise.
If you have opiates in your system when u take sub, you will go into 'precipitated withdrawal' - the sub evicts any opiates currently residing happily in your receptor and you will go into imediate, very unpleasant withdrawal, and there is very little can be done to resolve it. ie. wait at least 16 hours between use of heroin or oxy, or 24 hours between methadone juse and a dose of subutex.
It is dosed sublingually - a poder that must be held under the tongue for a couple ofminutes. It is really gross.
There are no subutex takeaways in most states so you will be locked into a daily pickup schedule. (Some users can organise double dosingafter a couple of months, but attendance minimum will be 3-4 times a week.)
Rather than paying $3.60 for an oxycontin script you will prob be looking at $30 a week.
The withdrawal will be more prolonged than if your doctor had been permitted to carry out a controlled withdrawal using oxycontin.
Subutex is very effective for some users, but while it may be the govt woderdrug of the moment, there are hugeissues to iron out before it will really be user-friendly.
Oh, btw, nice to be back in the world of bl, and drug-user peer-ed and activism after a nice break.
good to see you around :)

mibrane said:

thanks for the help, i guess i wont even think about using the sub for another 16 hours.

ok, the precipitated withdrawal (PW) can take a bit of getting your head around. 8(
if you take opiates between 1hr (when it becomes fully active) and 24 hrs later you will essentialy feel nothing. the receptor is locked shut and unless you start doing 1/2 grams you're not going to feel sweet FA (clearly that wasn't a recommendation); you will not get any effect from the gear you shoot. In this way it does have quite a high "success" rate as people just don't have the money to get a decent hammer high. :X :X :X
ts mostly an issue for dosing in the first couple of days. A good rule of thumb (and you don't hear words to these effects from me often) is you should be feeling a bit shitty when you dose bup - indicates that there is no opiate left in receptors for sub to kick out, so no precipitated withdrawal.

Subutex - A Guide to Treatment provides information for people with opioid dependencies on Subutex (drug name Buprenorphine) including its uses, information on who it works best for as well as contact details for further information on this pharmacotherapy.
This resource was devloped in conjunction with the drug company and subutex program participants within AIVL and drug user organisations.
You may have been lucky and had one from your doctor but othwise visit http://www.aivl.org.au/resources.html or call 02 6279 1600 (details of local user groups are also at aivl.org) and get yourself a copy. :|

yeah, i grabbed one of those books the other day and had a good read through it..i've learnt alot more about subutex. i've been having only 4mg of sub a day for the last few days and i don't think it's holding me very steady (going to see doc tomorrow) she was planning to put the dose up but i guess if i can put up with feeling crappy for a few days then 4mg might be enough. easier to get off in the long run too i guess.