• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxycontin OP stuck in throat

The OP's have worked great when I used this method:

Use a dremel tool to grind the pill down to powder.......then pour the powder into an empty small bottle that bottled water comes in.........then pour about 1/4 of carbonated flavored seltzer water & let sit for approximately 8 hours.

Drink the concoction & enjoy the pain med.......the carbonated seltzer water brings out the medication & it works great.

Can assure you it isn't funny at all (neither is telling me to "drink a lot of water"). Don't you think I thought of that before posting? Sheesh.

As I said, it is a known problem:

5.9 Difficulty in Swallowing and Risk for Obstruction in Patients at Risk for a Small Gastrointestinal Lumen

There have been post-marketing reports of difficulty in swallowing OXYCONTIN tablets. These reports included choking, gagging, regurgitation and tablets stuck in the throat. Instruct patients not to pre-soak, lick or otherwise wet OXYCONTIN tablets prior to placing in the mouth, and to take one tablet at a time with enough water to ensure complete swallowing immediately after placing in the mouth.

There have been rare post-marketing reports of cases of intestinal obstruction, and exacerbation of diverticulitis, some of which have required medical intervention to remove the tablet. Patients with underlying GI disorders such as esophageal cancer or colon cancer with a small gastrointestinal lumen are at greater risk of developing these complications. Consider use of an alternative analgesic in patients who have difficulty swallowing and patients at risk for underlying GI disorders resulting in a small gastrointestinal lumen.

I am sure you already thought of it, but I still would do that so I wanted to post what I've done.

Captain, what the hell is a BL ambassador? If anyone deserves, though, it's you. Your like legendary, ya know.

I'm now going to picture Patrick Stewart doing your posts!

(And anyone else can answer that, I doubt he will)

A BL Ambassador is someone who helps welcome new members in New Member Introductions. :)

As long as you can take the pills with food, something that is often recommended is to take them with a thick drink like a milkshake or smoothie.

Can assure you it isn't funny at all (neither is telling me to "drink a lot of water"). Don't you think I thought of that before posting? Sheesh.

As I said, it is a known problem:

5.9 Difficulty in Swallowing and Risk for Obstruction in Patients at Risk for a Small Gastrointestinal Lumen

There have been post-marketing reports of difficulty in swallowing OXYCONTIN tablets. These reports included choking, gagging, regurgitation and tablets stuck in the throat. Instruct patients not to pre-soak, lick or otherwise wet OXYCONTIN tablets prior to placing in the mouth, and to take one tablet at a time with enough water to ensure complete swallowing immediately after placing in the mouth.

There have been rare post-marketing reports of cases of intestinal obstruction, and exacerbation of diverticulitis, some of which have required medical intervention to remove the tablet. Patients with underlying GI disorders such as esophageal cancer or colon cancer with a small gastrointestinal lumen are at greater risk of developing these complications. Consider use of an alternative analgesic in patients who have difficulty swallowing and patients at risk for underlying GI disorders resulting in a small gastrointestinal lumen.
You Sir, must have an extremely small Lumen. All I can think of is trying pieces of dinner bread. That might help tackle your problem. Just make sure to try eating some directly after ingesting pain in ass throat-attaching pills...;)

Hi to all,

Thanks for your help w/lat post: recent RX, hard to swallow/stuck in throat plus the new RX is not doing this. Go figure.

A new question, tho.

My hist. 8 years post-surg. always Oxycontin & Oxycodone. Currently 30 mg Oxycontin TiD 10 mg Oxycodone QiD (manufacture Purdue) (4/day).

The new RX problem ? Much weaker, less potent.

Several months ago, switched from Walgreens to CVS (closer to home).

Is there any chance CVS gets lesser quality meds> Older batches? Or is it me? Summer heat? Storage? Etc.

Most likely it's your tolerance because you've been on them for a long time. The pills aren't going to affect you the same way they once did.

if its a capsule, maybe it floats? i found this with 5-HTP supplements, when i swallow with water it floats around in my chest before dissappearing with a mild heartburn

I truly despised when medications I was taking got coated in plastic.

I felt like they did not work the same. They also upset my stomach. I ended up switching medications. I eventually got off pain medication, but that is a whole nother story.

Your doctor or pharmacist should be able to advise you how to take your medication. It is kinda their job and it is your health so personally I would handle the issue one way or another. I would think the pharmacist would recommend a pill crusher and pill splitter. I am not a medical professional in any way, shape or form but I would pretty much demand that the issue be handled, as I would want what was best for my health and doctors swear a hypocratic oath to do their job.

So that being said I am really confused as to why your doctor recommend the internet. Maybe he was being a smartass and not understanding your difficulty swallowing pills or maybe he thought that you would not have trouble figuring it out. Either way your doctor is not being very understanding. Talk to your pharmacist. I do believe they ask if you have any questions.

Cavity I am sure that cutting the pills up or crushing them would not mess with the time release mechanism as the whole pill is basically plastic. So If you were to put them in a pill crusher it would flatten it. Maybe you could then either fold it in half and flatten it again or just cut it into smaller pieces.

The thing about OPs is that the time release matrix is throughout the pill and simply cutting it in pieces will not alter it. As far as the instant release pills, I do believe they are scored for the purpose of breaking them in half.

Also like Captain said, you might just be feeling like there is a pill in your throat. I have had a pill caught in my throat from swallowing a pill with no water and I ended up coughing it up. I am sure it would just not hang out in your throat forever as gravity and your digestive system will win in the long run.

I really do not even see how this is an issue unless you have some sort of medical problem. In that case your doctor should be giving you some advice. I do not see how drinking them with a tall glass of water would not get the job done.

I suppose if it was an issue you could crush and cut them. My grandparents do that because they have trouble swallowing pills.

It is not illegal to crush up your on medication for the purpose of swallowing it. A pill crusher runs about five bucks or less and usually includes a pill splitter and well I am sure water and food would push it down. If you are able to eat, I really do not get how you cannot swallow a pill, but I still wish you the best of luck.

Dopemaster, not many doctors give out good advice on taking meds because the paper work comes with instructions on taking the meds from the pharmacy.

Cavity's doctor is probably lazy & just told him to look it up online.

I'm always two months late to the party. I have family members that do notice differences between two separate generic brands of prescriptions they take. There is a chance one generic can be shattier than another. If I felt comfortable with the med I got further from home, I'd make the extra-mile trip. I'm becoming like my mother. I don't like changes.

im not entirely sure what to make of this...... if you're serious can't you grind them down with a pill grinder? because they're the OP versions surely the time release won't be defeated...

This thread may never be looked at again, but the medical way to assist pills stuck in throat, if you aren't clinically choking, is to of course drink water while putting your head down, touching your chin to your chest and staying like that a bit. It changes the shape/form of your esophagus, helping whatever might be stuck there to more easily go down.

You can always take the fleshy inner bit out first, then swallow.

never did come with instructions