• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxycontin OP stuck in throat

Cavity

Greenlighter
Hello to all,

Been taking opiates (pain from spine surgery etc) for nearly a decade (since 2006) now and since they switched the formula I've had a devil of a problem with them getting stuck in my throat. I feel like I am not getting the medication and the pill seems to lodge someplace in my throat. I was hoping someone had a solution to the problem.

I take 3 30 mg Oxycontin OP per day and 4 5 mg Oxycodone (for breakthrough pain).

I've tried to stick them in candy, use olive oil to "grease" my throat up, but these thing didn't work. The pharmacist(s) were of no help (one heard of it but had no solution and the other hadn't head of it). My doctor told me to look on the Internet so hear I am.

Thanks!

Cavity

I can't imagine how they can get stuck in your throat if you take them with a large glass of fluids?

Do you mean to say that they physically get stuck in your throat, or you have the feeling that they get stuck in your throat?

I have never ever heard of such cases, either way.

Hi there Rybee,

No they are definitely physically stuck in the throat. It is a known problem with them. The fluid intake doesn't matter at all.

It started happening when they changed how they were made. The 40 mg OPs were a problem and now the 30 mg OPs are too. It is Hell.

I've no idea what the hell your talking about. Not being rude, but really, I mean...Huh!?!

I have seen some strange things, but an oxy in the throat?
Are you crushing them? I meAn are you referring to the gel being in your throat, or the pill itself?
(But seriously, "a known problem"????????????¿¿¿

Other than drinking a large glass of water/any fluid after taking them, or even eating and swallowing slice of bread/toast... I just don't see how this is possible.

^ yeah I second that. It sounds silly to me.

(But by all means, attempt to elaborate, OP!)

^ third. just take a big ass gulp of water. if you cant get a pill to go past your throat then how the hell are you eating regular food?

That's a good question are you sure its stuck back there? Or does it just kinda feel like the pill is still there like when you dry swallow a really big pill. Do all pills do this for you?

That's funny your doc said to go on the internet usually the docs hate that word haha they look at you like they want to slap you when they hear "I read on the internet that I may have this" lol thinking to themselves why go to medical school when we got Wi-Fi

Last edited:
Drink a lot of water.

Certain pills can leave you with the feeling like they're still there, likely due to dehydration.

On boxes of pseudophed I have gotten (the ER with naproxen kind) it has mentioned something along these lines.

Can assure you it isn't funny at all (neither is telling me to "drink a lot of water"). Don't you think I thought of that before posting? Sheesh.

As I said, it is a known problem:

5.9 Difficulty in Swallowing and Risk for Obstruction in Patients at Risk for a Small Gastrointestinal Lumen

There have been post-marketing reports of difficulty in swallowing OXYCONTIN tablets. These reports included choking, gagging, regurgitation and tablets stuck in the throat. Instruct patients not to pre-soak, lick or otherwise wet OXYCONTIN tablets prior to placing in the mouth, and to take one tablet at a time with enough water to ensure complete swallowing immediately after placing in the mouth.

There have been rare post-marketing reports of cases of intestinal obstruction, and exacerbation of diverticulitis, some of which have required medical intervention to remove the tablet. Patients with underlying GI disorders such as esophageal cancer or colon cancer with a small gastrointestinal lumen are at greater risk of developing these complications. Consider use of an alternative analgesic in patients who have difficulty swallowing and patients at risk for underlying GI disorders resulting in a small gastrointestinal lumen.

Last edited:
I found that article too looks like it is a real thing more common than people think

Difficulty in Swallowing and Risk for Obstruction in Patients at Risk for a Small Gastrointestinal Lumen

There have been post-marketing reports of difficulty in swallowing OxyContin tablets. These reports included choking, gagging, regurgitation and tablets stuck in the throat. Instruct patients not to pre-soak, lick or otherwise wet OxyContin tablets prior to placing in the mouth, and to take one tablet at a time with enough water to ensure complete swallowing immediately after placing in the mouth.

There have been rare post-marketing reports of cases of intestinal obstruction, and exacerbation of diverticulitis, some of which have required medical intervention to remove the tablet. Patients with underlying GI disorders such as esophageal cancer or colon cancer with a small gastrointestinal lumen are at greater risk of developing these complications. Consider use of an alternative analgesic in patients who have difficulty swallowing and patients at risk for underlying GI disorders resulting in a small gastrointestinal lumen.

Use in Patients with Gastrointestinal Conditions

OxyContin is contraindicated in patients with GI obstruction, including paralytic ileus. The oxycodone in OxyContin may cause spasm of the sphincter of Oddi. Monitor patients with biliary tract disease, including acute pancreatitis, for worsening symptoms. Opioids may cause increases in the serum amylas

That's funny your doc said to go on the internet usually the docs hate that word haha they look at you like they want to slap you when they hear "I read on the internet that I may have this" lol thinking to themselves why go to medical school when we got Wi-Fi

Yeah I thought the same thing, but what to puzzled at this post to mention it.

OP, I wasn't laughing at you, but the comment above me.

What your saying doesn't make sense though. It may "feel" like it is stuck, and it may very well have trouble going down, but it does eventually.

Read the reference you posted, it mentions intestinal obstruction, AND DIFFICULTY swallowing, for people at risk.

But I'm still not sure what your asking? My only advice would be to crush it up as finely as possible, and take it that way. No, it will not affect the time release, hell, those OP's are unbeatable.

But you are eventually swallowing it, or well... You wouldn't be eating. If they are not helping, it could be because they aren't breaking down in the stomach properly. That damn "abuse proof" time release also means that they sometimes fail legitimate pain patients like you.

Really, OP's suck, and you should change medicine. Also, you say have been taking them a decade? Possible your tolerance had simply gone up. 30mg oxy ER isn't at all a big dose, in fact it's rather small, though you take them 3 times a day, of course(with 20mg oxy IR to boot)

Thanks. Might try crushing them. Heard of the coating "melting" and elongating in some patients.

I would sometimes get that when swallowing large capsules. I've actually spewed them back up a couple times because they didn't want to go down. What you can try instead of tilting your head back when you swallow it, move your head downwards like you're looking at the floor. It worked for me.

I'm not discounting what you're saying because it might really feel like it's lodged in your throat. If a pill is truly stuck, you would be gagging or choking. Yes, chewing them would also solve this problem.

Thanks. These are small pills - relatively speaking. I have had them feel as if they come back up (as the product insert suggests)

Curious why crushing/chewing them would not release all the medication and potentially hurt me? I always thought this was a no-no? Am I wrong?

First off, even if it did(it can't) it wouldn't hurt you; your a pain management patient, it would just be stronger, but shorter lasting. Like I said, 30mg isn't a big dose...

But as for why it won't release all at once: The OP's have a special time release system that is "abuse proof" and, indeed, it is. This means it can't be abused in any way.

You cannot inject them, or snort them, or even just break the time release.

The pill's time release is based in a kind of wax-matrix; as soon as the pill hits ANY moisture, it gels up. The drug itself is inside this gel. The gel is designed to break down in the acidic conditions of your stomach, to release the drug slowly.

Crushing it doesn't effect that, because each crumb of the pill gels. At best it might be a faster onset, but in no way does it defeat the time-release
( believe me, I have tried?

See when chewed they are called "gummies" due to sticking to teeth (the gel effect you spoke of).

Drink a lot of water.

Certain pills can leave you with the feeling like they're still there, likely due to dehydration.

On boxes of pseudophed I have gotten (the ER with naproxen kind) it has mentioned something along these lines.

Captain, what the hell is a BL ambassador? If anyone deserves, though, it's you. Your like legendary, ya know.

I'm now going to picture Patrick Stewart doing your posts!

(And anyone else can answer that, I doubt he will)