• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxycontin insufflation causing chest pain

Lost28

Greenlighter
I have been using Oxys for 4 years now. My tolerance grew to 160mg a day then I decided to quit. I took suboxone for 4 months, tapered off it, and recently started using oxys again. All has been good for the last month, felt great every time I took some, usually 40 - 80mg a day. Now out of no where I stopped feeling the euphoric feeling and started feeling like crap whenever I do some. This has been happening for the last week. I stopped smoking (oxys and cigs) and the pain continued. I just recently (today) began experimenting to see if sniffing them is causing the pain. Since I already had the lines broken out I have been dumping some powder into my mouth and swallowing with water.

The pain is in the middle of my chest over my sternum. I am not coughing at all and I can breathe fine (and I have asthma). It is not an overdose or even close to it because I am only doing tiny bumps at a time (less than 5mg) and do one no more than once an hour. Another very strange symptom is that it becomes hard to swallow where my thyroid is. Feels like theres a lump or something stuck in my throat.

The symptoms present themselves after insufflation, last no more than 45 to 1 hour then pass. Think of it like the symptoms are replacing my high. Once they pass I feel normal for another hour then w/d's kick in and I have to do more. Been to doctor 2 times, thinks its in my head (anxiety).

See a doctor if you can.

In one case scenario you blew some time and funds on a Dr. In another case scenario you caught something more serious early.

Most likely this is just a symptom of Respiratory Depression exacerbated with rapid onset opiate use with your chose ROA.

You may wish to consider gentler forms of administration.

/not a Dr.

Sounds like it might be something other than the oxy use, and frankly the possibilities are too many for any of us to help you narrow it down precisely. Don't get me wrong though, there is certainly a possibility of lung damage from snorting, especially pills. It's been proven that insoluble particles make it to your lungs when you're snorting, and some may not be cleared, which leads to your immune system attacking them leading to scarring and further complications.

As mentioned above, you need to go to a doctor to get it thoroughly checked out. Or at the very least stop doing anything that may be causing it.

Good luck and welcome to BL.

It is true insoluble particles can make it into your chest, as I have a friend that had this happen to him from snorting oxys. Choose a different ROA and if it continues, talk to your doctor. There is a good chance it could be something completely unrelated to your oxy use.

hrm

i also am not a doctor, but a person who does OC regularly and has asthma.

i think you may have some kind of resperatory infection, or possibly when you where smoking the oc's you may have done some damage.

What kind of bronchodilators are you using? if you use Primatine (epinephrine) that sometimes causes pain in my chest. also, if you are taking inhaled steriods (advair, Aerobid, Asmanex, Azmacort, Flovent,Pulmicort,Symbicort) sometimes when you stop taking these they can have those effects.

also, when insufflating powders sometimes it can reach your lungs and kinda collect there. though, you said that the pain started before you started snorting them.

i think you may have issues not related to the OC, or possibly you burned your lungs up smoking them ( Never Smoke Pills!)