• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids OxyContin how long does it act

Whosajiggawaaa

Bluelighter
How long does it act when you swallow it whole. I've heard anywhere from 12 hours right down to 6 to 8.

So which is it.

Also remember reading a certain % is released at once too, was 30% of the content the figure ?

For the record I get the old formula (crushable oc's). But decided to take em whole so they less addictive.

You are correct in most everything you said. They are designed for twice daily dosage and most get adequate coverage this way, but a smaller percentage have a wearing off effect and need three times daily dosing and very rarely, four.

I just started oxycontin a month ago and from what I can telk, the 30% thing is pretty correct. I can also tell a huge drop off after 8 hours, but there is still some analgesia for up to 12. Talking to PM doc tomorrow, probably going to up my dose to 20mg er and 10mg ir 4x a day. We'll see

Yea, I use to be prescribed OxyContin and there was no way that med would last 12 hours. I actually heard somewhere that the company that makes them all but admitted to that fact. I was prescribed 3x a day for that very reason and thank God I was. It's actually a very good LT med if taken correctly. Unfortunately, after 8 years of taking it, I had to switch PM docs and the new ones would touch OxyContin with a ten-foot pole! I ended up on Opana ER and it's been a pretty good alternative all in all. It really is too bad OxyContin has gotten such a bad name because it is quite good at LT PM. Oh well, another rant for another day.

Exactly, some docs, err, most docs are scared as hell prescribing that. I was on it for two months with IR's and it was overall the best pain relief method I've had since everything started for me. When taken as intended (not doubled up or snorted, IV, plugged, etc.) It is actually a very successful pain relief method. However looking back it was given to me in a controlled manner, meaning my mom, who was my care-taker for me at the time of me confined to bed, was giving them to me at regular times. I recently came across an old schedule she kept. Without someone to monitor your dosage I can see how it can get outta hand FAST. Fuck, come to think of it she would leave me one or two IR's by my bedside for me before I went to sleep in case I woke up in the middle of the night. Damn... I gotta get my mom some flowers.