Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Oxycodone & Hydrocodone

Tortoise

Bluelighter
Quick question;

Is either hydrocodone or oxycodone even used in Australia? If not, does anybody know why? Everybody talks about it on the US forums, but it seems in Australia, it's either codeine or morphine... seems a little strange to me.

i know theres oxycodone (specifically the 80mg) around here (syd)

havent heard of hydros though

apparently a lot of junkies wanna get rid of oxy80s for cheap so they can just get on meth or H

The availability of various prescription opiates/opioids for non-prescription use largely depends on GP prescribing patterns.

If a drug gets associated (correctly or otherwise) with non-prescription use, then GPs will be wary of prescribing it. If government departments turn their attention to prescribing patterns for various drugs, that will affect GP behaviour even more.

My understanding is that it is quite difficult for US GPs to prescribe morphine, because of concerns around "misuse", and sanctions that can be placed on doctors for prescribing it. I've heard of doctors facing criminal charges for prescribing morphine for pain management. In Australia, however, morphine is still prescribed quite freely for particular pain management issues.

My MIMS is getting old (2000 ) - but it doesn't list any hydrocodone containing medicines - so that's why you don't see it in Australia I guess..

I just rang my mate who's a doctor. He says that he prescribes Oxycodone heaps at the hospital but hasn't even heard of hydrocodone.

Hydrocodone seems to be a good mid-ground opiod right somewhere between codeine and morphine. I would've thought there'd be a market for it in Australia...

Oxycodeine hydrochloride is marketed in Aust. as Endone. It's roughly twice as strong as morphine hydrochloride , but it's hard to work out because morphine isn't that good at oral re-uptake. Its mainly used for break though pain or after surgery. It can be prescribed by an authorised person once only without further consultation with another authorised Officer (DR).

Hydrocodone is in Vicodin and not marketed in Aust.

Endone Kicks arse over MS contin, depending on dose. Your better off with two panadine fortes than you are with a 5mg MS Contin because its controlled rate works out at about 0.5mgs off Oxycodeine an hour , unless you crush it.

I've just had some surgery and am currently on Endone, only 5mg atm, it's great :) Although when I take my first proper dose of 10mg we shall see what it's like. I've also got a prescription for Panadine Forte :D

lovebrisvegas said:
I've just had some surgery and am currently on Endone, only 5mg atm, it's great :) Although when I take my first proper dose of 10mg we shall see what it's like. I've also got a prescription for Panadine Forte :D
I wish I'd just had surgery...

Oxy is here. Hydro isn't.

Oxy comes in caps of five or ten mg, or pills of higher mgs.

Theyre all in Australia! the main chem companies that either distribute or repackage oxy and hydro/morphone stuff licence pharms are in melbourne. I was told that by a chemist mate.

person said:
Theyre all in Australia! the main chem companies that either distribute or repackage oxy and hydro/morphone stuff licence pharms are in melbourne. I was told that by a chemist mate.
Nah, did some research and I got a very recent copy of MIMS. No mention of hydrocodone anywhere at all. We just don't have it Australia at this stage...

^hmm ok, probably not hydrocodone then? have seen/tried oxy 80 and 40 here in NZ but mainly cancer patients, sore back people are prescribed it, the oxy that NZ gets is licenced from a melbourne company after looking at the blister pack box a while back, mega controlled of course lol.

i just got out of hospital after breaking my foot. And was prescribed 5mg oxycodone (endone) to take home. In hospital I was given 5mg shots of morphine when needed and I reckon the oxy works much better.

Foot really not that sore so might have to get recreational, any ideas on a good dosage?

Tortoise said:
Nah, did some research and I got a very recent copy of MIMS. No mention of hydrocodone anywhere at all. We just don't have it Australia at this stage...

i dont know about hydrocodone but you can definatley get hydromorphone aka Dilaudid in australia.

A nice dose of endone for someone with little morph. tolerance would be 15-20 mgs or 3-4 tablets, don't mix with other benzo's or booze. If you have a decent tolerance i'd personally take 50 mgs or 10 tablets. just make sure to leave some for the morning when the chills kick in and your wishing you hadn't eaten them all the night before and your dr won't give you anymore.

couldn't think of anything worse than using Endone recreationally. I just got out of hospital and they gave me Endone fairly regularly for the week I was in there. Terrible stuff, made me feel like absolute shit. Did a great job of relieving pain but the nausea, chills and general feeling of shitness it caused were pretty ordinary. I got to a point where I asked my doctors to step it down to panadeine forte. It meant more pain but less feeling shit.

There is PLEEEENTY of oxy, even on a street level you just gotta be in the right circle. Hydro was discontinued in Australia in the 90's, 97 i think. Theres methadone, morphine and hydromorphone around but usually the people who sell it arent people youd want to know, thankfully I got lucky ;). Bout to go get myself some morphine and fuck the day off.

the_ketaman said:
There is PLEEEENTY of oxy, even on a street level you just gotta be in the right circle. Hydro was discontinued in Australia in the 90's, 97 i think. Theres methadone, morphine and hydromorphone around but usually the people who sell it arent people youd want to know, thankfully I got lucky ;). Bout to go get myself some morphine and fuck the day off.

hydrocodone discontinued Oct 96 (coincidently at the same time that Vicodin made the news as being the new Hollywood drug of choice, ala Matthew Perry, Robert Downy Jr etc)
I had a bottle of cough syrup (expired a long time ago) with 5mg hydrocodone per dose. I forget the name... search my posts if interested

I know a lot of people who have been prescribed oxycodone (myself included) here australia, usually 5 or 10mg tabs after surgery.