• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Oxycodone for Coronavirus, will Oxy ease any of the symptoms?

Pretty sure this is what they did to me for surgery over winter. Ketamine for sure. I wasn’t a fan of the K legs lasting an hour after I woke up..

-GC
Ketamine is an incredible useful drug for intubation. It’s becoming very popular for anaesthetists in their toolkit.

Hey all.

I'm currently taking 120mg of Oxycodone IR daily for chronic pain, if I contract COVID-19 will Oxy ease any of the symptoms? Cheers guys.

That is a really hard thing to predict. Opioids are painkillers. People tend to believe physical analgesia is the primary function of Opioids. Really, they relieve all pain, mental and physical

The question is really about your tolerance though. If you are already completely tolerant to this dosage of Oxycodone, I feel that common sense would tend toward requiring more Opioud to treat more pain.

Does this make sense?

Funny that cos my GP still has my 120mg Oxy script on repeat and he always fills it when it's due. He doesn't know I'm quitting tho lol.

It does seem to depend on the judgement of each individual doctor. You got a good GP. I honestly do as well, got no problem getting other types of CDs, but there is an increasing hysteria over opioids specifically from not just my GP but even the surgeon who operated on me and knows full well how painful the recovery is. Very recent change too.

I’m US, but I have heard things are beginning to change over there for ya’ll too.

I have a doctor as a fiancée and a few doctors in the family too. Their mindset is that opiates should only be used in low doses for 1-2 weeks in the most extreme cases. Doctors over here are beginning become kind of cold to people because it only takes one addict trying to get pills to sour them completely.

In fact she was none too happy that I decided to take pain management into my own hands, using a heroin analog due to its high oral BA compared to morphine. She’s still mad at me if I bring it up even though I used them for a month and quit just as I said I was going to do.

-GC

Ah makes sense from the US, pain management over there has really been fucked for you guys for years, feel bad for you lot.

Medical Background here:

I don't know if anybody has mentioned this yet, but some people (I haven't looked up to see if it's true) swears that kratom help a LOT with symptoms. My friend says he took it when he had the flu (not confirmed COVID), and he says he was better in like 2-3 days. I got the same flu that went around that college and my symptoms lasted a week. Other students say their symptoms lasted alot longer. This was before online classes.... *sigh* (that's a whole other story)

It's been hotly debated within the medical community recently if NSAIDS could make you more susceptible to infection somehow. Again, it's not proven since studies take time to publish. I'd avoid Ibuprofen just in case right now and stick with Tylenol (acetaminophen).

Source: https://health.usnews.com/conditions/articles/coronavirus-and-ibuprofen-what-to-know

Back onto the Opies:

Kratom is 'said' to reduce symptoms, so I'd assume opioids would follow suit?

If you look up "Are Opioids Good for Corona Symptoms?" you'll get a lot of government bullshit. And of course because of the Drug War, opioids will never get the chance to be researched upon for this potential benefit. However, we all know that opies depress the respiratory system. This mean it would help with the spasmodic breathing, calm the lungs down a lil', and patients would get better sleep. Or at least maybe there would be less pain if the respiratory system is in terrible condition (especially with elderly patients).

This is just my opinion, I'm sure theres some studies being done (espc with kratom) on the matter. It'll be awhile before the news hits though unfortunately. Tbh it is very depressing how many possbile medical therapies and cures and restricted due to old science and politics. Thank you Nixon and your abomination of what the DEA is today. I could go on and on about how politics, social labeling, and how the lack of science has prevented many cures (caused many deaths). Btw I was on a-PCYP not meth when I wrote this lol.

Ketamine is an incredible useful drug for intubation. It’s becoming very popular for anaesthetists in their toolkit.

Med Background:

Yeah, i've been in hospitals and they do like to have ketamine in stock. However, they just use it to induce sedation. Then they give another drug (I forgot what) to maintain that sedation. Ketamine is also FAVORITED by animal vets, especially for cats. Thats where the slang "kitty magic" came from lol.

However, ketamine is not used in horses as commonly as people say. Vets have seemed to 'ween' off ketamine because there's new better sedatives with no abuse potential to use. I worked with a couple vets and its funny to see what different 'cocktails' they use. Some old veterinarians will still use ketamine though, and even give it to the horse owner-trusting they use it on the horse for good reasons.

Kratom actually makes a lot of sense. It should ease symptoms for the same reason regular opiates do, but without the risk of respiratory depression.

Oh, and fun fact:

Ketamine is used for children A LOT children, and sometimes just for surgeries in adults. This is because children handle ketamine better since it's one of the more gentle sedatives. Also, children need to be sedated relatively quickly in order to treat them (b/c they can not be the most cooperative when in pain).

Kratom actually makes a lot of sense. It should ease symptoms for the same reason regular opiates do, but without the risk of respiratory depression.

Yeah I thought my friend was crazy until I looked it up lol. I wouldn't think it would affect the immune system in any way though, so what are the risks? You could at least have a nice buzz or high while dying lol.

Med Background:

Yeah, i've been in hospitals and they do like to have ketamine in stock. However, they just use it to induce sedation. Then they give another drug (I forgot what) to maintain that sedation. Ketamine is also FAVORITED by animal vets, especially for cats. Thats where the slang "kitty magic" came from lol.

However, ketamine is not used in horses as commonly as people say. Vets have seemed to 'ween' off ketamine because there's new better sedatives with no abuse potential to use. I worked with a couple vets and its funny to see what different 'cocktails' they use. Some old veterinarians will still use ketamine though, and even give it to the horse owner-trusting they use it on the horse for good reasons.
It’s also now becoming common for even our paramedic lifeguards to carry because it’s so useful.
And yeah, it’s used for sedation along with a paralytic in intubation. A very safe, effective med. And yes kids handle ketamine well and it’s ideal for them. As for adults not getting it, definitely not the same anymore. Dunno if you read my other post on the previous page. Give it a look it explains RSI.

Hey all.

I'm currently taking 120mg of Oxycodone IR daily for chronic pain, if I contract COVID-19 will Oxy ease any of the symptoms? Cheers guys.

Oxycodone could help with the muscle and body aches and feverish feeling -- with the extent depending on the dose -- there is a drop in body temperature which is one of the canonical side effect of narcotics which may make one feel better too.

Our traditional family recipe for influenza and other ache-generating illnesses is to wash down Dicodid, Vicodin, or Vicoprofen with Alka-Seltzer Cold Medicine (green label in the US and Canada) In a pinch, one could substitute that with NyQuil and the like for generally similar effects but note: you will want the bubbles as they drive the drugs through the stomach wall faster which results in a more intense come-up so maybe get the cherry flavour and stir it into a glass of Coca-Cola and then drink it, or chase the NyQuil with a carbonated beverage -- those containing phosphoric, ascorbic and/or citric acids seem to work the best, and of course one can get carbonated water and mix up your own things like carbonated apple juice.

I just went through a cancer diagnosis that involved some fairly painful surgery this past winter. The most they gave me was Gabapentin (which is a joke, ibuprofen works better.) It took me 4+ months of healing, I couldn’t leave my room for a month.

To be fair, I had an opioid problem over 10yrs ago but I’m about as stable as they come. This is why I had to source my own opioids and manage my own pain. (Which I did so successfully followed by a taper and cessation.)

My friend is battling leukemia, it’s not looking great at times for him, he uses kratom.

I know 3 other people in my life with nasty cancer diagnosis they have been given a pat on the back and “good luck.”

I’m guessing we might see them if we’re ever 3-5 days from death, then and ONLY then will they be acceptable because in their eyes we’re dead anyways.

-GC
I wish heroin was easier to find. Not for me now, but in case I was ever in pain beyond what my sub can handle on its own. Add a liitle diamorphine to 1 mg of sub and i bet you're ok.

That's horsehit my friend. I went to the hostpital after having a heart attack and all they gave me was aspirin. They do not believe in opiods like americans because the do less to relieve pain than aleve or aspirin. None of the germans even heard of the opiods available in the usa.

Also, fuck opiods. I got into a car accident at 14 and the doctor gave me oxy and i didnt' know better so I thought the pills were making me feel better, Horsehit. It's like all the other pills doctors push on americans, they treat the sysmtoms but not the underlying isssues.

So I am calling bs on this. Also logically think about it, hard to breath, opiods depress your systems so when your went to bed and were having trouble breathing. with opiods, they'll just tell your body to stop trying. You know how u beat covid, don't be obese, eat well, and don't get it in the first place. Wear a mask.
Lol this is one anecdote and a ton of extrapolation mainly based on your biased viewpoint. Whether or not you personally like opioids they are often used for dying covid patients. Not only do opioids help with the aches and pains directly from covid they help with the pain of being on a ventilator AND counterintuitively they also help the feeling of air hunger. Yes they depress breathing but that's true of propofol too and they use that when you're vented bc they need to give u some relief or you will just RIP the tube out. And when you're dying it doesnt matter if they lower ur 02 saturation bc the opioids will take away the subjective discomfort of. Not having enough air. they used on my grandfather when he had air hunger from dying of lung cancer. Works well

I’m not sure if I have had it. Been in the states since December 19th now as is showing up in old blood test then. So most likely I’ve had it and if I did it did help the symptoms but the problem is it’s a respiratory depressant that + vid19 = risky situation. Especially at higher doses. Be safe

That's horsehit my friend. I went to the hostpital after having a heart attack and all they gave me was aspirin. They do not believe in opiods like americans because the do less to relieve pain than aleve or aspirin. None of the germans even heard of the opiods available in the usa.

Also, fuck opiods. I got into a car accident at 14 and the doctor gave me oxy and i didnt' know better so I thought the pills were making me feel better, Horsehit. It's like all the other pills doctors push on americans, they treat the sysmtoms but not the underlying isssues.

So I am calling bs on this. Also logically think about it, hard to breath, opiods depress your systems so when your went to bed and were having trouble breathing. with opiods, they'll just tell your body to stop trying. You know how u beat covid, don't be obese, eat well, and don't get it in the first place. Wear a mask.

Yes, the Germans who invented hydromorphone and oxycodone which was and still called eukadol in Germany have never heard of it.
OxyContin, created by an American company, Purdue and licensed to European companies to make and sell in Europe, including Germany, weirdly not heard of by Germans.

And opioids not used for Covid-19, heart attacks or breathing problems? As has already been stated, they in fact are regularly.

I'm guessing the anecdotal crap you said was from talking to regular German citizens and not people in chronic pain, medical professionals like GP's or those in ER/A&E in hospitals, cause they most certainly will have heard of them.

Hydrocodone isn't prescribed in Europe, so if you brought that or brand names of it up like Vicodin then no one will have heard of it.

Yes, the Germans who invented hydromorphone and oxycodone which was and still called eukadol in Germany have never heard of it.
OxyContin, created by an American company, Purdue and licensed to European companies to make and sell in Europe, including Germany, weirdly not heard of by Germans.

And opioids not used for Covid-19, heart attacks or breathing problems? As has already been stated, they in fact are regularly.

I'm guessing the anecdotal crap you said was from talking to regular German citizens and not people in chronic pain, medical professionals like GP's or those in ER/A&E in hospitals, cause they most certainly will have heard of them.

Hydrocodone isn't prescribed in Europe, so if you brought that or brand names of it up like Vicodin then no one will have heard of it.
Makes me think of all the history channel stories on how crystal meth was made by nazi scientists to turn there soldiers into remorseless and more effective killers
I think it was called pervatine

I just started taking Xanax, footballs, 30mg Roxies and cocaine is that safe to take together.