• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Oxycodone for Coronavirus, will Oxy ease any of the symptoms?

evo4ever

Bluelighter
Hey all.

I'm currently taking 120mg of Oxycodone IR daily for chronic pain, if I contract COVID-19 will Oxy ease any of the symptoms? Cheers guys.

I'm on 100mg of the extended release twice a day and a lot of gabapentin and iv been wondering the same thing

Likely no. It propably has affected your immune system therefore it would be negative to be on oxy.

Damn! Should I be worried then? I'm only 34 and I don't fall into the vulnerable catagory as in I don't have any pre-existing respiratory conditions.

Through my research the most dangerous factor is lung health and capacity. So if you’re a smoker that’s not good. My friend told me it felt like it was difficult to breathe and was scary at times. And he’s in his 20s.

Opiates will help manage the symptoms. They won't treat the virus itself and it is possible the respiratory depression could be a concern too.

I suddenly got ill for two weeks and it wasn't too severe but with this virus going around and with cold season over I suspect it was likely the virus. I used codeine and paracetamol which did help the symptoms. Opiates work as antitussives as well as the obvious analgesic and sedative properties that make being ill more comfortable.

Uk ers Amazing We are years behind in US.Try getting 120 mg of oxy here from a dr,Won't happen.I'm done with heroin China f'ed that up here with fentanyl bootlegs so I ll just read on and live vicariously threw all of your eyes.64 and dreaming!

Hey all. I'm currently taking 120mg of Oxycodone IR daily for chronic pain, if I contract COVID-19 will Oxy ease any of the symptoms? Cheers guys.
No, the 120mg Oxy will just meet your daily requirement, and give you your normal comfort. To elevate above the sickness, and just kick back enjoying films and hot tea, you will need to take extra. I hope you squirreled away some extras over the months. Don't overdo it. Just a safe little bump to your scripted dose and add some nice weed products, you will be sailin' !!!

I think I remember reading that one of the effects morphine produces is a decreased effort to breathe. It's not immediately obvious that this can have some medical utility. Opioids at a low dose are useful in treating dyspnea (trouble breathing).

I would be worried that in combination with a lung infection it would be likely to see significant drops in blood oxygen saturation. I would try to keep a pulse oximieter (little thing, clips on your finger, has red lights in it) around. Maybe a canister of oxygen too if you can score it.

Opiates will help manage the symptoms. They won't treat the virus itself and it is possible the respiratory depression could be a concern too.

I suddenly got ill for two weeks and it wasn't too severe but with this virus going around and with cold season over I suspect it was likely the virus. I used codeine and paracetamol which did help the symptoms. Opiates work as antitussives as well as the obvious analgesic and sedative properties that make being ill more comfortable.
Terrible advise...opiates with further depress respiratory function... the purpose of this site is to help people, not harm them with bad advise.

he hasn't given any advice and clearly raises concerns regarding respiratory depression?

sorry if i missed something; but he did say opiates will help manage symptoms. Opiates are not part of the doctors protocol in treatment of covid in any hospital..not even if patient is dying. i checked.

Becareful as opioids will induce respiratory depression which seems dangerous given it is a respiratory disorder

That would be my main concern.

I don't think there's any reason to think being an opioid user puts you at significant risk of a worse covid 19 experience. But it might well be that if you happen to get it very badly, it might be one of be the factors that push some people over the edge.

sorry if i missed something; but he did say opiates will help manage symptoms. Opiates are not part of the doctors protocol in treatment of covid in any hospital..not even if patient is dying. i checked.

In Germany they're using opioids (Hydromorphone with midazolam) for the dying.

thatmust have been scary mate.

In Germany they're using opioids (Hydromorphone with midazolam) for the dying.
that's a palliative for the people who are dying, in my opinion it's a good idea to give em those meds so they don't suffer.

this is absolutely not true. they use fentanyl plus midazolam anytime they put anybody on a vent, and they might be judicious with the opioids for those with serious respiratory depression, but they will use them for palliative care absolutely. in fact there are articles about how they are running out of opioids both for people on vents and for palliative care for the dying and how thats a major problem.

i actually was in the ER for probable covid and didnt have low spo2 but had high blood pressure and worsening of my underlying autonomic conditions , tachycardia/pots, they offered me morphine which i didnt take, for the aches and pains

i have had opioids since, for the non-acute/post covid aches and pains (it has worsened many of my symptoms long terjm unfortunately) and they have been extremely helpful, although i watch my spo2 when on them.

opioids oddly help air hunger, yes, even tho they depress respiration. they give morphine to hospice patients who are on oxygen for this reason.