• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxy after kicking kratom

psychicpowerless

Greenlighter
First time poster, so hope this is an appropriate place.

Small bit of background...I've messed with pills over many years w/o a serious habit - mostly just vikes/percs - never did em more than a couple times a month. also taken roxy30s a few times (oral only). I got myself into a daily kratom habit, not a real serious one, but it was a bit of a nasty WD. I'm on day 16 now w/o kratom (or any opioids)

Tomorrow there's a special event going on, and I'd love to have a great buzz. Wanted to see if anyone knew how bad it would be to take 30-45mg of roxicodone for one night, then stay away from then on. Usually, that would be no problem, but a little nervous since I just got off the kratom (i have no desire to take that stuff anymore, even after taking some time off it didn't give the buzz it used to, and it's nasty gulping that shit down)

I know it'd be best to stay away entirely from anything affecting opiate receptors, but would it be that bad to have one night of fun?

Welcome to BL! Would you tell us a bit more about your history of opioid use and your present relationship with/thinking about them? Like, how long have you been using opioids (from the first time you experienced their pleasurable effects until now)?

You can use the 30-45mg oxycodone and catch a pretty solid buzz considering your low tolerance right now, but that isn't the issue. If your priority is remaining opioid free, then this plan isn't a very skillful one. However, there isn't anything inherently wrong with enjoy opioids. If you feel you can do so responsibly one more time, go for it.

I definitely took that approach. Although it took me quite a while to get to a place where neither was using nor had any real desire to use opioids, I'm very satisfied with the more "authentic" approach (given who I am, authentic to me and my genuine process).

The thing is, just one more time is more likely to turn into more than a couple more times. If you're prepared to deal with that and you feel like you really want to do this, enjoy yourself, stay safe, and try to get the most out of your experience. Just be real with yourself about what you're dealing with:

Opioid use is some of the most powerfully habit forming activities known (up there with consuming stuff we're wired to love like sugar, salt and fat, not to mention love and connection). That doesn't make it wrong, bad or evil in and of itself, but given the present climate most find themselves forced to use opioids under, it's a path that often leads to tremendous amounts of pain, sorrow and isolation.

Thanks for the reply. I started using them from prescription only....had a lot of dental issues, so I would get them occasionally. Started out with Darvocet occasionally 20 yrs ago and then vicodin/percs. Never had any addiction issues, the worst would be that I might get used to taking them every couple weeks...then be bummed when my script was out. Would occasionally be able to get some from friends, but not on a constant basis. A 30mg Roxy for me would be a very intense/euphoric buzz. Never had any addiction issues with any of these. Always looked at them as a "special treat" not something to use on a regular basis.

Oddly, it was kratom that was a different story - that felt almost as good as hydrocodone to me at first. And it was so cheap/available/pleasurable, I started using it daily.

I got through the WD, and don't really have any craving for opiods or kratom - though I have been suffering a bit still from a bit of anhedonia.

My main concern is that after 16 days off, the crash from the oxy might be rough since I am still recovering from the kratom use. I don't have much of a stash or easy way to get more, so I'd pretty much be done with them after this next time. I would be waiting before touching them, but really want to have a good time at a concert tomorrow night, and that would be my preferred buzz by far. But besides that, I'm not jonesing for an opiate buzz.

I'm inclined to say it's best to stay away for as long as you can. It sounds like you've accomplished a pretty great feat making it as far as you have. I would keep in mind that if you do decide to take oxy, your tolerance might be lower than you're used to.

Maybe you could take something else besides opioids at the concert? I would just roll a couple Js

How bad was your kratom WD? I've literally been wanting to kick it for months and just the times I've run out waiting on UPS has been enough to scare me. And I've gone thru benzo WD and oxy WD. Don't know what it is about this kratom bs. Can you tell me what your WD was like?

I took about 28 grams of kratom a day for about a year and the withdrawal was minimal lasting only a day or two.

I took about 28 grams of kratom a day for about a year and the withdrawal was minimal lasting only a day or two.
That's about my level and I'm about a month shy of taking it daily for a year. Were you functional those couple days? I notice my first symptom is terrible sweating. And lethargy.

How bad was your kratom WD? I've literally been wanting to kick it for months and just the times I've run out waiting on UPS has been enough to scare me. And I've gone thru benzo WD and oxy WD. Don't know what it is about this kratom bs. Can you tell me what your WD was like?

It seems to vary widely from person to person. As you can see from the reply above this! I was taking the same amount, even a bit less for around a year. And started tapering, as well as dividing my big doses into several ones so I couldn't feel any effects from it. I went CT once I was down to 5.5g/day. And still pretty rough. Felt like a cold/flu, very lethargic, depressed. The first few days feel like when you miss a dose, but a bit more extreme. The mental effects can be real bad (depression/anxiety) though I had problems with those in the first place. I went back to work on day 6, and it was definitely rough, told everyone I had the flu. The depression really sticks around too, I feel like it's because kratom has some SNRI like properties. There's a ton of alkaloids that you're cutting off your body from.

It's laughably easy compared to benzo WD though. Never had an opiate WD, I imagine kratom WD is similar but milder, with a few more lingering mental affects.

as long as you're out of wds i don't see why not - but gotta have yourself some self-control lad, one withdrawal a week is enough :)

In the off chance someone stumbles upon this thread and wants to know how things turned out, here's how things went. Took 37.5mg of roxy (I had a pill and a 1/4 left). Got a nice buzz, though maybe not as intense as I would have expected. I mentioned that I've been feeling a distinct lack of pleasure since stopping kratom - the oxy took care of that, but didn't get me real high either. Had a great night though.

Today (the day after) I didn't feel great, but nothing major. Felt like I'd expect the day after taking pills and being on my feet all day. I had a terrible hangover when I took kratom after being off of it for a while in the past, this was nothing in comparison. No urge to take kratom or pills today.

I hope in the future there's more research into exactly how kratom affects the brain - coming off of it obviously isn't as bad as a true opiate WD - but also feels like there's a lot of effects from alkaloids other than the mitragynine.

Thanks to everyone who responded, even if I didn't take the practical advice of not taking the pills.

I noticed it would take four full days for me to feel normal after one off uses when I was chipping. Even without a habit it amazed me how they could so easily throw my system out of wack for days.

In any case, glad to hear you're doing well.