Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Over the hill yet...?

losthippy

Bluelighter
I'm well on the other side of 60 now and was wondering how many 'old'-timers still enjoy their recreational drug use, and if so what substances they favour? Over the last decade or so I've seen many (most) of my long-time oppo's setting aside their old habits or practices. At best they might share a spliff or even hit a cone once in a while, but for the most part they're fading away for a long list of reasons/excuses that deserve a thread of their own. For myself, I most miss acid and pingers which I haven't been able to source for several years in Oz. Old people trying to score is probably a bit sus to the younger crowd. I really do miss those quarterly adventures - not at clubs or festivals but in a quiet country setting. Being trypanophobic meant I never went near needles despite being curious about the rush, which in a way I.m glad about. Nowadays, my doc remains outdoors-grown sativa which is plentiful and never disappoints. So after decades of being opportunistic and trying this and that, I've pretty-much decided to hang up my naughty boots and do what my kids have long said - act my age. But the weed stays!

I don't know about 60 but at 40, after 25 years getting high, I sure am a lot smarter about how I do them. I also stay well away from 'the game' because everyone I step into that world I'm reminded of how superficial and backstabbing the whole thing is. I share dope these days whereas I used to hoarde it. My tolerance for weed dropped significantly, so a little bit goes a long way.

The one thing I really would like to do is get my hands on some old school blotter and drop a ten strip. I wonder if my mind can still handle such a trip.

A ten strip...? All at once? WTF? :oops: I never thrashed anything I ever took like that except sometimes misjudging subaeruginosa doses. But those times were fun more than freaky so I guess its a subjective thing. I never really had to deal with the seamy side scoring in Oz and rarely had a shiver elsewhere, though that was by handling being smart and scared at the same time. Maybe its the chase I miss. I'm back in the garden now and all is good, but... a ten strip would sure be tempting.

I'm not 'technically' an old-timer, though my back would disagree. I'm 36 and definitely feel like my days of true raging are past. Of course, I still indulge quite regularly, and smoke weed most days, but the multi-day psychedelic trips are (most likely) behind me. I've reached the point where the thought of having to waste a day recovering from drug use just turns me off the idea entirely . . . I do like to pop 15-20mg of amphetamine here and there and just have a motivated and productive day but this doesn't have any noticeable physical negative impact, no effect on sleep or eating or the like, no side effects the following day. Perhaps as we age, 'functional drug use' becomes more of a thing than recreational drug use? :unsure:

As to acting your age; fuck that shit! o_O

pop 15-20mg of amphetamine here and there
...good old amphetamine - the laborers drug lol. Perfect for mature activities.
Functional drug use has become a thing for me.
There is still a plastic tub in my fridge, it's been there for years now, with various RCs, some as old as the buythemg days.
I no longer seem to have an appetite for all that.

Honestly, I really love taking amphetamine and . . . reading a book. Particularly something technical/scientific/mathematic- ability to comprehend and synthesise information is significantly increased (or made easier at least), and one does seem to retain a bit of the gathered wisdom.

My dwindling and sad RC stash really only serves as trade or gift commodities these days. A long strong psychedelic trip- that takes effort and days recovery. Its the same thing with drinking; honestly, I don't mind a beer but fucked if I want to deal with even the mildest, most transient hangovers. I would rather stay sober and not feel like shit...

Sober is great. I haven't drank alcohol for about 20 years. Hate it.
Dexamphetamine is like sobriety on steroids :)

I'm having a look at the old stash to see what's even in there.
1g each of 2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodoamphetamine & 2C-I
10g of unknown substance

The mystery powder was supposed to be 5-mapb, only it's not. I actually started a thread here on bl whilst the mysterious (potent) psychedelic was coming on and scaring the shit out of me:
https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/i-have-taken-46mg-of-white-powder-i-am-freaking-out.757747/

That was in fact the last time I used RCs. The "trip" was really heavy for me, you know those persian carpet visuals were relentless, eyes open or closed, heart beating,incapacitated...freaking out lol.
Never again.

Good old amphetamine. Nice and straight. That's me :)

I'm 53 now, my wife is 56.... we still take pills / mdma sometimes.... occasional line of mephedrone, spice things up a little :)

This thread was an interesting read. I am 44 and was mad into all drugs for about 25 years. These days I prefer running, working out, eating healthily and not missing work because I am too fucked up and paranoid even to call in sick ? The fact that I still find that remotely funny means the monster is not really dead though, just resting. For how long I don’t know but I hope it’s forever ✌?

The other side of the sky was a great place to visit but I never wanted to live there. Those were wild times but raising a family and getting it right seemed less selfish so that's mostly how it went. I still work in a high-pressure job but limit my recreational intake to the weekends, enjoying my garden and hanging with old mates and Mary-Jane. My tolerance and high-end cultivars are nicely balanced so getting too fried rarely happens unless other goodies happen along. Sadly though, in some respects, that's a rare event these days.
^All the best with your monster, but take care. They can be sneaky bastards.

The other side of the sky was a great place to visit but I never wanted to live there. Those were wild times but raising a family and getting it right seemed less selfish so that's mostly how it went. I still work in a high-pressure job but limit my recreational intake to the weekends, enjoying my garden and hanging with old mates and Mary-Jane. My tolerance and high-end cultivars are nicely balanced so getting too fried rarely happens unless other goodies happen along. Sadly though, in some respects, that's a rare event these days.
^All the best with your monster, but take care. They can be sneaky bastards.
I should probably add, I can’t handle comedowns (or hangovers) anymore. With drugs I am literally fucked for a week afterwards, which is a disaster doing the job I do. At some point in the last couple of years the negative sides of getting high became much greater than the positives so it’s just not worth my time anymore. I imagine it’s the same for most of you posting here too?

At some point in the last couple of years the negative sides of getting high became much greater than the positives so it’s just not worth my time anymore. I imagine it’s the same for most of you posting here too?

Absolutely so true!

I found the strugle to get through social outings feeling shitty was out weighing the enjoyment of getting high the night or so before. It still is.

Im a few years away from 50 now and still smoking meth once or twice a month. Only about a pt at a time nowdays. Ive been smoking since I was about 30, and wanting to quit totally since I was 36. Have had really decent amounts of time off, but just fall back in if supply is easy. Only had 3 different suppliers in 16 years.

I did 3 pts over a week a fortnight ago, then while coming down did nothing for 4 days. 4 beautiful days I could have been out enjoying the nice weather, and I vegged and slept it away.

Really starting to worry about the negative health effects it could be causing too as I have a young family. Ive not identified any as yet, but do worry.

I guess with age I do try to do things to aid recovery. Smaller less frequent use. Go to bed even if I dont sleep. Multivitamins and things like magnesium etc.

Hi losthippy, I must be arse-about-face having started recreational use only when in my late fifties. Experimentation has been an absolute eye-opener, with occasional lessons to be learnt along the way (one being to be very cautious mixing weed with my favoured dissociatives).

I've tried far more types of substances in the last couple of years than might ever have been available to me had I looked as a young man.

On the subject of acid, for me it was best the first few times and I've tried up to 3 tabs at once, now preferring just one infrequently. I've read that a person's use of LSD was sort of self limiting (the more you use it, the less you want to use it sort of thing) and it's played out like that for me.

Like you, I've found much younger people surprised though sometimes wary to see an older person into recreational use. Having "outdoors-grown sativa" would be great! :)

And thanks for the new word for my day (trypanophobia). Best to avoid the needles, agreed.

Losthippy, although I'm not quite as old as you, I'm 54 and still very much enjoy my recreational drug use. However, I dont touch opiates or benzos anymore and the very thought of LSD/mushrooms scares me to death, but anything else is still very much on the table. I love weed when i can get it, but it wipes me out now so it's strictly for bedtime only. I also do MDMA fairly regularly.

My daughter also has that 'act your age' attitude, which mystifies me because who says drugs are only for young people? No one bats an eye at an 80 year old having a glass of sherry or a nip of whisky, so whats wrong with a spliff or a roll...?

Losthippy, although I'm not quite as old as you, I'm 54 and still very much enjoy my recreational drug use. However, I dont touch opiates or benzos anymore and the very thought of LSD/mushrooms scares me to death, but anything else is still very much on the table. I love weed when i can get it, but it wipes me out now so it's strictly for bedtime only. I also do MDMA fairly regularly.

My daughter also has that 'act your age' attitude, which mystifies me because who says drugs are only for young people? No one bats an eye at an 80 year old having a glass of sherry or a nip of whisky, so whats wrong with a spliff or a roll...?

Correction - I said I don't touch opiates any more, but that's not strictly true - I meant heroin. I still quite enjoy the occasional codeine CWE and grow poppies for pod brews, but anything stronger is a no no..

For me, nothing beats the adventure of fresh subs mashed on buttered toast with honey for brekky. I pick enough to store in honey so usually no probs with supply in a good season. The strength of the caps is sometimes a lottery but I've never not been able to cope. Living rural with no near neighbours it's the bomb a couple or three times a year. I clear the calendar, eat light the night before and keep plenty of green tea and cones on-tap for 6+ hours of wonder. I've had fun with Cid in the past but it's too hard to source nowadays, and I prefer the organic wind-in-the-hair sub ride anyhow. Otherwise, I have some nice looking Mariska seeds to sow for some summer fun. Life's still interesting.

I would like to hear more about this=)

The "guide to drug combinations" chart lists cannabis and DXM or ketamine as potentiating each other with low risk and advises caution for cannabis with LSD. I've found that cannabis can absolutely increase the effects of the above named drugs as well as a couple of other dissociatives.

However, when overdone, I've had some scary experiences including my brain being totally "seized up" with an overwelming and crippling flood of rapid fire blinding hallucinations, mainly visual but also auditory and tactile. I can only guess that an EEG recorder would be going crazy.

I've been meaning to try to find similar accounts from others but have not yet done so. I may have had some issues on too much redosing of dissociatives alone, but usually there is some cannabis in the mix. It's happened on a couple more occasions than I should admit, and the first time or two it happened, I was in fear that I'd be forever in some sort of vegetative state. More recently when I've stuffed up and it happens, I basically know to just grit my teeth and bear it as it stops in time (maybe 10 minutes, hard to say) but I can't imagine it's good for me. Once with DXM I found myself recovering on a tiled floor but don't recall what I'd expererienced to put me there uninjured.

However by using cannabis and giving it time to act before then using substantially lower doses of dissociative than usual, I've had some mind blowing (in a positive way) experiences including easier K holing and very pleasant closed and open eye visual and other sensory hallucinations. And music appreciation is superb.

It may be just me, but I am definitely not talking about a one off quirky negative experience.

While technically over the hill (I turn 42 soon), I haven't had anything recreational since...hmm... 2011? In that time I have had kids who are still little and need a bit more care than neurotypical children. I simply don't have the time/mental capacity to manage a comedown and also maintain my life as it is now. I'm actually OK with that - i started fairly early (in my late teens), and just looking at my join date will tell you how long my salad days lasted. In saying that, i never say never ;)