• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Over 2 Years Heroin Use Stops tonight

ToastedBisket

Greenlighter
Longtime lurker here,first time poster. Tonight marks my last night using heroin which I have been IVing nonstop for just over 2 years. I've not gone even 24 hours without since my first time. And boy am I exhausted. Easily the last year and a half have not been about getting high (I rarely do anymore, the quality of the dope in my area has been on a steep decline) but more about just functioning through the day.

This is long overdue and needs to be done while my living situation is still a bit cushy. I have everything I could possibly need or the means to get it and a handful of people who care about me immensely

My usage was anywhere from 1/4(absolute bare minimum) of a gram to 1.5 grams a day. Anyone with similar experience have any must know tips? I've thought of replacement therapy, even used methadone program for about 2 months last year but continued to use throughout. I am a strong woman, physically and mentally, have been through a lot, I know I will prevail. Up to this moment it's just been a matter of me looking myself in the mirror and telling myself, "enough is more than enough."

I have a nice stash of pot and some Xanax to help me sleep (not a rec user of benzos normally). Any other must haves?

Dxm

Good luck it's not easy that's for sure.

Give your phone to someone to hold. Delete dealers numbers. Make sure that it is impossible to contact a dealer or anyone that can get u heroin.

Dxm

Give your phone to someone to hold. Delete dealers numbers. Make sure that it is impossible to contact a dealer or anyone that can get u heroin.
Dxm

Great and priceless advice, thank you. My situation is a bit backwards in this regard... that's all I'll say about it. But, I have already changed my number, and supply was a 6 hour drive away, so that helps a bit. No sneaking off to meet the plug at the corner convenience store. Luckily I knew from the get that the people I've become acquainted with socially while using are anything but friends and I suffer no sense of loss there. And a slap in the face type wake up call of unwantEd visitors busting in our door at 7am (I don't know whatever for? Whatever it was they were looking for, they did not find, of course.) Made it very clear to me that not a single one of these acquaintances would ever lay their ass on the line or risk their own freedoms to help me out. Shit. The majority won't even repay a debt. And I'm sure most would sing like a bird if it meant their ass or mine. So fuck em. They'll sure miss me when I'm gone though! Haha!

Sorry. End rant. Anyway, time to grow up..... I was just supporting my habit and now, God willing, there will be no more habit....

Use sub for 7-14 days max unless methadone works for you and only lower 4 mg or less dose after day 1-3. Methadone is for long term maintenance,but only if it doesn't hurt your heart, which angry people are more prone to tan anxious I bet. See a dependency counselor and pain management dr.

Yeah I would recommend a rapid buprenorphine taper as well. It's an effective way to get off hard opiates with basically no discomfort (as far as the short-term physical WDs go, anyway...)

^Yeah, rapid bupe taper would be good

And Gabapentin/Pregabalin should help a lot with RLS etc.

Weed used to help me a lot during a rattle especially a heavy indica. It would dull some of the pain but for some people it might highten anxiety. Definitely monging out with benzos would help especially with the insomnia if you have access to them lucky you they will certainly help a cluck! Combining the weed with the benzos will probably help more than anything else. Other than that using opiate substititutes (buprenorphine or methadone) to taper will defintely lessen symptoms but will also prolong the withdrawal.

Me, personally, would rather do a raw rattle and be sick as a dog for a week (realistically two) than months of tapering. I am admitting that I am on methadone maintenance so I'm giving advice I haven't been personably able to stick to but I genuinely hope you can do it. Being stuck on methadone is not fun. Also OTC analgesia helps a little or if you lucky to have gabapentin or pregabalin that would help too with. Quinine (tonic water) for your legs. Loperamide for diarrhoea. Buscopan for stomach cramps.

Keep reminding yourself that you will feel better. Remember to drink water and try to eat little but often. If you genuinely can't do it or relapse then for some people they do well on buprenorphine or methadone albeit the first, second or tenth time round. Don't be to hard on yourself. Also taking people's a advice over the internet shouldn't replace medical advice.

If you really want to get clean you will have deleted all your contacts and changed your number which you have done :) Good luck!

Last edited:
Where abouts are you in the world? If ur anywhere but the USA, over the counter codeine and dihydrocodeine could also be an option for an at home detox/taper

Go to chemist or wall mart buy generic lopermide it will help your never going to quit believe me not cold turkey.

theres nothing good that comes from it, period. just remember that when it gets tough, and yeah hobbies help alot, i g ot clean in june i been building a pc its fun, just find something that interests you. idk if this is appropriate but subs help alotttttttt to.

Great and priceless advice, thank you. My situation is a bit backwards in this regard... that's all I'll say about it. But, I have already changed my number, and supply was a 6 hour drive away, so that helps a bit. No sneaking off to meet the plug at the corner convenience store. Luckily I knew from the get that the people I've become acquainted with socially while using are anything but friends and I suffer no sense of loss there. And a slap in the face type wake up call of unwantEd visitors busting in our door at 7am (I don't know whatever for? Whatever it was they were looking for, they did not find, of course.) Made it very clear to me that not a single one of these acquaintances would ever lay their ass on the line or risk their own freedoms to help me out. Shit. The majority won't even repay a debt. And I'm sure most would sing like a bird if it meant their ass or mine. So fuck em. They'll sure miss me when I'm gone though! Haha!

Sorry. End rant. Anyway, time to grow up..... I was just supporting my habit and now, God willing, there will be no more habit....

I'm in a similar position
It's a little different when you're the one with the supply and I always think of the people that I'm going to leave hanging.
I'm not quite there yet but when I have detoxed getting a prescription for an anti-diarrheal helps. When I've gotten a kick kit at the hospital they include that plus trazadone for sleep, a mild anti anxiety med, clonidine, and gabapentin which is actually a seizure med.
Pot also helps some, make sure you're drinking water and I really would get something to keep you from shitting your brains out cause that's extra miserable.
Xanax is a good choice though so you can sleep thru as much as you can.
I realize it's been 2 days but I hope everything has been going okay for you!

I try not to use any antihistamines like benadryl or antipsychotics like trazodone or seraquel while in WD. They make my restless legs and arms A LOT worse. It's because there is an imbalance of the dopamine neurotransmitters in your brain that cause it. But you can't go wrong with gabapentin/lyrica, Imodium, clonidine, and a benzo taper til you get your subs.

Good luck OP.