• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos out of date xanax

xannyhead

Bluelighter
So.. I havent taken xans in like 5 months now, and I found 2 1mg footballs at home, and they are possibly over 2 years old, they were just left inside my old wallet for some reason. What are the problems and side effects of taking out of date xanax? Tonight I will have to work a lot on a project, like until past 2 am-ish, and tomorrow Ill probably wake up late and be unable to sleep early, so for me to sleep decently Id need to take those 2mg, is there any problem since they are pretty old and sort of unproperly ''stored''?

They should be okay. Ive taken plenty of expired medications with no problems. Ie. Hydrocodone and Xanax.

I'd found numerous full bottles once of peach .5mg Alprazolam that were several years old, more than three. They worked fine for me, didn't notice potency loss. Also had acquired Methylphenidate and Hydrocodone that day one bottle of each. The next couple weeks was very wonderful.

Most drugs are stable enough that expiry dates are rarely an issue - there was a great thread in either here, BDD or DC about 2 years ago about someone who picked up an antique bottle of original 'Heroin' branded diamorphine pills from a flea market or some such venue that he used and which, despite being them being the best part of a century old, he intimated that they worked fine.

Ill try and dig it out in the morning (he took pics and everything).

Edit: Here is the thread. It was posted in here back in 2016.
Antique FULL Heroin Tablets Bottle from 1906....What do you think?

I know it is an extreme example but I would say that if they were still, at least to an extent, active after 110 years (i underestimated how old they were) then most other drugs within professionally manufactured tablets that are only a couple of years out of date should still be relatively safe to use provided that they were stored well.

Last edited:
You would definitely be OK IME. The worst of it would be a slight loss of potency but it may actually be so small it wouldn't even be noticed. Mind you, that's for pills a few years out of date. As you push out the expiration dates, I'd be increasingly concerned but again, loss of potentcy is usually the worst of it. Good luck!

Hope it’s ok to jump on this thread....
I came across about 90 5mg Oxy’s (individually wrapped in bubble pack) that have been improperly stored for a long long time in our non-climate controlled workshop.
They expired in 2003.
I’ve already taken them a few times and only caught a tiny buzz. Do you think these are ok as far as safety is concerned?

My assumption is they’ve probably lost some strength, but due to my constant Kratom usage I find I can’t “feel” oxy anymore(sadly). I assume it’s still physically affecting my body though.

Note: these are left over from a pain patient, and we also found a 100ug fentanyl patch, also expired in 2003, which I promptly flushed. I have no desire to mess with Fentanyl. It scared me knowing it was even in my house...

I don't think it's DANGEROUS, but 2003 is pretty damn old. On the other hand, drugs aren't like food where microorganisms cause spoilage. What will most likely happen is a decrease (or sometimes even an INCREASE) in potency. So just be very careful as always; start with the minimum dose to see how it affects you, and don't take more until the effects are fully noticeable. I would try laying off the kratom for awhile and then trying the oxy. Kratom DOES cause tolerance, and the oxy high is IMO much better.

The xanax I have is like 3-4 years old and there were 0.5mg inside my old wallet and other 1mg in my drawer. All of these were not properly stored. Am I safe to use it?

One hundred percent.

Pharmaceutical companies have to make sure to cover their asses and assign expiry dates LONG before any actual degradation occurs - and even THEY often are many years away. 3-4 years isn't long at all. Even if they DID expire (they didn't), it just means some of the active drug breaks down and therefore causes a weakening of the overall effect. You can't get sick from taking expired meds unless possibly if they contain lipid residue or other stuff that actually CAN go bad. This definitely doesn't. Also, you DO need to keep in mind that a few drugs work by breaking down into a secondary substance which is the active ingredient, not the pill itself. It's possible that some drugs like this can strengthen, but I'm almost positive xanax isn't a problem. The dose is very small too, so you're totally fine in all aspects.