Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

OTC substitutes for Opiates and Benzos

Sustanon

Bluelighter
Hi all, ive researched quite a bit on this topic which is pretty much self explanotory. I have been using codeine, hydromorphone, morphine, alprazolam and DXM on a regular basis for quite some time now in different combinations at different doses. Id like to hear ur inputs and personal experiences as to how u have managed to wean urself off benzos and opiates using an OTC way without subies or done. Im planning to be opiate/benzo free except on the rare occasion as a treat like i do with other things.

For my opiate/benzo replacement i was thinking of making my own tea blend that would include one or more (all) of the following: Skullcap, Damiana, Passion flower, Blue lotus and Valerian root. I would love to hear of ur experiences particular for an opiate substitute as to how these worked n did they sort of replace the opiate feelings for u?

Would be nice if someone has made there own blend for this very reason or knows someone out there that has invented a formula that actually gives u a relaxed pleasant, sort of euphoric feeling combined with reduced anxiety and helping insomnia which i get if i havnt used benzos/opiates for a while. I know that there isnt a perfect replacement but sumfn to keep me off them would be great. Ime also planning to keep my caffeine intake low and possibly eliminate it from my diet which includes pre workout formulas for the gym which i find makes my anxiety alot worse. What are ur thoughts on this topic? What would u take and not take and why? Many thanks for everyone who can contribute to this thread as im sure alot of people suffer the same circumstances as me who are lookin for answers.

Those herbs wont help a thing, they are pretty much all old wives tales with no real scientific data backing up their claims. id put it down to placebo. The only thing that may help herbally is illegal which is Kratom. Or if you're lucky maybe Kava works for you.

Hmm ive tried kava, a good friend of mine brought a few ounces for me from Fiji which worked "ok". Id rather use sumfn that is legal and sumfn i can rely on in the long term. So plain and simple theres nothing at all that would mimic it?

Even if it did you would have to come off all the drugs first and be in withdrawal for most likely months if you take xanax multiple times a day

Mulungu might help a tiny bit along with the herbs mentioned? I wouldn't put too much faith in it though.

What would be the best thing to help one sleep regarding anti histamines? As in precise name.

Yeah both of those anti-histamines would be fine. Drink white tea as well. It won't help but it is REALLY good for you :)

I love my pharmacy. Its the cheap discount drug store and they sell 5-htp illegally, sell pseudo to you but take your ID, no ID for phenergan, codeine 40 pills, gels or doxylamine. And they dont ring up on any script, even hospital S8's. And they actually know what theyre talking about and never treat me like a criminal. Also helped me with Pill ID's before after i accidently swallowed some ovbary tablet thinking it was a lorazepam lol.

But maybe NSW laws arent as tight

^ Is 5-HTP illegal in NSW? In QLD you can buy it in pharmacies, I only know of a few that stock it.

I thought it was legal in QLD only but this information is pretty old

Next time I'm at the chemist i'll pickup some Phenergan and give that a shot for sleep. Thanks :)

^ Watch out for the drowsiness that persists into the next day... and the anti-cholinergic side effects such as dry mouth. It's a good antihistamine in general though. :)

I thought it was legal in QLD only but this information is pretty old

it is legal in qld though mostly acquire through a naturopath in my experiences. they give you a 30-45 min consultation to determine if you really need it. in other words it's up to their discretion much like buying OTC codeine, riko, etc

You can get 5-htp on eBay for about $[snip] delivered. Valerian root isn't much compared to benzos but I think it does work reasonably well at around 2000mg-4000mg.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Is 5-HTP illegal in NSW? In QLD you can buy it in pharmacies, I only know of a few that stock it.

It works out much much cheaper to simply buy it from overseas though. All legit so long as it's under 3 months personal use quantities :) The stuff that I've seen naturopaths in QLD dispense has been in formulas with a bunch of other vitamins etc.

^ I've seen 5-HTP pure (in capsules) at a certain store (;)) but it is pricey and does work out to be a lot more cost efficient buying it online. If you are desperate though, you know where to look for it. :)

I don't know if it's really relevant to the thread, but here is a bunch of things you can get OTC that ease withdrawals or maintain you for benzos or opiates:
Poppy seed tea, you can get kilos of the stuff at markets for very cheap
Codeine tablets can be had extremely cheap for 400mg worth
Rikodeine (200ml bottles)
Loperamide
Benadryl Nighttime Gels (50mg tablets) very cheap
Melatonin
Promethazine

I went to the chemist and asked for Phenergan (promethazine) explaining i wanted it for sleep. The pharmacist ended up giving me Restavit (doxylamine succinate) instead. Apparently it's actually listed for insomnia where as Phenergan isn't. It's supposed to be a little better for sleep too. I don't know how much truth there is to these statements, I'm just quoting one of the local pharmacists.

Anyway i just took one of these 25mg Restavit.. we'll see how it works for sleep.

one of the best ways to increase your ability to sleep is by general sleep hygiene. one of the most un-startling other pieces of advice would be to reduce you drug intake in general and improve your physical health.
As for the herbs you have mentioned they are going to have some benefit in some different ways, but when you talk about pharmaceutical opioid's and benzos- usually these are more potent than most plant based derivative of. there are a few opioid like chemicals which have been used in bush medicine for a while, but the concentration varies in these substances.

i guess for me the real kicker in the original post of "did they replace the feeling of opioids for you" statement- if you are thinking like this then you should probably stick with the opioid maintenance and reduction regime, as you still have the persistent desire there. the maintenance therapies have long half lives and more consistent quality and well documented information on them. If your already struggling with anxiety i would suggest that go to your GP and ask for a mental health care plan and get a referral to a psychologist or mental health social worker- make sure they are also trained in alcohol and drugs if possible. you will probably have more success abstaining if you deal with stress states now rather than when your weening of substances- increased stress and decreased tolerance can mean potential for OD of certain substances if you relapse using the same amount again.

there is the other option of doing a short term detox - either medicated or not and a short term rehab like kedesh house in Woolongong that is an 8 week program- theres quite a few options open to people now.

Just to let everyone know I have been off Hydromorphone, oxys, morphine and benzos for 5 months now. I occasionally take codeine every now and then and potentiate it with half a bar not like when i need 3-4 bars. I can only thank the good old herb to combat the WDs. Has been a lifesaver for me. Opiate WD's suck bad. Oh and thanks to everyone who was helping and supportive.