Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

OTC Codeine

Ah BT...I'm ever impressed with your vast chem knowledge
smile.gif
Thanks a lot for that...
DB

I found a product called Rapideine, it contains 10mg of codeine and 500mg of paracetamol, i think this is the higgest content i have found. It was cheap as well, $5 for 24 i think.

THE BIG LIST... for those who want details on all the aussie/nz OTC and prescription cold and flu gear...
http://codeinepub.tripod.com/products/products-au.html
Interesting inclusion in the above list:
Dia-Chek
Active: codeine phosphate 9.5mg
Excipients: aluminium hydroxide dried 400mg
Pack: 16 tablets (white, uncoated, marked Searle on one side and scored on the other)
Manufacturer: Pharmacia Australia
Comments: LDLO for aluminium hydroxide dried for intraperitoneal administration in rats is 150mg/kg
ex·cip·i·ent
n.
An inert substance used as a diluent or vehicle for a drug.
... make of that what you will. Not sure about the effect of high doses of aluminium hydroxide. Personally I'd rather go to the minor hassle of getting Panadiene Forte at 30mg codeine per tablet.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

i agree with chopped, after a bit of shopping i found my local chemist made "pain Killers" with 10mg of codeine and 500mg paracietamol, also only bout $5 a pack.

those of you who speak as if getting panadine forte is a simple task - I ENVY YOU!!!
--------------------

it's so easy for me, it's scary(i'm only 17!). i just tell the doctor i am getting chronic migraines, and he gives them to me no questions asked. i used to get migraines heaps, but not much anymore, but the docs don't know that!!!
also, while i'm on the topic of migraines, does anyone know anything about a medication called Imigran? the only ingredient is Sumatriptam 20mg, and i have been prescribed it for when I get a REALLY bad migraine, and Panadiene Forte won't work.
any info would be appreciated!

yeah, Sumatriptan i mean.
although that link is referring to another brand which uses tablets. the medication that has been given to me is in a nasal spray. the brand is Imigran.

Year my doc prescribed Immigran for me when i was getting really bad migraines ealier this year.
To be honest, it didn't really work that well for me - killed the migraine for an hour or two but then it came back. (btw these are the sorts of migraines that numerous panadene forte & lots of vodka did not put a dint in).
My doctor described it and the whole nasal spray thing as "like cocaine, only good for you!" LOL! While they act pretty much instantly, they have no recreational value and don't 'interact' with any other meds - to my knowledge. They are also kinda pricy if you arn't on a health care card.
The only thing that i found to work were strong arse sleeping tablets and even then they didn't knock me out. Thankfully i've found the source of my migraines - food allergies.
Btw can anyone tell me why 1 sleeping tablet will knock me out if i have insomina, but with a migraine - 3 tablets later and i'm not the slightest bit sleepy - migraine gone but very much up and awake?
[ 10 February 2003: Message edited by: miss slingshot ]

Just a note of caution. Do not use Disprin Forte. It contains water soluble asprin and hence the cold water extraction technique will not work.
Also, it probably wouldn't be worth downing 4-5 panadine forte because you would only get 150 mg codeine which is only the threshold dose (you really need 250-400 for good times, but start small incase of bad reactions). Do the cold water extraction.
Finally, I've found that the codeine/paracetamol capsules (not tablets), are the best for doing extractions with. You don't have to crush them, just empty capsule contents and you will have a very fine powder. Also, you will not need to use warm water, because there are no binders to disolve, and hence the extraction process is quicker and much purer (unlike paracetamol, codeine dissolves better in cold water). The liquid also passes through the filter much quicker without the binders etc. The brown filter papers are the ones i've found to be best (the white ones tend to break at the seam).
The capsules only have 8mg codeine each but extraction with them has a much better yield then the tablets.

Won't all that codiene make you constipated? Sounds like shitloads of trouble..

Nurofen plus is the shit if you're after OTC codeine. There's a thread on this somewhere else on BL (I think) - ibuprofen (the main ingredient in N+) doesn't mix well with codeine, so one segment of the tablet is codeine and the other ibuprofen. If you take the caplet and look at it like a hot dog bun (ie splitting lengthways, not at the score (this is easiest with your front teeth rather than a knife), the side with "N+" stamped on it is the codeine portion. You'll know when you get a split right as it'll be a smooth break, with the exposed edge of the codeine side being rounded. Basically, you'll get a concave/convex (I forget which is which!) split between the two halves if you do it right.
I thought this was bullshit when I first read about it, but quickly came to the conclusion that I was wrong after my first 300+mg dose of the codeine only sections.. mmmm :)
As an added bonus, N+ has 12.8mg of codeine per tab, which (AFAIK) is the highest OTC amount available.
(wonders whether revealing this is a good idea or not.. [raises finger at any prying media types])

Originally posted by hugose:
Won't all that codiene make you constipated? Sounds like shitloads of trouble..
yes well the absence of shitloads is the trouble really :) .
Thanks for info lsd303, will have to investigate further!

panadiene forte really isnt that hard to get if you know your docter especially if u have broken a bone recently or if his prescribed u to hard pain killers, complain about the pain and say that normal panadiene doesnt really help u unless u take 4 with in an hour or so, i dunno if i should say more coz i feel like im breaking the rules here but make sure u dont talk like a complete stoner with your doctor or u wont get shit.. good luck :)

I found a product called Rapideine, it contains 10mg of codeine and 500mg of paracetamol, i think this is the higgest content i have found. It was cheap as well, $5 for 24 i think.

Nurofen+ tabs contain 12.8mg codeine/200mg ibuprofen per tab. Imo the nurofen split trick is better than the messy extraction, even if the nurofen tabs are a little pricier. Pretty sure they are plentiful in Aus aswell.

I got a prescription for codeine Phosphate tablets for something i had a while ago, but i never actually bothered getting them. is there actually any difference that the phosphate part of it makes? or is that usual?

^ i think this is the same as the codeine linctus syrup that I got prescribed. the only active ingredient is codeine phosphate.. i had a terrible experience with this though..

panadiene fortes are easy to get - its called "i suffer from migraines"

works everytime - helps to tell the doctor you've been awake for the last 24hrs with a headache because you the OTC painkillers just didn't work and you were worried about taking to much paracentmol (can't be bothered spelling checking) - they love that shit that you followed the directions blah blah ....although its a toss up waiting for a dr in a crowded cesspool of society medical centre or eating awful tasting n+ sides.