• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Os there anything i can take to sleep through withdrawals?

crisler

Bluelighter
Im not even too concerned about overdosing or being technically unconscious I wouldn?t ask this if i were not desperate. Is there anything that will help you sleep during opiate withdrawals like sure fire way to sleep. Benadryl only caused scary trip like delirium and i have friends who have access to xanax was thinking about smashing those all day and night for 3-5 days. Anything helps man

Doxylamine Succinate.

It is sold over the counter in the USA. Usually in unisom (brand name) but you have to look on the box.
(Most contain diphenhydramine. Which makes the RLS worse. )

The Doxylamine is actually a hypnotic. So it is in the same category as Ambian.

Ambian is another good one for sleep.

Hope you feel better soon!

Don't know where you are located but if possible find a smoke/vape/head shop and git yerself some kratom (if an associate is familiar with kratom all the better). It may be relatively pricey (compared to online purchase) but convenience is key here, right? Compared to grabbing another handful of opies or risking becoming dependent on benzos (frying pan to fire metaphor in action, IME) the cost is negligible and justified.
Look for anything maeng da (supposedly superior but probably mislabeled to sell)....red, green or white raw powder if available (some will debate but it all works on basically the same paths). If it's in capsules it will work just dump it out for faster effect. Get a couple grams down and wait about 15-30 minutes. One may not notice any "high" but one may notice a lack of WDs....
Good luck... sadly; benzo would be my second choice.
One

The Doxylamine is actually a hypnotic. So it is in the same category as Ambian.

Sorry, but that is wrong.

Doxylamine is a first-generation antihistamine that is nowadays used for its sedating/hypnotic properties, just like diphenhydramine.
As such, it also possesses significant anticholinergic activity that is going to result in the same disturbing deliriant effects that OP encountered when taking too much diphenhydramine.

Its mechanism is completely different from that of zolpidem ("ambien"), which acts on GABA receptors in pretty much the same fashion that benzodiazepines like xanax do, except with a higher selectivity for specific subunits of the receptor.

Xanax or another benzo is probably your best bet. Muscle relaxers will help too. Along with ibprofun for muscle pain

Sorry, but that is wrong.

Doxylamine is a first-generation antihistamine that is nowadays used for its sedating/hypnotic properties, just like diphenhydramine.
As such, it also possesses significant anticholinergic activity that is going to result in the same disturbing deliriant effects that OP encountered when taking too much diphenhydramine.

Its mechanism is completely different from that of zolpidem ("ambien"), which acts on GABA receptors in pretty much the same fashion that benzodiazepines like xanax do, except with a higher selectivity for specific subunits of the receptor.

Well, oops. Sorry.
I remembered seeing it classified as a hypnotic. I thought Ambian was a hypnotic too.

I have used Ambian and the doxylamine feels and works very similar to Ambian for me.
I don't have any deliriant effects with either one. If I did, I did not notice because I was sleeping.
But it did not feel the same as diphenhydramine to me at all. It did not have that deliriant effect for me.
I have a sleeping disorder though. So things effect me differently with a lot of medication.

The doxylamine is the strongest thing I could find over the counter and it was the only thing besides Ambian that allowed me some sleep during opiate withdrawal. Neither doxylamine or Ambian made the restless legs/ body thing any worse for me.

Both of those medications calmed that down for me. Relaxed my body aches also.

Everyone is different. Those two work for me.
I cannot say what will work for anyone else.

Last edited:
Tizanidine, muscle relaxer lowers bp one 4mg tab typically knocks me out, got it prescribed for whiplash.

Im not even too concerned about overdosing or being technically unconscious I wouldn?t ask this if i were not desperate. Is there anything that will help you sleep during opiate withdrawals like sure fire way to sleep. Benadryl only caused scary trip like delirium and i have friends who have access to xanax was thinking about smashing those all day and night for 3-5 days. Anything helps man

Chamomile tea will relax you. Valerian root will help with the relaxation, but I have found it helps get into a deep sleep. Both Gabapentin and Lyrica will offset plenty of side effects as well. Gatorade will help you stay hydrated throughout. Benzodiazepines in general will help if you can keep your usage under control.

If you use the Xanax, what you need is what you want to use. Too much and it will simply mess with any after effects from the withdrawal. You know yourself best, but generally enough to take the edge off is the goal.

The muscle relaxers help. Try to avoid stopping them too fast if you use them.

Last edited:
I'm literally here because I can't sleep due to a phenibut taper. A Valerian root - diphenhydramine ,50mg combo can be enough to push you over the edge, but you get a kind of tolerance and its not always enough.

I remembered seeing it classified as a hypnotic. I thought Ambian was a hypnotic too.

"Hypnotic" literally just means "sleep-inducing".

So this class includes an extremely wide range of substances with a number of different mechanisms of action: benzodiazepines, antihistamines, melatonin, bromide salts, barbiturates, GHB, chloral hydrate, valerian, and many others... even ethanol could be considered a "hypnotic" drug (indeed, it has historically been arguably the most popular means of self-medicating for insomnia), as could morphine (after all, its name comes from the Greek god of dreams).

Doxylamine and diphenhydramine are considered "hypnotics" today because 1st generation antihistamines have largely been replaced as allergy medication by newer, peripherally acting antihistamines like loratadine (which lack the sedating side-effects of their predecessors), relegating these old-timey antihistamines to being mostly used as sleep aids.

Now, it is possible that relative to the desirable sedation, doxylamine could produce less unwanted side-effects, but someone with a serious tolerance to antihistamines (or just plain desperation due to a painful opioid withdrawal) might very well still find themselves taking enough to experience the effects of excessive anticholinergic action.

Chamomile doesn't always help me, sometimes drinking 3 cups, valerian root capsules i've taken seemed to help more but would probably combine with pot if a smoker, that should do it

Gabapentin. 4 x 600mg tablets works a treat for me. Didnt believe it first time i had tram wd, but time after time it certainly works, for me anyway.

"Hypnotic" literally just means "sleep-inducing".

So this class includes an extremely wide range of substances with a number of different mechanisms of action: benzodiazepines, antihistamines, melatonin, bromide salts, barbiturates, GHB, chloral hydrate, valerian, and many others... even ethanol could be considered a "hypnotic" drug (indeed, it has historically been arguably the most popular means of self-medicating for insomnia), as could morphine (after all, its name comes from the Greek god of dreams).

Doxylamine and diphenhydramine are considered "hypnotics" today because 1st generation antihistamines have largely been replaced as allergy medication by newer, peripherally acting antihistamines like loratadine (which lack the sedating side-effects of their predecessors), relegating these old-timey antihistamines to being mostly used as sleep aids.

Now, it is possible that relative to the desirable sedation, doxylamine could produce less unwanted side-effects, but someone with a serious tolerance to antihistamines (or just plain desperation due to a painful opioid withdrawal) might very well still find themselves taking enough to experience the effects of excessive anticholinergic action.

I didn't have the numbers, so I didn't elaborate on the doxylamine, but I have found it to be smoother on occasion when I needed to use 1st generation antihistamines.

Hydroxyzine works very well with subjectively much less anticholinergic effects. Viable option.

Small dose of Kratom will be AMAZING. I was withdrawing from Heroin and I tried that, and it literally CHANGED MY LIFE. Not only did it take away all my withdrawal symptoms, but it also helped me sleep at night. That is the only reason why I'm off the needle now.