• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Oregon becomes first US state to decriminalize drugs

I am hoping and praying that I can use heroin legally in my life time. It's the only drug that helps me function and makes me happy without all the sick side effects of psychiatric medicines. I'm tired of the stigma and it being illegal.

I hope this starts a trend, cause I sure as hell would never live in Oregon. lol

Nope, this is proper decriminalization. A $100 fine is the maximum allowed penalty. Of course, the drugs are still federally illegal, so it's only decriminalization insofar as federal police and prosecutors decide to leave drug possessors in Oregon be (which I imagine they will for the most part).
Right, so if a cop wanted to still arrest an Oregonian for drug possession, how would he do it?

As i far as i know, Its the prosecution lawyer who decides whether a drug charge is tried either by a) state law b) or federal law

So, if drugs are decriminalized, can police arrest the possessor through dishonest means?

Perhaps police could say, the drugs were intent to be sold (even though he knows they werent), then a lawyer tries him by federal possession laws?

(I am not American)

Thanks!

So, if drugs are decriminalized, can police arrest the possessor through dishonest means?

Perhaps police could say, the drugs were intent to be sold (even though he knows they werent), then a lawyer tries him by federal possession laws?
You’d have to have more than the specified amounts given in the law. I don’t remember the exact numbers so don’t quote me on this but I think with meth it’s 2 g, for example

So under 2 g and you will only charged with misdeameanor possession. Above 2 g and they can start looking into adding trafficking charges

You’d have to have more than the specified amounts given in the law. I don’t remember the exact numbers so don’t quote me on this but I think with meth it’s 2 g, for example

So under 2 g and you will only charged with misdeameanor possession. Above 2 g and they can start looking into adding trafficking charges
I understand that 💯 percent

After brazil decriminalized, MORE people ended up in prison on drug charges because the law didnt state quantify possession vs trafficking

Doesnt answer my question, so let me clarify. If a cop brings in a druggie for a BS reason, can the lawyer then still choose to prosecute possession under federal- not state - law?

Dr musto states in his book that in usa lawyers are more influential than judges in determining sentences, as lawyers choose whether to prosecute under a) state or b) federal law

I understand that 💯 percent

After brazil decriminalized, MORE people ended up in prison on drug charges because the law didnt state quantify possession vs trafficking

Doesnt answer my question, so let me clarify. If a cop brings in a druggie for a BS reason, can the lawyer then still choose to prosecute possession under federal- not state - law?

Dr musto states in his book that in usa lawyers are more influential than judges in determining sentences, as lawyers choose whether to prosecute under a) state or b) federal law
Ah ok I misunderstood your question

I’m not a lawyer but my understanding is that yes you could be prosecuted federally for a drug crime, regardless of state laws

In theory, the DEA could go into Colorado and shut down the entire industry. That would likely be via the DEA suing Colorado (or any state with legal weed/other progressive drug laws). See these comments from a while back

For an individual, I’m unsure if a lawsuit like that would apply. But I’m almost positive the DEA can prosecute in some form if they want to. If they can do to it a state govt I’d be surprised if it can’t be done to you

Ah ok I misunderstood your question

I’m not a lawyer but my understanding is that yes you could be prosecuted federally for a drug crime, regardless of state laws

In theory, the DEA could go into Colorado and shut down the entire industry. That would likely be via the DEA suing Colorado (or any state with legal weed/other progressive drug laws). See these comments from a while back

For an individual, I’m unsure if a lawsuit like that would apply. But I’m almost positive the DEA can prosecute in some form if they want to. If they can do to it a state govt I’d be surprised if it can’t be done to you
Perfect 👍 thanks