• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Oral syringes

MDPV_Psychosis

Bluelighter
The numbers/markings always start rubbing off my plastic oral syringes after just a few uses. This is frustrating because I'd rather keep washing them and then reusing them for awhile but it ends up being unreadable quite quickly. Don't know if this is due to any contact with the solvents used (alcohol, pg, peg, etc) or just from normal wear and exposure to water.

Are there brands that are better quality where this doesn't happen? Or do I need to consider using something else like a pipette or maybe something made of glass? Most of the time I'm using a 1ml plastic oral syringe though there have been times when I need to use a 10ml one.

They are all the same.

Maybe etch out the ml markings with a knife if you go through them quickly 🤔

Shame. I'll probably just end up buying a huge box of them then and then only use each on a few times until is unreadable and then switch to a fresh one. Was hoping I could keep using the same one daily for like weeks or months but the numbers really do start to rub off very quickly. I may give your etching suggestion a try @negrogesic and/or maybe something like a fine tip sharpie pen to redo markings as they disappear (although the ink in sharpie pens may be deteriorated by the solvents in the solutions as well)

I did a quick search and found these glass 1ml oral syringes but don't know if the ink on them is going to be any more permanent though I'd hope so:

There were these 1 mL oral syringes that I got from a pharmacist once, 5 for a dollar, that were made from rigid orange plastic whose measuring numbers and scale seemed way more resilient than the black-on-clear-plastic 1 mL dosing syringe i've found everywhere else. I remember them being susceptible to direct contact with solvents but that will always be a problem, everything else about them seemed built to last, the plastic noticeably heavier, the plunger smoother - felt like the piston in a BMW engine or something. It's been a few years so I be remembering them overly-fondly; when i search online for 'orange oral dosing syringe' what i find doesn't look exactly the same, mine I believe had white rather than black markings. If you ever come across something like this that'd be my only recommendation, good luck

Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for those orange ones you mentioned.

I've found that the really cheap ones are especially prone to this, the ink can start to wear off as quickly as the first or second use. Even the rubber seal part at the end of the plunger can start to degrade or deform pretty quickly, it's probably best to only use these a few times before moving on to a fresh one.

I did find some higher quality ones where the markings are etched into the plastic and the ink is laid into these etchings. This results is that the ink lasts longer but it still starts to wash/wear away after like a week or two of daily usage.

i guess I'm just gonna have to accept that these are mostly disposable items with a short lifespan, can't expect to keep washing and reusing the same one from now until the end of time...

I'd just scratch some hash marks into the painted graduations before they wear off, some roman numerals can be scribed above the hashes to keep track of the milliliter marks. You might need to give it a closer glance but that should solve your issue, just make sure you remember the total volume of the syringe so you can work out the graduations on each hash.

Yes that's been working too for the cheaper ones that aren't already etched.I've also been redrawing the markings on top of my own etchings with a fine tip sharpie which seems to hold up for a little while as well.

It's nice to start using a fresh one though, much easier to see, the plunger runs smooth and it draws up nicely. They just start to work crappy after awhile so the markings disappearing seems to be not the only problem. Once I find a brand I really like I'm probably just gonna buy a huge box and then swap for a new one like every week or so.