• Psychedelic Medicine
  • Psychedelic Medicine Moderator: mr peabody
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Addiction Opioids

mr peabody

Moderator: PM
Staff member
Welcome! Following is a DIGEST of articles and reports that is constantly updated. Jump in!

What Is Iboga?

Tabernanthe iboga is a powerful psychedelic from West Africa that has been in use for centuries in traditional healing ceremonies. It can be used in its traditional form from the root bark of the plant (known as iboga), or in the laboratory-isolated form of ibogaine which only contains the central psychoactive substance (known as ibogaine). Today iboga is best known for its miraculous ability to cure or drastically reduce addiction to substances like alcohol, crack cocaine, and heroin in a single treatment. It can also help people overcome addiction to prescription opiates such as morphine, methadone, Vicodin, Percocet, and OxyContin. While this may sound too good to be true, scores of personal testimonies and now clinical research is backing up this claim, and iboga treatment centers are popping up all over the world specializing in treating addiction, post traumatic stress, and mood disorders.

Ibogaine addiction recovery therapy

Ibogaine is an indole alkaloid found in the bark of the root of the African shrub Tabernan. It has strong anti-addictive qualities, including high efficacy in acute opioid withdrawal and addiction. In laymens terms, Ibogaine is a secret tribal hallucinogen that helps you achieve your two most difficult goals.

1) Ibogaine can significantly reduce opiate/opioid withdrawal symptoms in under 24 hours.

2) Ibogaine eliminates the desire for opiates/opioids. Many people who have taken Ibogaine swear that it cured their addiction altogether.

Ibogaine treatment has a mortality rate of 1 in 300, with deaths coming from brachycardia (heart rate slowing way down) and lethal combinations with other drugs. The risks of this treatment should therefore be weighed very carefully, and flood treatment should only be done in a medical setting.

Ibogaine is not currently approved for any medical uses in the U.S. It is used as an alternative medicine treatment for drug addiction in some countries. Its prohibition has slowed scientific research. The use of Ibogaine for drug treatment is now accepted in Canada, Mexico, France, and the UK. In many cases, administration of a therapeutic course of Ibogaine is followed by intensive counseling therapy. Often more than one round of the drug is needed for lasting sobriety.

CAUTIONARY GUIDELINES

People with any kind of heart condition should not use ibogaine or iboga in any form.

People who have a bad reaction to the test dose should discontinue ibogaine treatment.

People who have any kind of liver conditions should not do ibogaine or iboga in any form.

People who are on any kind of medications which cause long QT syndrome for which ibogaine will make you temporarily sensitive to should discontinue those meds unless necessary. If those meds are necessary they should not take iboga or ibogaine.

People who have found abnormalities on the EKG, stress test, or CBC/liver panel should not take ibogaine or iboga until if and when those conditions are resolved.

People on MAOIs, SSRIs, or any other psych meds should not take iboga or ibogaine until those meds have cleared the system, we recommend not stopping needed psych meds to take iboga. Some of these medications may potentiate iboga or lead to serotonin syndrome.

If you are currently addicted to benzodiazepines, barbiturates, GHB, GBL, 1,4-BDO, phenibut or alcohol, it is recommended you get through the acute withdrawals before taking ibogaine, as abruptly discontinuing those drugs may lead to seizures. Ibogaine will not eliminate the withdrawals from Gabaergic drugs although it can help with cravings. If you choose to ignore this recommendation then you must tell you treatment provider and your provider must have a Gabaergic drug on hand in case any seizures should happen.

Clinical Guidelines for Ibogaine-Assisted Detoxification

Howard Lotsof (March 1, 1943 to January 31, 2010) was an American scientific researcher who discovered and pioneered the use of ibogaine as a medicine for the treatment of substance addictions. In 1962, at the age of 19, Lotsof was addicted to heroin and accidentally discovered the anti-addictive effects of ibogaine. He attended Fairleigh Dickinson University, and then New York University, graduating with a degree in film in 1976.

Lotsof authored and co-authoring numerous research papers and was awarded a number of patents for the treatment of various chemical dependencies with ibogaine. The first of his patents, issued in 1985, was Rapid Method for Interrupting the Narcotic Addiction Syndrome. The last patent for the use of ibogaine to treat chemical dependence was Rapid Method for Interrupting or Attenuating Poly-Drug Dependency Syndromes. Lotsof was active in promoting the medical use and further research of ibogaine and had an interest in chemical dependence patient advocacy including authoring the Ibogaine Patients' Bill of Rights.

The systematic use of ibogaine was developed first by the Bwiti discipline from where it originated, by the Babongo, Mitsogo and Fang peoples of Gabon and Cameroon, while Western clinical treatment, mostly for the treatment of substance addictions, was pioneered by Lotsof and others. In the 1980s, Lotsof convinced a Belgian company to manufacture Ibogaine in capsule form and performed successful trials in the Netherlands. The use of ibogaine spread across Europe, and was brought to the Americas by Eric Taub in 1992, who had contacted Lotsof in 1989. Lex Kogan later joined Taub and systematized the treatment of ibogaine with centers across the world, and further academic research and trials were conducted by Deborah Mash. As the use of ibogaine spread, its administration has varied widely, with some groups administering it systematically with well developed methods and medical personnel, while many use or administer it haphazardly in a way that many believe is dangerous.

Lotsof was a member of the Board of Directors of the National Alliance of Methadone Advocates and President of the Dora Weiner Foundation. In March of 2009, Lotsof was honored for his discovery of ibogaine's antiaddictive effects during the Sayulita, Mexico ibogaine Provider and Facilitator conference. Some fifty experts from around the world joined to present on ibogaine and associated subjects.

Mr. Lotsof died on January 31, 2010, aged 66, from liver cancer.

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member
Following are downloadable studies on the efficacy of ibogaine in the treatment of drug addiction.
STUDY: A mixed-method analysis of persisting effects associated with positive outcomes following ibogaine detoxification - Davis, et al. - 2018
STUDY: A phenomenological analysis of the subjective experience elicited by ibogaine in the context of a drug dependence treatment - Schenberg, et al. (2017)
STUDY: A phenomenological investigation into the lived experience of ibogaine and its potential to treat opioid use disorders - Camlin, et al. - 2018
PAPER: An end to the opioid epidemic: New study suggests ibogaine treatment could be a game changer - Garcia, Barsuglia (2017)
PAPER: An ibogaine treatment protocol - Geerte for the Lindesmith Centre
THESIS: Breaking the habit: Ibogaine as a viable treatment for opioid dependence and withdrawal - Matthew Styles (2014)
STUDY: Case studies of ibogaine treatment: Implications for patient management strategies - Lotsof, Alexander (2001)
STUDY: Changes in withdrawal and craving scores in participants undergoing opioid detoxification utilizing Ibogaine - Malcolm, Polanco, Barsuglia - 2018
STUDY: Clinical guidelines for ibogaine-assisted detoxification - Dickinson, McAlpin, Wilkins, Fitzsimmons, Guion, Paterson, Greene, Chaves (2016)
STUDY: Detoxification from methadone using low, repeated, and increasing doses of ibogaine: A case report - Wilkins, et al. (2017)
THESIS: Experiences of opioid detoxification using ibogaine in various treatment settings - Jamie Walker (2016)
STUDY: Ibogaine and addiction in the animal model, a systematic review of and meta-analysis - Belgers, et al. (2016)
STUDY: Ibogaine as a potential anti-addictive treatment - Nor Ilyani Mohamed Nazar (2014)
STUDY: Ibogaine as an alternative and efficacious treatment for heroin addiction - Amadon, Roecker
STUDY: Ibogaine detoxification transitions opioid and cocaine abusers between dependence and abstinence: Clinical observations and treatment - Mash, et al. - 2018
STUDY: Ibogaine effect on cocaine craving and use in dependent patients: A double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study - Pedro Luis Prior, Sergio Luiz Prior (2014)
STUDY: Ibogaine for opioid use disorder: Can we root out addiction at its source? - Shuang Ouyang (2016)
PAPER: Ibogaine in the treatment of chemical dependence disorders: Clinical perspectives - Howard Lotsof (1995)
STUDY: Ibogaine in the treatment of heroin withdrawal - Mash, Kovera, Pablo (2001)
STUDY: Ibogaine in the treatment of substance dependence - Thomas Kingsley Brown (2013)
THESIS: Ibogaine offers an alternative approach for treating opiate addiction - Christopher Nielsen - 2018
STUDY: Ibogaine treatment outcomes for opioid dependence from a twelve-month follow-up observational study - Noller, Frampton, Yazar-Klosinski (2016)
STUDY: Ibogaine: An anti-addictive drug: Pharmacology and time to go further in development - Maciulaitis, Kontrimaviciute, Bressolle, Briedis - 2008
STUDY: Ibogaine: A novel anti-addictive compound - A comprehensive literature review - Freedlander, DiClemente (2003)
STUDY: Ibogaine: A review - Kenneth Alper (2015)
STUDY: Ibogaine: Treatment outcomes and observations - MAPS (2003)
STUDY: Life after ibogaine: An exploratory study of the long-term effects of ibogaine treatment on drug addicts - Ehud Bastiaans (2004)
STUDY: Mechanisms of action of ibogaine: Relevance to putative therapeutic effects and development of a safer iboga alkaloid congener - Glick, et al. (2001)
STUDY: Novel pharmacotherapeutic treatments for cocaine addiction - Daryl Shorter, Thomas Kosten (2011)
STUDY: Receptor binding profile suggests multiple mechanisms of action are responsible for ibogaine's putative anti-addictive activity - Sweetnam, et al. (1994)
STUDY: Remission of severe opioid use disorder with ibogaine: A case report - Cloutier-Gill, Wood, Millar, Ferris, Socias (2016)
STUDY: Subjective effectiveness of ibogaine treatment for problematic opioid consumption: Short- and long-term outcomes - Davis, et al. (2017)
STUDY: The antiaddictive effects of ibogaine: A systematic literature review of human studies - Dos Santos, Bouso, Hallak (2016)
STUDY: The use of ibogaine in the treatment of addictions - Kenneth Alper, Howard Lotsof (2007)
STUDY: Treating drug dependence with the aid of ibogaine: A qualitative study - Schenberg, de Castro Comis, Alexandre, Chaves, T́ogoli, Dartiu, da Silveira (2016)
STUDY: Treating drug dependence with the aid of ibogaine: A retrospective study - Schenberg, de Castro Comis, Chaves, da Silveira (2014)
STUDY: Treatment of acute opioid withdrawal with ibogaine - Alper, Lotsof, Frenken, Luciano, Bastiaans (1999)
STUDY: Treatment of opioid use disorder with ibogaine: Detoxification and drug use outcomes - Brown, Alper (2017)
STUDY: Treatment of opioid use disorder with ibogaine_Detoxification and drug use outcomes: Clinical rationale - Brown, Alper (2017)

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

Resets & relapses: Ibogaine's role in combating opiate addiction

By Benjamin Taub

In a recent TED Talk, journalist Johann Hari suggested that "The opposite of addiction is not sobriety. The opposite of addiction is connection." In other words, drug misuse often occurs as an attempt to fill the void when the social bonds that give meaning to our lives are missing or broken.

To highlight his point, Hari cites Bruce Alexander's Rat Park experiment, in which rodents kept in solitary confinement displayed a high propensity for drug misuse, while those with social stimulation did not. Naturally, this experiment is unlikely to ever be repeated using human subjects, although having spent the past year working at an ibogaine treatment centre, my experiences all point towards a very similar conclusion.

By way of introduction, ibogaine is a highly psychoactive alkaloid found in the root bark of a West African shrub called iboga. Because of its potent hallucinogenic effects, the plant has been used in spiritual healing and initiation rituals by indigenous communities for centuries, and in 1962 somehow found its way into the hands of a heroin-dependent New Yorker named Howard Lotsof.

After ingesting the substance and undergoing an intense psychedelic trip, Lotsof was astounded to discover that his opiate withdrawals and cravings had completely vanished -- an effect which has since been confirmed by a number of small-scale clinical studies.

As a consequence, an underground network of global ibogaine providers has sprung up over recent decades in places like Mexico, Costa Rica and New Zealand. However, with the substance being outlawed in several countries (including the US) and totally unregulated by the mainstream pharmaceutical industry, it remains off the table as an official treatment option.

Therefore, while some have labeled ibogaine a magic bullet for addiction -- citing the many anecdotal reports of people who have managed to end years of drug misuse with just a single dose of ibogaine -- the reality is that research into its long-term effects has been stunted, making it hard to separate the facts from the hype.

Yet if there's one thing I've learned from working with ibogaine, it's that it doesnt cure addiction all by itself. Rather, as the following case studies highlight, when combined with the healthy restructuring of someones social environment, it can provide a unique and powerful tool in the quest of those seeking to tackle their addiction.

Erika's story

"I saw myself shrink into oblivion and just disappear off the face of the Earth, before re-emerging as a new-born baby. It's like I've been given the chance to start again as a completely new person -- like a second opportunity."

This was how Erika described her ibogaine experience immediately after her treatment. Like almost all patients, she felt her withdrawals completely disappear soon after ingesting the substance, while at the same time undergoing an intense physical and psychological detox, which manifested itself as a vision of her own death. She described the sensation as 'a kind of bodily and mental reset.'

However, within two months of her treatment, Erika relapsed. Trying to come to terms with how this happened, she explained that although she didn't feel any physical cravings, she simply did not know how to live without drugs, and was unable to occupy the social world of people not suffering from addiction.

"I tried to make new friends so that I could leave all my old contacts behind and start again, but none of them really understood me," she said. "So in the end I had nowhere to go with this second opportunity that ibogaine had given me."

As a result, she soon found herself back at the house of her ex-boyfriend, who had always been her main supplier of heroin, and it wasn't long before she began using again.

Summing up, Erika stated that "ibogaine can give you the chance to start over, but if you go back to all your old places and your old people, it won't work. You'll just become your old self again."

Erika's story exemplifies Hari's point, that tackling addiction requires more than just physical sobriety; it involves the construction of a new lifestyle, supported by new social relations.

By allowing users to temporarily shed parts of their ego, along with their withdrawals, the ibogaine-reset effect represents just the first step of this process: it offers a doorway out of the world of addiction, but doesn't necessarily provide anywhere else to go; it breaks a persons bond with a drug, but doesnt replace that bond with a new and healthier one.

Therefore, as the following case demonstrates, successfully leaving addiction behind can more often than not only be achieved by connecting to others.

David's story

"I visualised all the bad relationships in my life, and realised I had to end them. Then I saw myself covered in black horns, which began falling off one by one. It was like the old me was dying and I was becoming a new person, like a total reset."

David's description of his ibogaine experience bears many similarities to that of Erikas, with the main difference being that one year later, he hasn't relapsed. This he attributes to his ability to develop his identity as a new person, not only in his own eyes but those of others as well.

"Since my treatment, everyone says I'm a different person" he explains. This has enabled him to repair many of his broken relationships and transform his social environment. For instance, he claims that "even my mother, who previously wanted nothing to do with me, says I'm completely different now, so shes accepted me back into the house. We've even gone into business together."

Thus, while ibogaine provided David with the tools to overcome his cravings and face his demons, it was the support of those around him that ultimately helped. Unlike Erika he had somewhere else to go. His final assessment of ibogaine subsequently mirrors Hari's opening sentiments: "Ibogaine gives you that reset that everyone talks about, but it only works if you have a support network which you can integrate into the process. As long as you can do that, you'll be OK afterwards."

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

What I learned from treating 400+ patients with ibogaine

by Bruno Gomes, M.A. | March 13, 2017

Since the middle of the 90s, there has been a renewed interest in the possible positive effects of many different plants and substances such as LSD, “magic” mushrooms and psilocybin, ayahuasca or iboga. Many new and rigorous scientific studies have been showing promising evidence that those substances are suitable for the treatment of many diseases and disorders such as obsessive-compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, substance abuse or even depression. With so many possibilities, we could easily assume that psychedelics are the new panacea capable of curing any ailment. But, what is this cure? How does it happen? How similar are those curing processes to those of conventional medicine?

I’m a psychologist in Brazil and, after more than ten years working with homeless crack-cocaine users, I got involved with ayahuasca and ibogaine treatments, curious about what they could offer. Could these substances help my patients, who I have been struggling so hard to take care of? Since then, I have studied and assisted a group of recovering homeless individuals using ayahuasca, a brew made with Amazonian plants, most commonly Psychotria viridis and Banisteriopsis caapi. I’ve also treated around 400 patients with problematic drug use by using ibogaine. Ibogaine is a substance derived from the root bark of the African plant iboga (Tabernanthe iboga). Both ayahuasca and ibogaine have intense effects on the user’s perception of the world and oneself.

These substances are classified as entheogens, hallucinogens and plant teachers, depending on how they are used. The ayahuasca treatment I studied integrated the rituals of 2 traditional ayahuasca cultures - vegetalismo, with its purges and diets, and the musical healing rituals of Santo Daime. In this context, the brew is considered a plant teacher: a substance with a spirit that communicates with humanity through its effects. The ibogaine treatment, on the other hand, is much more similar to regular medicine. Ibogaine is extracted from the plant, processed by a pharmaceutical laboratory, and then prescribed by a medical doctor in a hospital.

These contexts affect the use and understanding of the substances, therefore changing what is experienced by the patient. This is even more evident when comparing different ayahuasca rituals. The same ayahuasca decoction in the context of a Santo Daime ritual, with bright light and everyone singing together—and then in a Shipibo indigenous ritual, in complete darkness, guided only by the curandero’s voice—will elicit a very different experience.

Especially interesting in this complex relationship between setting and experience is the element of mystery. Within a medical context, and never having heard about the African traditional cults with iboga, many patients that I’ve given ibogaine to still reported seeing or being visited by the “iboga spirit”; usually an old African woman or ancestral healer.

The reports and testimonials about these 2 substances are very impressive: the intensity of the experiences, as well as the sudden and deep transformations gained through them, attract more users every day; either looking for something new or different, or a spiritual or healing experience. Together with these reports, new scientific research on ayahuasca and iboga shows promising new and effective treatments for problematic drug use and alcoholism. There’s also constantly new data to show psychedelic substances use in treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder, tobacco dependence and PTSD.

In the context of these reports, patients interested in ibogaine treatment often expect a new and powerful medicine. As aspirin reduces fever, they expect ibogaine to take their drug dependency away; something fast and effective that solves the problem for good. It would be perfect if ibogaine or ayahuasca could cure with the speed of aspirin, no matter the setting. With aspirin, it doesn’t matter where one takes it or if one believes in it, it will still reduce fever. With psychedelics, it’s not like that: the patient’s expectancy, his trust in those responsible for the experience, as well as what happens in the surrounding environment, will exert an intense influence on the experience.

These factors not only affect the experience, but also the outcome. The experience with the substance needs to be part of a process in which certain things happen before and after the experience itself. A recent study at Johns Hopkins' showed the impressive effects of psilocybin sessions in stopping cigarette smoking in patients for more than 6 months. But, psilocybin has this effect when inserted in a process like the one on the study, with sessions of cognitive-behavioral therapy. It’s not as simple as eating psilocybin “magic” mushrooms and then losing the craving to smoke, although it would be wonderful if it were that easy!

How can an intense psychedelic experience lead to important changes in daily life? We need to desire them, and make a determined effort to change. Usually, those kinds of changes are supported in a relationship, be it with a therapist, a doctor, a healer, a shaman, a religious leader, or a group. Each one of the psychedelic substances tested exist within a context: specific ways of understanding the substance use and different ways of dealing with them; sometimes, in a religious, modern or traditional ritual. Those relationships are important for the patient when going through the process, and also to give meaning to the experience.

Many patients arrive expecting a “magic pill,” a new medicine that would solve everything for them, and that has a negative effect on their process. I receive patients in my office before, and after they take ibogaine. Most of the time I can clearly see a difference: they are calmer, it’s easier to face daily challenges and focus on what is important in their lives, and there’s a lack of craving. But it doesn’t mean that the addiction is cured, and not all of them can take advantage of these effects to really overcome their problem.

After ibogaine, many patients are aware of all they need to change in their lives; but really changing their habits is usually harder, as it depends on the patients. If the substance had solved everything for them, why change anything else in their routine? Many of them can’t get out of their established routines, and after, they just go on living in the same way: going to the same bars, meeting the same friends, looking for the same types of pleasures, and one day or another they’ll return to problematic drug use. When we need to change, it will always require effort from ourselves, but if we expect for someone or something to solve our problems for us, it may not be possible.

So, despite the increasing interest in ayahuasca, iboga, ibogaine, psilocybin, and other psychedelics in general, those substances, and the experiences they trigger, are still a new and vast continent to be explored. We are only now beginning to understand the complex interactions between psychedelic substances, psychology, and the setting in which people consume the psychedelic substances. It seems that psychedelics function differently from the traditional Western medicine remedies, and may be better understood as a therapeutic tool.

https://chacruna.net/treating-patients-with-ibogaine-ayahuasca/

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

What happens on ibogaine

by German Lopez

A large dose of ibogaine can prevent opioid withdrawal, and eliminate craving for painkillers and heroin for up to months at a time, making it a potent tool for detox. And the psychedelic experience can cause what users describe as a profound shift in perspective, allowing them to see their life more clearly and make important adjustments for the better.

I spoke to two recovering opioid addicts, Steve and Kevin, who took ibogaine at a medical clinic where the drug is administered to treat drug abuse.

Steve's description of his hallucinogenic trip captures just how intense it can be :

"I felt like I was flying around outer space in my soul. I later realized that it was the infinite universe. I'm floating around in this place, hearing this buzzing noise in the background, but experiencing nothing but pure joy and happiness. It made me realize what our purpose is here, that we're all spiritual beings on a spiritual experience, the ride is whats important, and how to be a good person."

Kevin explained a similar intense phenomenon: "It corresponded with this intense visual experience in which I had my eyes closed, and my vision was just catapulted outside my mind into this abstract vision that looked like being in space. It was very, very exotic, and came on very strongly and powerfully, but none of it was scary. I felt very safe."

The closed eyes are an important detail: Unlike LSD and magic mushrooms, ibogaine doesn't tend to cause visual hallucinations in a person's surroundings. It invokes something closer to a dreamlike trance, which produces astonishing visuals when a user's eyes are shut. People describe anything from traveling through space, like Kevin, to seeing dead relatives who relay important wisdom.

"The hallucination is really important, Steve said. It lets you unplug, where there's no cellphones, no anxiety, money has no meaning, all possessions in your life have zero meaning. So you're sitting in a dark room, and you can sit there and talk to your inner self and figure out what's truly important in your life."

Kevin said ibogaine allowed him to pursue traditional, abstinence-focused treatments he previously rejected. Those were, he said, crucial to getting clean, but he wasn't open to them before ibogaine.

"Ibogaine changed my relationship with addictive drugs, he said. It opened the window for me to actually embrace life without drugs. I feel like it provided me with an opportunity to face my everyday living without feeling like I needed to be high."

Ibogaine's detox effects and hallucinogenic experience make it easier for addicts to find that good environment: With fresh perspective and no cravings calling them back to heroin, addicts stand a much better chance of recovery. It worked for Steve and Kevin.

• • •

Ibogaine was more powerful than anything I had ever imagined, even with extensive experience with psychedelics. It was as if I was part of an all-knowing universe, one that knew me and loved me absolutely. It took me all the way to the bottom of myself, showed me everything about my life, all the stuff about my addiction, my relationships, my family, my ancestors, my lineage, everything and everyone like, intertwined. I saw that it was all right, and I was able to just let go of trying to control, impress, fix, judge, condemn. I was able, at last, to simply surrender.

I felt as though I was being restructured from the ground up, at the very cellular level, renewed, restored, reborn. Even telling it now, I'm not even close to how powerful and intense it was. At a point I found myself in my bed, which was burning with a magenta fire, a flame of purification. All around my bed, and within the fire, were these tiny brown ladies chanting and singing and praying and meditating over me. I recognized them as my ancient ancestors, saw myself at the center of a timeless transdimensional healing ritual. I knew it was time to for me to receive this, that it was something like a karmic unfolding, a very important moment in my life. It was like coming home after being gone for a very long time.

My aftercare and early recovery were extremely challenging. My body was in an extreme detox for several months, night sweats, nausea, dehydration, manic restless legs, long sleepless nights. It got a little better every day, but it was a really tough time. There were times when I literally begged Martin to put me back on suboxone. He and the Clinic staff stayed in close touch with me throughout the entire process. At one point, I actually had a pill in my hand. I was right on the edge, just about to take it when the phone rang. It was Deanne, my counselor, and she's like, "What're you doing right now?" That call was an absolute miracle. I swear it saved my life.

I've been clean for a year and a half now. There were still some challenging times, but I was so much clearer, and I got so much better. The Clinic supported me all the way. I still talk to Deanne all the time. I've got a job that I love, an amazing new boyfriend, my relationships with my family are healed; my life is totally different than it was. Im healthier and happier than I can ever remember being. I have no craving or desire for the drugs that used to control my life. It is as if they have simply been removed from my life. Ive been given a chance to hit the reset button, to begin my life again.

Ibogaine is not a miracle drug. You have to really want it, and you have to be willing to do the work, and it is some of the most challenging work I've ever done in my life. You also want to make sure you're doing it safely, with people you know you can trust. But if you are ready, then ibogaine will definitely change your life.

-Amanda

• • •

My ibogaine treatment was the most intense, scary, overwhelming, powerful and profoundly beneficial experience of my life. There's just no way to put it into words, especially if you don't have extensive experience with psychedelics. It goes way beyond anything I ever experienced before. I could talk for hours about it, but to be honest, it's not the trip itself that matters. It's what happens after, in how you take the things ibogaine teaches you and put them to work in your life. The bottom line is that ibogaine did what it promised, did what I was praying for: it took me through opiate detox with no withdrawals or cravings. But I also recognized that my freedom depended on my willingness to leverage to it to change my life in a radical way.

I dove into action through the window ibogaine opened for me. I got very involved in 12-step recovery, worked the steps relentlessly; I sponsor other guys. I'm doing work that I love. I help people make money, and that combines with a sense of service both in my personal life and in my work. It's an amazing way to live!

I was terrified before I went for treatment, like this was my last hope, my last shot on planet earth. It's important to realize this is not a magic bullet or a quick fix. It is a profoundly powerful medicine that has the capacity to completely transform your life. Be true to yourself before you go, know what you're going for, and be willing to do the work.

-Zack

• • •

I'm a therapist, a caretaker. The toughest thing I ever had to do was let go. Our daughter's heroin addiction had taken us to the edge of the abyss. There were jails, hospitals, rehabs. We sent her for four months to one of those high-end places, in Malibu. We spent almost a quarter of a million dollars on that one. Vanja came home 40 pounds heavier, with multiple pathological 'diagnoses' and addicted to 13 prescription medications. She relapsed on her first day out of rehab. It was so painful. We'd put all our hopes into that, and we were sure it was her last chance. When she relapsed on day one, it was like hearing a death sentence for both of us. I knew I couldn't live like that anymore. I didn't want to live at all anymore.

I came to see the roots of my own co-dependency with my daughters addiction, how if either of us was to have a chance, I had to let go and pray that she would find her way. It was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do as a parent, but I knew I had to do it. It wasn't long before my daughter was full-on in her addiction, homeless on the streets of Toronto in January.

When my daughter contacted me about ibogaine, there was no money for treatment. Wed already spent everything many times over. Still, my own research convinced me this might be the very thing Vanja needed. So I sprung for her treatment with a credit card. I remember thinking, I'm putting my daughters life on my American Express card. Vanja was an absolute wreck. I didn't think she would ever make it to Mexico for treatment, but I took my hands off the wheel and let Vanja handle it herself.

She came home about a week later. She was totally transformed, like shed been clean for a year. I knew right away something major had happened when the first words out of her lips were, "How are you, mom?" She actually cared about someone besides herself. I never worried about her after that, like she would relapse or something. This was like a wholly different person, a different kind of clean than Id ever seen before.

Vanja's been clean for a year and a half, and continues to be loving, radiant, accountable, dependable. Relationships with the whole family are greatly improved. Vanja's been able to grieve the shattering loss of her fiance in a car accident some years back, and has found new love and nurturing work with kids. Finding that 12-step meetings just didn't work, Vanja chose not to seek out any formal aftercare management, treatment or therapy. Despite this, Vanja has no cravings. It's like someone's returned the daughter they stole from me 15 years ago.

The moment I let go, the teachers came. I had to accept their lessons and learn to trust. In this way, I empowered my daughter to find the help she needed. Enabling is disabling! Yes, I recommend ibogaine, especially if you've already tried and failed with other approaches. It is something else entirely. My daughter believed she could never get clean, never get free, but here she is! Ibogaine is by no means a magic potion. You have to be ready to dig deep and do the work. Yes, you want to have your treatment supervised by someone whose medical expertise and professional ethics you can trust. You know, you hear a lot about the so-called risks. Compared to the risks of heroin addiction, which is like 100% certainty of death if you don't get clean - the risks of ibogaine, properly managed, are like a walk in the park.

-Tara

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

The world according to Marc Scott Emery

I was responsible for dosing 65 patients with ibogaine hydrochloride to reverse drug dependency for over 18 months. All the patients I saw had severe and long-term addiction problems with cocaine, heroin, morphine, amphetamines, crack cocaine and methadone (the nastiest of all of them, I found).

Immediately after administration of ibogaine, all patients showed short-term improvement, many improved permanently and to this day, and many have coped somewhere in between, improved lives but not abstinence, and with lapses at times.

Of the 65 individuals, I would have to say it was almost universal that these individuals did not have their biological father in their lives for all or most of their childhood to adolescence. That was the striking universality of treating these individuals who are self-destructively using these substances, I found that Daddy issues are the paramount psychic wound that invites drug dependency.

Ibogaine hydrochloride is very safe, there were absolutely no health anomalies in all the time we worked at Iboga Therapy House 2002 - 2004 version. In fact, all the patients lives improved markedly, and their drug withdrawal and drug cravings were vastly curtailed upon administration of ibogaine.

Treating a substance dependent individual is futile if they are sent back to the same neighborhood and in the same social mileux, they are sure to relapse. They need a new environment with someone who can help them keep busy and away from temptation. They are at risk if they have more than $10 in their hand. A substance dependent person has many triggers that set off a flush of mania for drugs, and #1 is... having money on your person, because now you can buy drugs. #2 is... being in a neighborhood you usually score in, and #3 is... being in ANY neighborhood you can score, and #4 is... hanging around with your friends (all whom likely are into the substance you must now distance yourself from).

So in order to give someone the best chance to get beyond substance dependency, the individual will need to:

1) Live in a new neighborhood
2) Change partner or have no partner
3) Get all new friends
4) Get a new lifestyle, job or way of living

Or re-phrased, stay away from all drug-using friends and acquaintances, avoid all old scoring neighborhoods, carry only $5 for emergencies and have a trusted friend (not using) buy your daily essentials. Keep busy and have plans to keep very, very busy. Ibogaine treatment also reduces your need to sleep for more than 3 hours for 2 or 3 weeks afterward, so keeping busy is very important. Taking up physical exercise is so important in recovery, as is an greatly improved diet, these two are greatly underestimated and under-utilized by those recovering.

This is a necessary program of recovery, but it is very, very difficult, especially for people, who, after years of severe drug dependency, have burned all their bridges with family, friends, employers, etc.

-Marc Scott Emery

• • •

The likelihood of anyone abusing ibogaine is very small, it is not a party drug, no one would ever enjoy the experience in that context, let alone abuse it, its just too powerful and harrowing. Ibogaine is a very unique molecule, not at all like mushrooms or acid. I have done mushrooms in the past and for me the experience was very different than the ibogaine. mushrooms kind of took me out of myself, things would warp and change in front of me. People's faces would look bizarre and scare me. That's sort of what I figure hallucinations are all about. Ibogaine was not that way at all. I never saw anything outside of myself change or look strange or what I would call a hallucination. Everything I experienced was internal, inside my own mind. Like I said before, similar to a daydream sequence. If I ever felt overwhelmed I could just open my eyes and be back in my room, in reality. I could talk to my partner and be coherent and normal. Does this make sense at all? I do wish that the word hallucinogen was never attached to ibogaine. I guess we just don't have the language for what it does yet so that's the closest descriptive word. from now on I will use the term medicine. That's how the African bwiti people use it in a spiritual ceremony. I also believe that the number of people that could be saved by this would far far outweigh the few that might be harmed. I cant say that for prescription drugs these days, that's for sure.

-abicus4343

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

What's it gonna take?

Ibogaine and opiate addiction

"I've witnessed people's lives being turned around," said study leader Leah Martin. Of 20 pre-study clients who took ibogaine at the facility, 13 were found to be abstaining when evaluated after six months. The abstainers included six out of seven cocaine or crack addicts, three of eight opiate addicts and four of five people with other addictions, including methamphetamine.

With an overall abstinence rate of 65 percent, ibogaine does way better than the 10-percent average of conventional drug-treatment programs, Martin said. What's more, the clients at the B.C. facility are usually the hardest cases.

"People who contact us have already done every type of program in their city and are scouring the Internet. They've been in detox multiple times and are highly resistant to other therapy. They say, 'This is my last hope,'" she said.

Ibogaine works in 2 ways. It eliminates cravings for heroin and other drugs, but it also often works at a deeper level, by causing them to revisit life experiences, good and bad, helping many find ways to heal and ensure cravings don't come back. Scientists say it's like hitting a reset button for your brain. Traces of the drug remain in the body for up to 6 months, continuing to ward off addictive urges in unknown ways. "It truly is its own category of drug," Martin said.

"Ibogaine appears to work on every neurotransmitter system we know about", Kenneth Alper, Professor of Psychiatry at New York University School of Medicine, told the Journal of the American Medical Association in a 2002 story on ibogaine. Alper, who is also a co-investigator in the study, has called the use of ibogaine "one of the biggest paradigm shifts regarding treatment for addiction in the span of my career".

-Alex Roslin

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

Howard Lotsof

Ibogaine product identity

by Howard Lotsoff

The proposal of discussion of ibogaine product identity particularly for the benefit of new providers and patients is certainly legitimate as three principal forms of ibogaine of diverse purities are in use in ibogaine therapy. These substances may be, a highly purified form of ibogaine, an extract of T. iboga, that may be as low as 90% or as high as 99% in purity. Most examples of these products are 95% pure ibogaine. These products are available from commercial chemical manufacturers or by custom manufacturing by qualified chemists in university laboratories. Purified ibogaine may also be obtained by direct conversion from voacangine. This product when available had been assessed at 99.4% purity. The second principal form of ibogaine currently available is a crude total alkaloid extract and contains a reported 15% to 20% total alkaloids of which half is ibogaine. As the other iboga alkaloids contained in the total alkaloid products are active, this material should be viewed as having a potency of 15% to 20% ibogaine equivalency depending on source and batch. These total alkaloid extracts have been supplied by sources in Denmark and Canada. The third form of ibogaine material is the crude plant root bark. Depending on potency, this product may contain from 1% to 6% ibogaine. Most root bark will be in the 2% - 4% range. Any person taking ibogaine or providing ibogaine to another person should be certain of the identity of the substance as confusion of purified ibogaine and a less potent total alkaloid extract might cause a fatal reaction or not be sufficient as a dose to interrupt chemical dependence.

While the initial discovery and early research with ibogaine principally used single doses in the 15 mg/kg - 25 mg/kg range of ibogaine, the expanding base of data being presented by ibogaine providers throughout the world propose multiple dosing regimens. These dose regimens make use of purified ibogaine HCl, total extracts and root bark though principally, ibogaine HCl and total extracts except in the African religious model. Doses considered by a variety of providers to be full therapeutic doses may vary from 15 mg/kg - 25 mg/kg for ibogaine HCl and from 3 gram to 5 grams for total alkaloid extracts for the treatment of chemical dependence. For the purpose of this discussion a full therapeutic dose of ibogaine is one that will precipitate all three stages of ibogaine activity in most but, not all patients: 1) The waking dreamlike state, 2) the cognitive evaluation period and 3) residual stimulation eventually leading to sleep. Depending on circumstance and patient need, full therapeutic doses may be administered in a multidose paradigm a week to months apart.

Adjunct dose levels of ibogaine may be mediate or low. A mediate dose would be 300 mgs to 400 mgs of ibogaine HCl or possibly 1.5 to 2 grams of total extract while low doses may be in the range of 25mg to 50mg total dose range for ibogaine HCl and 100 mgs to 300 mgs of total alkaloid extracts. Mediate doses are generally used to boost a therapeutic dose should opiate withdrawal signs become evident or in the cases of some providers for a broader set of issues. Low dose regimens have been implemented for periods of ten to twenty days after recovery from a full therapeutic dose for antidepressant, antianxiety or antiwithdrawal applications. These regimens have been used in the treatment of both opiate and stimulant disorders in furtherance of the full therapeutic dose of ibogaine. It must be recognized that providing ibogaine is an art and a science and that ibogaine providers will use a multitude of doses individually determined on a patient by patient basis in accordance with the experience of the provider.

http://ibogainedossier.com/manual.html

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

Ibogaine: A personal experience with the miracle psychedelic

by Jane Van Bemmelen

Throughout my entire using career, in being addicted to and abusing several substances since the age of 15, it seems that the most evil demon of them all was my addiction to heroin and opiates. I was gripped by heroin and other heavy prescription opiates for 6 years, and it just would not let go. I mean, I dont even really prefer the high, I just could not function, hell, I could not breathe without it. It began with trying heroin (the one on my DO NOT TRY list) one night at a party, I was in love with a boy, whom loved heroin and of course I wasn't going to say no. It progressed into smoking heroin daily with this boy, selling, and eventually all of my resistance was futile, as the addiction progressed into IV use. The black nightmare had become a harsh reality for me: a young, intelligent and beautiful girl with serious potential. It went up and down, back and forth, but I couldn't shake this dark devil that used me daily. I even managed to become pregnant, give birth, and gain 13 months of clean time. In recovery, I had responsibilities, great connections, and the best intentions, yet I still went back to heroin; she's evil.

I remember always trying to avoid being sick, that was my main goal for a long time. I hated using, but had to in order to function. I sold the drugs I used, in order to maintain the habit, and lied to everyone I loved. For my addiction and substance abuse problems, I went through numerous lengths trying to get better. I tried in-patient and out-patient rehabs, AA and NA meetings, Methadone and Suboxone maintenance treatments, and I cannot count how many times I tried to get clean and conquer it on my own. All, while proving to be helpful in gaining knowledge and support, were unsuccessful in getting and keeping me off drugs. It wasn't until I desperately left the country, seeking an unconventional detox method, that I found something that worked. Inside, I was so done with living in a shadow that I would've tried anything at that point to end it. I didn't want to withdraw from heroin again, I had 6 times before that, and I just couldn't take anymore torture. In desperation, I awkwardly prayed to an unknown God for an escape from my created hell, and my prayer was more than answered.

This is an account of my experience with the psychedelic medicine from Africa, Ibogaine, and how it freed me from an addiction to heroin, with virtually no withdrawal symptoms. Not only did this miracle medicine get me off of drugs, but it came with a powerful psychedelic trip into my own unconscious world, where I experienced a life-changing message from a higher source that would never leave me.

I left Monday for my 7-day retreat to Mexico fully loaded. I remember shooting my last shot directly into my neck in the bathroom before I left; it was the only vein I had left. Upon arrival, I had a bunch of medical tests done and spoke with a doctor. When the doctor was explaining the risks, I interrupted to say that I would rather die trying to get clean, than continue to live and use. I was serious. I wanted to be clean so desperately, that I was willing to die during the process. We spent two days getting used to the environment, learning about the medicine, and writing down questions and intentions for our experience with Ibogaine.

Wednesday evening, I took the medicine in four doses. I remember it taking an unusually long time to take effect. I was afraid that it might not work, given that Ive taken so many drugs. About an hour and a half into it, I started to feel it. The first thing I experienced was a loud buzzing noise that sounded like an old-school cooler or refrigerator. As the buzzing got louder, sounds from the soft meditation music in the background started to warp and blend. I closed my eyes and pulled the nighttime mask that was provided to me over my head. The buzzing continued to get louder and started to change frequencies. I felt an all over body high, similar to the feeling that nitrous oxide has when held in the lungs for a while. I was a little freaked out, but told myself to relax. I felt a feeling of warmth spreading over me, beginning in my abdomen and moving upwards. I realized that I wasn't able to move my body at this point. The fire-like feeling moved to my brain, and the buzzing sound had turned into a mixture of electricity, creaking, crunching, and scraping. It was an amplified nails-on-a-chalkboard sort of sound. I remember thinking to myself that it was the sound of my unconscious brain fusing together with my conscious brain, and then thinking it was cool that I could be experiencing this and still have my own introspective perspective on it all. The Ibogaine wasn't taking away my own personality, just beginning to add a little experience to it, unlike any psychedelic I had tried before. The sound I was hearing had shifted from a high frequency electrical voltage sound to a low, alternating sound, like tribal drums being played at a ceremony. I had not yet begun to experience its full effect, but I got a strong sense of the medicines African origin when I heard this. I felt fear gripping me, as I realized how powerful and intense this medicine was going to be, and that there was no turning back. I let go of the fear, surrendered, and was greeted with my first vision.

Like raindrops on a window, this first vision dripped down onto the screen which was my consciousness. I saw a vague figure of a man standing in a frame, full color. Behind him, trailing on and on and on, were several men in frames just the same way, except black and white. It was like when youre standing between two mirrors and your reflection trails on forever, except it was someone else, an unfamiliar man. Then, I saw the all-color man in front take a step and walk through the doorway. I thought of Harry Potter, I dont know why, then I instinctively opened my eyes, and the vision disappeared. I looked around and saw that reality was very distorted, like a mushroom trip. I also noticed that all of my senses were way heightened, like 10x. The whispers that I was hearing from the doctors and nurses across the room, were right in my ear. The smell of lavender oil from a cloth I had placed on my chest, was now penetrating every single cell in my body. I was dizzy beyond belief and could only wiggle my fingers and toes, because I knew, intuitively, that if I would've moved any more of my body I would've purged. It was so very intense. Once I closed my eyes again, things got a little crazy.

Vision after vision appeared rapidly, full color and 3D, and it was so much that I could barely process what I was seeing. Before I could grasp what was happening in one vision, another would pop up and be even crazier than the last. Images were all connected to each other and flowing in and out, through strange transitions. Sometimes images would swirl into each other, sometimes they would drip. There were many vortex/wormhole like visions, like falling through tunnels. I felt as if I was floating through another dimension many times. Colors were bright and often opposites, like in Andy Warhol pop-art. I started to notice one, strange particular transition repeating over and over. It was a red background, with an image of a yellow, girls cowboy boot that would swing down and kick another vision into my consciousness. I remember thinking how weird it was that a boot kept appearing. I waited for the boot to reappear, and when it did I mentally grabbed it and hung on.

I guess the Ibogaine was fully in effect at this point, because suddenly I was held in one vision. Everything froze, as I stared at what appeared to be me suspended in between two worlds. It was crisp and clear. I felt like I was hovering. To the left of my vision was Earth. Brown and green mountains, landscape, blue water. I was looking down on it. To the right of my vision was space: vast, still, and endless. I could see stars, planets, and galaxies upon an infinite black canvas. I got a sense of the immense size of everything and nothing, of cosmic consciousness. I felt amazingly intelligent, as if I had all of the knowledge of the world and beyond downloaded into me. Right in front of me, down the middle of these two worlds, was a rainbow bridge that I could've walked on if I had tried. As I was looking, I knew it was all being shown to me by a higher form of consciousness, but although it was a source higher than me, it also felt as if it was me. The higher me was using this body to show it all to myself, and I suddenly understood the sheer truth behind everything. I wondered how I could possibly take what I was seeing, and everything I was understanding, and explain it in human language. The response I got was this:

You are the key.

I was the key. Okaaay.

More visions began to speed by again, and I did a quick scan of my body. I had been laying in the same position for nearly three hours, it was time to move. As I had predicted, the second my body moved I purged. That experience of vomiting, in itself, was a crazy trip, while my eyes were closed I was having visions that were in sync with it. I felt as if I was being shot out of my own mouth down a neon, Ninja-Turtle tunnel, all while tasting the incredibly nasty taste of the Iboga root mixed with stomach acid. It was such a trip! Once I was done, I had to sense my way back into a laying position, because the lights were so bright that I could barely open my eyes.

Once I settled, visions continued on randomly, most of them I cant remember. There was one in which I saw what I believe to be a past life. It was the lower half of a woman, wearing what looked like a dress from the 1920s, or earlier. Another vision, that I cant forget, was of what I know the future will be for human beings on Earth. I was floating through buildings, looking down on Earth, and I come to a grass clearing. I had a birds-eye view of several thousand human beings, all together. It looked sort of like I was looking down on a rave or music festival, except there was no DJ and no one was dancing. Instead of vibrations coming from speakers, the vibrations were coming from these humans. They were all huddled in circles, circling more circles, circling more. They were all holding one another and coming together in peace, love, and harmony. I could feel the powerful energy rising off of these human beings, as each soul recognized the soul of the other as its own. It was a giant, spiraling human hug, with every person radiating the pure intentions of love and oneness. As I looked down at the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, it felt like every single cell in me was crying tears of joy and awe. I felt tears going down my face. I remember asking the higher source, Why cant it be like this now? Again, I was told that I am the key. Over and over, I got the message that I AM it all. I am what was talking, I am what was listening; I am the question, I am the answer. I am the problem, I am the solution. I am everything, and there is no difference; there is no time, its all ONE. I AM BOTH THE EXPERIENCE AND THE EXPERIENCER.

Gradually, the visions began to fade out and reality started to come back. It had been 9 hours since I took my first dose of Ibogaine, and the sunlight of the next day had begun to shine through cracks in the window curtains of the clinic. I was so psychologically and physically worked, that I felt as if I had just run a full marathon with no training. I was not all there and my senses were still extremely heightened. I couldn't move. With no energy whatsoever, I was forced to just lay there and think about everything I had just witnessed. I wanted badly to fall asleep, but I could not. Hours passed, and eventually I passed out for a full day.

When I woke up it was 10 am on Friday morning. I remember intense hunger being my first feeling. The second feeling was the best ever. I looked around and everything was fresh, I felt as a kid does, and like I had just taken 10,000 psychological showers- I was clean, not under the influence of any opiates. Colors were brighter, sounds were more clear, the taste of fresh fruit and coconut water, as I scarfed it down in a hurry, was one of the best experiences of my life. Thank God almighty, I was free from heroin at last!

I spent the next few days recovering at the house in Rosarito. I had minor restless legs and trouble adjusting my skin to the temperature around me, but other than that: no withdrawals! I had to have a blanket around me for a few days, but managed to gain enough energy by Saturday to ride horses on the beach, eat a full meal, and I even pooped - something I had gone over a week without doing. My acne had magically cleared up, and my skin was glowing. I had no desire to smoke a cigarette, eat sugar, drink coffee, or use heroin, or any drugs. I put on a sun dress, and headed for San Diego on Sunday morning, sad to leave the luxury, but ready to continue my life clean. I was given Iboga-booster capsules, which had a different (more mild) form of the plant in them, to help with cravings. They produced a mild and slightly psychedelic feeling, but helped. All the other troubles that come with getting off of heroin came, like difficulty with digesting and sleeping for a few weeks. It has been about 9 months since I experienced Ibogaine, and I am still clean.

What I expected/hoped the Ibogaine would show me was that my addiction was manifesting because of an issue that needed to be dealt with. But, what Ibogaine showed me, was that there was no problem. When I was laying there after the visions, forced into introspection, I came to this conclusion:

As a drug addict, I have been searching for a different state of consciousness in drugs, but that does not make me a bad or damaged human being. I haven't been messing life up this whole time, Ive been searching for something else. The experience of Ibogaine showed me that what I have been searching for, I already am. What a relief! Now the whole thing just looks stupid and pointless! I figured that if it was all one thing, then there isnt a need to resist, there are no mistakes. I can learn to achieve these higher states without using, whenever I want. The one and only thing I have been after my entire life is freedom. That is all I want.

I decided to seek spirit and let go of the battle, it was clear to me that my addiction now had served its purpose. I knew I had to adopt a completely new lifestyle, and I went on to do just that. The Ibogaine worked; it freed me from active addiction in a day, and it gave me a powerful message to take home with me. I am still clean today because I took that message seriously. I have changed friends, locations, phone numbers, diet, daily practice, and routine, even my name, all in order to better suit a healthy, drug-free lifestyle.

Ibogaine can work for anyone, but in order for the treatment to be successful, two things need to be in place.

1. The person has to truly want to be clean, 100%. They have to be the ones to choose to do this medicine.

2. The person must be willing to change the way they live, after the Ibogaine treatment is over. They must be willing to adopt a new lifestyle, with new people, places, and things.

This was my unique, personal experience with Ibogaine and unlike any other. Peoples experiences with Ibogaine vary greatly, and it isn't always an enjoyable one. But looking back on it all, I can say that this medicine is nothing short of a miracle, no matter how it is experienced. It was created by nature, and its power to help cure human beings is remarkable. Not only does it help with addiction, but also has been proven to help with depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and spiritual growth.

In the US, Ibogaine is classified as a Schedule I, meaning, they say there is no medicinal value and potential for abuse is high. Ibogaine does not need to be used more than once and is so intense that it could not be a party fad. I could not be addicted to this, and trust me: I know addiction! So why would our country make such an gigantic mistake? Well, it obvious: it isnt a mistake. Ibogaine threatens the pharmaceutical companies profits and reputation. It cannot be patented and it works, therefore it will cost them money. No. People are dying! It's time for the truth to come out; no more profiting off of the addictions of our own species! No more creating problems and hiding solutions, all for money? It's just paper! This is wrong! There is a cure!

I wanted to share my experience to help spread the word of this powerful little root from Africa. Of all the addicts I talk to about this medicine, only about 2 in 10 are familiar with it; this needs to change. It is my responsibility to do everything I can in honor of the psychedelic savior, Ibogaine, to spread awareness. I have the gift of surrender, introspection, self-awareness, and writing, literally I know now I am the key.

Now, It is YOUR responsibility, now that you have read this, to bring light to the darkness by showing a way. If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction and seeking a new method of recovery, Ibogaine works! Please help me spread the word, and share my post with others.

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

Ibogaine resets opioid receptors that flare during addiction

By Harriet Tatham

Dr Stephen Bright, from the School of Psychology and Speech Pathology at Curtin University said research into ibogaine is needed to investigate the drug's potential.

"The interesting thing about ibogaine is that it tends to reset the opioid receptors sites so that the person, that may be heroin dependant or dependant on another opiate,
doesn't really go through a withdrawal period and their tolerance to the drug is reduced as if they had never used before,"
Dr Bright said.

He said the potential benefit of ibogaine stems from its ability to inspire a period of self-reflection.

"An integral component of it is not just the fact that it resets the opiate receptor sites, but the way in which it forces the person to reflect on how their drug use has impacted
their family and their community,"
he said.

"While there have been reports of deaths as a result of taking ibogaine," Dr Bright said. "These interactions occurred in a non-clinical setting. The problem is that is has an impact on
the cardiovascular system,"
he said. "Despite this, the benefits outweigh the potential risk."

"If screening is conducted and we determine that the person doesn't have any pre-existing cardiovascular disorders, then it's unlikely to have a risk that would outweigh the benefit of potentially trialing it. Research in an Australian context would be quite easy, but the current barrier is the inability for drug companies to patent the plant,"
said Dr Bright.

"Because it comes from a plant, pharmaceutical companies don't have a vested interest in pursuing the effectiveness of this drug because they're unable to make profits from the use
of this drug,"
he said. "The only research that's likely to happen is that which is Government-funded."

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member
"A new life awaits you, in the Off-world Colonies—the chance to begin againin a golden land of opportunity and adventure..."

My experience with ibogaine

In January of 2010 I flew to the African continent, to help myself finally kick a 3 + year long '24mg a day' subutex (buprenorphine) addiction. I'm sorry to inform you that unfortunately ibogaine DOES NOT reduce the withdrawal symptoms of buprenorphine addiction the way it does very well if you are coming off natural opiate narcotics such as heroin, morphine, oxycodone, etc. So it was a very LONG HARD 5 weeks of discomfort and no sleep at all. During that period I was given several doses of ibogaine hcl starting with 1 large FULL size dose. Then a couple days later I received another semi-large dose (of which I found the most interesting of all), followed later by at least a dozen low doses.

I was given an initial low "test" dose which is always the standard practice with ibogaine to make sure the person doesn't have some kind of allergic reaction to it. I was the first American to be treated at this clinic.

What was it like? The first MAIN "high" dose SHATTERED me. I had memories that were so CLEAR, and yet they were coming to me at a very HIGH SPEED. Many of them were like NON-LINEAR, meaning the entire memory of a past experience in my life came to me in a one single FLASH image. EVERYTHING that happened, including every THOUGHT and every FEELING I had at the time, came ALL AT ONCE. And THAT'S NOT ALL. The most mysterious and disturbing effect was the the fact that SOMEHOW I was not just remembering my own version of the experience, like my feelings at the time... but I was simultaneously experiencing the feelings of whoever else I was with at the time, such as the way I had effected them or made them feel. IT SUCKED.

It horrified me to realize what a 'smug,' casually-insensitive, SELF ABSORBED, addicted fool I'd been for so long. ALL without ever realizing it until ibogaine shoved it in my face!

I never meant to hurt anyone in the past, but then I was too oblivious to see, too caught up in myself to notice....within my own selfish, 'spiritually deadened' narcotic haze.

During ibogaine, I was forced to face up to certain facts of reality, all of which I had never ever before known or realized, and it was not easy to accept, and impossible for me to reject. I saw just how selfish I had been and how lost in just a foolish delusional EGO BLOATED self image! My only sense of self was a delusional self image, all of which ibogaine SHATTERED--- like throwing a glass mirror down on cement! Yet that was ME! I was in that mirror, and now I didn't know what else to make of myself instead! I hated it. And it took me several months to find my true light & rebuild who I was, yet I'd say God did most of the work. It was hard but it was what I needed for sure.

I also came recognize so clearly the truth of addiction, and how narcotics only stop you from growing, by essentially deadening your spiritual receptivity to life and other people, making you become oblivious to the real feelings of others, and unable to connect in real ways that can lead to REAL JOY and rewards that come from LOVE. Narcotics are BULLSHIT, and rob one's soul of so much more than I can even explain, and ibogaine made me see this too clearly to be able to ever think differently. Nobody can argue with what ibogaine reveals. It's an ASS KICKER of a trip, but it's the very best way to CATCH UP to where you need to be in life after having addiction ROB YOU of so much spiritual growth. Any REAL growth requires some real pain, like growing pains, and ibogaine seemed to squash years of growth into one trip, so its heavy. It took me several months to finally rebuild who I really am, and I like who I am now A LOT MORE than the blind fool I was before ibogaine opened my eyes.

These days I can't help but "cringe" just looking back at what I wrote before I went to South Africa. I can't even read my own posts! Ibogaine woke my shit up so thoroughly, and you just can't understand what its like unless you've taken ibogaine in sufficient amounts.

I remember talking to a guy named Eric Taub in a Seattle coffee shop just prior to leaving on my trip to S. Africa. We even talked a little about mushrooms, and I remember him saying mushrooms are "a primordial teacher." But then in the conversation when we got into talking about "ibogaine." And I'll never forget it, just after I said to him in a foolish 'know-it-all' tone, saying --- "Well, with all my vast experience with heroic doses of so many entheogenic, psychedelics drugs etc, I feel I'm prepared and perhaps I know what to expect with ibogaine!" --- I WILL NEVER FORGET the way Eric looked right at me with the the most sober look in his eyes & said "No, you don't".

There was something in his words and especially the look he gave me...I couldn't say anything back, I just "nodded" and went on silently eating my big "apple fritter" donut. He was right.

-Sherwin Maxawow

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

I spent about a week on Ibogaine kicking fentanyl, and I 100% needed the Ibogaine providers and their experience. They took care of me day and night. A nurse stayed with me during flood dose... I mean these guys had to help me walk to the washroom. You can't function for a good 24 to 36 hours. When kicking opiates you take it repeatedly over nine days. Not to mention the providers are working, trained medical pros, like docs and nurses. NOT SAFE FOR AT HOME DETOX. You could easily choke on vomit. But god damn does ibogaine work wonders. Thank god its legal in my home country of Canada.

-tryptamine report

• • •

After spending thousands of dollars on OxyContin, I started snorting heroin. Although I always said I would never do heroin, less than two years later, I was shooting that. I was in and out of drug treatment programs. I went to one rehab after another. That was my lowest point.

I was holding down a steady job and still using heroin when I called my mom to tell her about a documentary I saw about ibogaine, a drug that is successful in eliminating opioid cravings in addicts. For about $8,000, I could enter a program and get the ibogaine treatment.

My mom and dad didn’t like the idea of me taking an experimental drug. They had been down too many roads with me, suffered too many disappointments, spent too much money and nothing had worked. But their resistance gave way to hope, so we scheduled the treatment.

The day I took ibogaine I knew I wouldn't need to take opiates any more. For the first time in six years, my withdrawal symptoms were gone. Ibogaine gave me the tools to get my life back on track, and help others who get free of the prison of chemical dependence.

-Colin

• • •

Finally I wanted to say that to me, ibogaine seems like an option for when you've given up on anything else working. This was the case for me with opiates. I had tried all sorts of things for 10 years and I just couldn't shake it. I actually accepted that I would never be off opiates before I decided to do ibogaine... I wanted to die constantly, and I felt my life was over or would never be good again. I truly believed this. You said you've been having problems with marijuana and tobacco... my advice would be to try whatever else you can, first. I'd work on quitting one, then the other once you're clear of the first. I think using ibogaine whenever you're experiencing willpower problems probably isn't going to do a lot for you. For me, my one flood dose both erased my physical dependence to opiates and unlocked an inner strength in the aftermath, it woke me up from the long nightmare and insanity of a destructive addiction back into my real self, and I then worked to maintain that strength by improving my lifestyle. That's the reason I'm still opiate-free today. It's easy for me to be, no part of me wants them, but it's because I replaced them in my life with things I am passionate about, as well as good nutrition and exercise.

-Xorkoth

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member
Nanette Castillo grieves next to the body of her dead son, Aldrin.

Ibogaine accumulates in the body over time, which may extend its already considerable propensity to potentiate the effects of various drugs.

The risk for dangerous side effects while using ibogaine increases if you have an existing heart disease, or are taking certain anti-arrhythmic, antidepressant, or antipsychotic drugs.

There are some reports of scammers who sell fake or poorly sourced ibogaine, or who run fake ibogaine retreats. Whether you’re buying ibogaine or attending a retreat, do some research into your source before trying the substance. Many say their experience was simply ineffective or overpriced, but it's possible that a seller can give you some other dangerous substance instead of ibogaine. Be very careful to make sure your source is reputable.

-Eden Loi

• • •

Ibogaine and noribogaine have very strong affinities for many receptor sites, and because of this, they can have strong interactions with many drugs. It would be ill advised to use iboga in any dose while using other drugs (over the counter and prescription medications included) unless you know with certainty they will not have an interaction with iboga alkaloids.

-Infinitys Minute

• • •

Ibogaine has dangerous interactions with other drugs, especially opiates, that have killed people undergoing therapy. Ibogaine clinics now screen out a lot of potential candidates. There appears to be some mechanism where it can cause heart arrhythmia and death. The pharmacology of ibogaine and the noribogaine metabolite is extremely dirty and complex.

-vector

• • •

Ibogaine shouldn't be taken with SSRI or MAIO medications that are usually prescribed to treat addiction. If you're taking any medications for depression, Ibogaine can be dangerous. If you are thinking about taking Ibogaine to help with depression, and you are already taking a prescription medicine, it’s important to talk to your treatment provider for more information.

-CTC

• • •

Iboga accumulates in the body. It remains in the body for more than 4 weeks. This means that all the drops you take within 5 weeks will accumulate and remain in the body until they slowly wear off. So, if your dose exceeds ten drops a day, physical and psychological effects, and perhaps even disorientation and ‘trippy’ effects can occur. Be aware of that some people respond highly sensitively to a few drops only. It is important to pay close attention to your body at all times and adjust your dosage accordingly. Do not take the iboga tincture before going to sleep. The plant gives you energy and might cause insomnia.

During the period you treat yourself with iboga, it is advised not to use any drugs and to keep stimulants such as coffee to a minimum, as well as smoking tobacco or certain herbs. Your receptors will become very sensitive and you may have an unexpectedly strong reaction to them. Also, it is strongly discouraged to combine the healing of iboga with ayahuasca or other visionary or hallucinogenic substances. Lastly, iboga should never be combined with anti-depressant medication such as SSRI's, such a combination would be very dangerous.

-DMT Nexus

• • •

Ibogaine can affect heart rhythms, prolonging the QT interval, but non compatible heart conditions can be easily screened for via ECG to ascertain whether using iboga will be an issue or not. I think this potential risk has only ever been noted at flood dose levels as oppose to microdosing, but over time the alkaloids do build up in the system, which is worth bearing in mind. So I doubt intermittent microdosing will be a problem, but I can't say this with certainty. Except for this heart issue it does sound like iboga microdosing could be an ally.

-Bancopuma

• • •

Ibogaine has also been given in small daily doses of 25 mg to 300 mgs/day where the dose is increased until the desired interruption of drug dependence is accomplished. These low dose modalities can be traced back to the work of Leo Zeff, who provided ibogaine on an "as needed" basis to a cocaine dependent patient to substitute for his cocaine use.

http://ibogainedossier.com/manual.html

• • •

There are 3 main options for ibogaine treatment (these are all after a small test dose)

– single administration of 1 high (flood) dose of ibogaine (with booster doses over the next few days/weeks if needed)
– single day/night administration of multiple large doses spaced out by a few hours (with booster doses over the next few days/weeks as needed)
– small daily doses of 25-300 mg/day, where the dose is gradually increased each day until it is felt to have been effective for eliminating WDs/cravings

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

"Where are you going?"

How ibogaine fights stubborn prescription painkiller addictions

When he was 13 years old, Jeremy Suttons mother passed away, and he began drinking alcohol to help cope with the trauma. Liquor became cocaine and cocaine became prescription drugs including oxycontin, hydrocodone and methadone. By the time he turned 18, Sutton was fully addicted to prescription painkillers. His days were designed around getting a fix.

"Opiates were the ones that really stuck with me," he says, "because they gave me a sort of superpower to deal with the void of being alive."

While Sutton and a friend who also abused prescription opiates continually made plans to get clean, these plans never stuck. The friend mentioned an alternative addiction therapy he had heard of called ibogaine, but they had no access to the underground treatment. When he was 25, Sutton checked into rehab. It was here that he met a fellow patient who told him about her experience with ibogaine.

"Obviously this person was in rehab, meaning that they had relapsed," Sutton says, "but their testimonial was incredible."

The Tabernanthe iboga shrub from West Central Africa

Ibogaine is a naturally occurring substance that causes users to experience an intense psychedelic experience that lasts for 24-36 hours, sometimes longer. This treatment clears the brain of addictive cravings while offering deep psycho-spiritual insights. "They made it clear that theres still a lot of work afterwards," Sutton says, "but the experience can be profound and can give you the chance to make changes for yourself."

Derived from the root bark of Tabernanthe iboga shrub, ibogaine is an alkaloid, a group of naturally occurring chemical compounds, that has been used as a ceremonial sacrament by the Bwiti tribe of Western Central Africa for thousands of years. It has also been used as a treatment for addiction since 1962, when the late medical researcher and former heroin addict Howard Lotsof, often referred to as the father of ibogaine, discovered its usefulness as what he called an addiction interrupter.

Ibogaine has proven particularly effective in treating opiate addiction, with the majority patients requiring only one session. It not only useful in removing the symptoms of drug withdrawal and reducing drug-cravings, but it has also been shown to help users understand and reverse their drug-using behaviors.

Suttons fellow rehab patient gave him the phone number of Beverly Weaver, an ibogaine facilitator at a treatment center in Baja, Mexico. Weaver has guided roughly 200 people through treatments during the past six years. Mexico is home to many such centers, as ibogaine is illegal in the United States, as well as various European countries, Brazil and Australia.

While its U.S. classification as a Schedule I drug categorizes ibogaine as a highly addictive substance with no medical properties, there is no scientific evidence that it is habit forming. The Internet offers thousands of anecdotal accounts regarding people successfully overcoming drug addictions via ibogaine. Controlled studies of its medicinal properties have taken place in New Zealand and Canada. The YouTube documentary Ibogaine: Rite of Passage chronicles its use. Author Daniel Pinchbeck has also written about traveling to Africa for ceremonial work with Iboga in his 2002 book Breaking Open the Head: A Psychedelic Journey into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism.

In 2012, the then 26-year-old Sutton flew from his native Houston to San Diego, where a representative from the treatment center picked him up and drove him across the border to Mexico. It was his first time leaving the country, and he was to stay for six days at a total cost of $3,000.

Before arriving in Mexico, Sutton had gotten an EKG and a liver panel to determine the health of his heart and liver. Such tests are critical, as ibogaine can cause death in patients with compromised cardiac and/or liver function. Its also vital that patients are displaying visible signs of withdrawal such as pulse increase and sweating.

After settling in at the center, Sutton took a walk on the beach and began his treatment at 4pm. He was first given a small dose to test his tolerance. Within an hour, this dose had alleviated his withdrawals.

"That's a really lovely experience," Weaver says, "because in about 45 minutes the withdrawal symptoms go away and the person relaxes. It instills confidence in the person that what's going to happen is actually going to work."

Weaver emphasizes that it is essential to have a group of facilitators for each patient, as treatments are long and demanding, often multi-day ordeals. "Not just for sleep relief," she says, "but energetically, if everyone is together rooting for this person, it has a big impact." Surrounded by facilitators, Sutton ingested gradually higher doses of ibogaine, administered via capsules, until a predetermined dose based on his weight was reached.

"The first thing I experienced was anxiety and a feeling of electricity going through my whole body. It felt like my heart was beating out of my chest, but they took my blood pressure and everything was in order."

Sutton then descended into the journey. After taking his third and final capsule, he began losing his motor skills. "I couldn't lift up my head and was very light sensitive. I noticed a buzzing sound, and it felt like someone had plugged me into an electrical socket. My vision became static, like a static television, when my eyes were shut. I became very nauseous and even more scared. I was starting to lose sensation in my body. At this point, however, this period of electricity and frantic thinking slowed to a visionary state."

The vision aspect seemed like I was traveling through the corridors of my own brain. The whole time there was a voice saying, "It's okay; we don't care what you did. We love you. We've always loved you. It was very frightening because of the circumstances, but there was always something in the back of my head telling me it was okay, and to relax."

Sutton continues: "The vision tapered down into this experience where I could ask myself any question and get an immediate answer that was crystal clear. Seven hours after I took the ibogaine, I entered the reflective state and felt like I was getting all of the questions I had answered very clearly." He laid in contemplative silence for another 12 hours.

21 hours after the ordeal began, Sutton emerged from the journey and found "there was nothing in my head that was bothering me anymore. I cried a lot too. I remember very specifically that the reason I started crying was because I was not being nice to myself. I realized that I needed to start loving myself, and how much I had not been loving myself up until that point."

Sutton then drifted to sleep. "I felt like I was floating above my body watching myself lay in bed. I woke up the next day feeling sort of beat up and tired, but in the best place I ever had been in up until that point."

While there is limited scientific research about how ibogaine works, evidence suggests that the substance resets neurotransmitters that have been programmed for addiction via consistent drug use.

"The simple way I like to explain it," Weaver says, "is that when you do opiates, they touch receptors in your brain. You do them enough to grow an addiction and you form more of those receptors. When there's no opiates on those receptors, you've got a lot of hungry little mouths yelling I want opiates! Iboga goes in and heals all of those hungry little mouths and takes them back to their original state so they're not hungry anymore."

Weaver emphasizes that ibogaine does not just treat the addiction, but addresses underlying reasons for the addiction such as abuse and trauma. While profound personal insights are gained, it is vital for users to set themselves up for success after the treatment. "Ibogaine will take care of 49 percent of what you have going on," Weaver says, "and you're responsible for the other 51 percent." Twelve step programs, creative endeavors and overall lifestyle changes are all encouraged.

"It's not going to make you not an addict anymore," Sutton says. "It's going to scramble your brain and reset your head in a way that gives you insight into who you are."

Sutton had struggled with depression and anxiety his entire life, and found that his ibogaine session had alleviated these issues along with his cravings for opiates. After another few days in Mexico, Sutton returned home and began the work of incorporating the lessons ibogaine had taught him. He moved into a new house, cut out unhealthy relationships and focused on his passion for making music.

Four months later, though, his anxiety and depression returned. He found, however, that ibogaine had provided him with new tools to deal with these challenges. I was able to look back on my experience and saw that my brain operated differently when I was done. I was able to think things through clearer.

The success rates for ibogaine treatment is still largely unknown, as most of the work is done underground. Weaver says that 70 percent of her patients kick their addictions, and that the overall success rate is 40-50 percent. Comparatively, the success rates for opiate addiction treatment at standard rehab facilities remain low.

Despite its usefulness, Ibogaine is still rare. Weaver believes that on any given night, there are, outside of Africa, 3-5 people in the world doing ibogaine. Still, the small areas of forests in Africa which ibogaine producing trees grow are being harvested at an unsustainable rate. Ibogaine can also be extracted from an African tree called Voacanga, which grows abundantly and is easier to plant.

Sutton's craving for opiates returned five months after his treatment, and which point he did a second session on his own at home, under the supervision of a family member. Such self-treatment is highly dangerous and not recommended.

Sutton has been clean for two years and is now in Mexico training to be an ibogaine facilitator. "The problem that was eating my life up is pretty much gone, he says. Ibogaine was a teacher that told me what needed to be done and to do with the knowledge it gave me what I would."

http://reset.me/story/addiction-inte...ate-addiction/

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

My experience with ibogaine

I had quite a bit of anxiety leading up to this experience. Frankly I was very scared, but I was also determined to go through with it. After taking the enema I went to my bedroom and sat on the bed to await the onset. As soon as I had gotten to my bedroom I began to notice some strange flashing in the corners of my eyes, but at first I dismissed this. It had been maybe 5 minutes since I had taken the dose, so I did not even consider it possible that it was the ibogaine. But in another 5 minutes or so it was obvious to me that something strange was happening to my vision, and although I still thought there was no way the ibogaine could be taking effect so quickly, I started to have doubts that it wasn't.

Another 5 minutes removed all doubt. I was definitely starting to fee it come on. And I panicked. My senses were completely unreliable. I had by this time started to feel as if I was dissolving. It felt as if my insides had turned into acid and I was slowly coming apart molecule by molecule. I also had the sensation of sinking, of moving downward, backwards, as if I was lying on my back. So I prayed. I prayed without reservation, I just said to whatever there might be that could hear my prayer, that I needed help, that I was terrified. And I immediately felt relief. I felt an overwhelming feeling of love just completely envelope me. It was like a wind to which I was completely transparent that blew straight through me and filled every square inch.

I encountered that force, or being, or whatever it is, that day. When that overwhelming love filled my being I sensed it. I simply knew it was there. Although I had visualizations of various aspects of what was happening, I did not really see anything. The visualization I had was of myself as a small child, perhaps two or three, at the feet of this being. I could more or less make out the outlines of the feet and ankles. And I could feel the love beaming down on me from where the face should be, somewhere above my head and it almost felt like sunshine shining down on me, except that, as I said, it totally penetrated me and shown straight through as if I were completely transparent.

And I wanted to look up at that face, but I could not. I knew, and I knew that this being knew, that I was wretched beyond belief. I looked at myself with total crystal clear honesty for the first time ever, and I was horrendous to behold. I had lied and stolen from everyone who had ever shown me kindness and love. I'd betrayed people to their very core. I had used and abused every human being that had crossed my path for years, decades even. I was pathetic. And I began to cry, not just cry. I wept as I had never wept before. I wailed, even. I thought maybe I should just die, maybe everyone would be better off if the ibogaine just killed me.

Then, I felt as if God offered me death. I saw this place of filth and stink and rotten decay, and it was incredibly lonely and isolated, and barren of hope, and very, very, sorrowful. and although I did not hear words, I experienced it as if I was told "If you want death here it is, you can have it, just dont take another breath." And the conclusion was obvious to me at that point, I had to change. I had to change the way I was showing up in the world, the way I treated and interacted with my fellow humans. I had to re-evaluate my priorities. If I was to live, then my life had to be much, much different then it had been.

Some people claim not to understand this, but I had always had morals, I just could not live up to them. I hated what I did to get drugs. I hated the lying and the stealing, especially from my Mother. I felt like shit for it, but the drugs could cover that up. There is a sick cycle wherein you need to use drugs to cover the guilt you feel for doing the things you have to do in order to get drugs. I had lived in that cycle for a long time. But it was about to be broken.

I asked a few questions of that being that day and received a few answers. I am probably just as unclear about the meaning of life and existence as I have ever been, but I feel like one piece of understanding is in place. I don't know what God wants from me or expects of me, or if it even does want or expect at all. I simply have no idea. But I do feel I know a couple of important things. I believe that I know that that thing is real. Did it make this universe, or did it come along with it? Who knows? But I also believe that I know that that thing loves me, in fact all of us, immensely. Even when I was coming to very clear terms with the fact, the cold hard fact, that I was despicable, the love that I felt, never wavered at all.

Once I had started crying, I literally could not stop for 3 days. And I cried most of the 4th day as well. I may have slept 2 hours total in the first 3 days. After that I slept 2 or 3 hours a night for a week or so, with it gradually increasing. After a week I started exercising by bike riding which I found very tiring at first. I had some slight chills that would come over me every 4 or 5 hours or so, which lasted almost 6 months. But that was pretty much it. I had no other symptoms of withdrawal, and perhaps most importantly, no depression, in fact I felt very good. I felt connected to that love for close to a year following this experience. Although it did eventually fade, at least my experience of feeling connected to it faded, I have found new ways of connecting to God now. The 4th day after taking ibogaine I decided that it really had worked, and poured the rest of my methadone take-homes down the drain. I was a free man!

-Matt S.

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member
Ibogaine treatment for methadone dependency

Although methadone has helped millions of people discontinue heroin use, it can also produce addiction, which is difficult for many users to overcome. Many of these patients previously had problems with heroin addiction but are now perfectly integrated into their environments, with no significant problems other than their physiological dependence to methadone. Apart from the long-term negative physiological effects of continued use of methadone, one recent study also found that people stabilized with high doses of methadone have more medical, cognitive, and emotional problems and a reduction in quality of life compared to people who have managed to complete treatment.

Since the 1960s the properties of ibogaine have been known to reduce and/or eliminate opioid abstinence syndrome in both research animals as well as humans. The popularization of ibogaine as a possible anti-addictive drug has resulted in many people on methadone wanting to cease their methadone dependency by using ibogaine. However, ibogaine is a substance that brings with it a high risk of cardiac toxicity, which, combined with the cardiac toxicity that methadone causes, means that its use for treating methadone dependence should only be done in very controlled settings and under strict medical supervision.

A clinical case study undertaken by ICEERS published in the Journal of Psychedelic Studies documents how a person was successfully detoxified from methadone using low but increasing doses of ibogaine. The ICEERS support service, in collaboration with Pangea Biomedics, supervised the detoxification of a 47-year-old woman who decided to use ibogaine to eliminate her dependency to methadone, which she had been taking for 17 years. Under constant medical and psychological supervision (including EKG monitoring), the woman alternated low, increasing doses of ibogaine with a progressive reduction of her methadone consumption over a period of 6 weeks.

After taking her dose of methadone, she waited for the onset of withdrawal symptoms. When they appeared, she took 300mg of ibogaine. When the abstinence symptoms appeared again, she took half of her maintenance dose of methadone. This process was repeated, with the patient alternating increasing doses of 100mg of ibogaine with a reduction to half of the previous dose of methadone such that after a final dose of 600 mg of ibogaine her withdrawal symptoms disappeared completely. One year after the treatment the patient remained abstinent from using methadone or other prescription opioids. She continued to occasionally use heroin (via nasal insufflation), however much less frequently than when she was on methadone.

Of critical relevance is the fact that ibogaine and opioids are contraindicated for a variety of factors, including opioid potentiation and qt prolongation, creating a risk of fatality when ingested in close temporal proximity. For this reason it is essential that clinicians intending to use this approach be well trained in this methodology and treatments are performed in a vigilant manner, in closely monitored medically supervised settings.

https://www.psycheplants.org/index.p...s-de-opiaceos/

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

How safe is ibogaine? We ask Clare Wilkins, who has facilitated over 700 treatments

Clare Wilkins is a former intravenous drug user & methadone patient who shed her chemical dependencies with the aid of ibogaine. As founder of XYZ Biomedics*, she has facilitated over 700 treatments and collaborated with MAPS on the Mexico study. Since 2010, Clare has been an active board member of the Global Ibogaine Therapy Alliance (GITA) and is a co-author of the Clinical Guidelines for Ibogaine-Assisted Detoxification. Clare is currently collaborating with ICEERS, developing a clinical trial for methadone for ibogaine-assisted detox.

Weve mentioned that ibogaine can be dangerous, and we even saw what can happen when proper safety precautions arent taken. Here, we take some time to speak with Clare and go more in depth about the risks associated with ibogaine.

While we hope that this interview offers some insight about the safety protocols one should consider before taking ibogaine, we want to stress that in no way should this be considered a thorough safety guide. Simply reading this interview is not adequate preparation, and we strongly encourage anyone thinking about working with ibogaine in any capacity to take the time to do further research.

Would you like to start us off by introducing yourself? What is your story?

I was an injecting heroin user before switching to methadone. I come from a very traumatic childhood with a lot of violence. I discovered heroin at an Ivy League university, and it seemed to answer every question I ever had.

I spent the next 15 years trying to resolve that answer.

Methadone maintenance treatment worked for a while. It was my lily pad for 9 years. It saved my life. It made me not a criminal, not sick. I had a job, and I was able to get my life together.

Anyway, my sister and I had both been using heroin and she had already detoxed, yet she learned about iboga through Rick Strassman's work with DMT. It was back when there were just a few clinics in the world. I went to a clinic in Tijuana, which, at that time, was the Ibogaine Association. There, I was freed from the lock of methadone.

After my experience, I saw what may have been lacking in the treatment protocol. I didn't really have anybody to process with during the experience. I went home, and I was in withdrawal for a month. I couldn't even do my job. So, I called up the clinic and told them that Id like to talk to patients who perhaps needed to understand the process from a peer perspective. I was in LA and they were in Tijuana, so I'd take the train down and I'd just sit with people because no one who had taken ibogaine had ever sat with me.

That was the beginning. I volunteered until I was brave enough to purchase the Ibogaine Association name and create XYZ, with a full team in a new location. It was a calling, and it seems to be a calling that happens with a lot of people in the drug users' movement.

Since then, youve become prominent in the ibogaine community as a provider and consultant. In your professional opinion, is ibogaine actually safe?

Thats like asking if electricity is safe, in my opinion. You can cook a warm meal, light up a room, or electrocute someone with electricity, as they say.

Its similar with ibogaine. Ibogaine, in and of itself, is not unsafe. There are both risks and benefits.

Ken Alper, Jeffrey Kamlet, Deborah Mash, Bruno Rasmussen, Roman Paskulin, and Jamie McAlpin are doctors and experts regarding ibogaine safety. There are many published journal articles and presentations of theirs online. To be clear, Im a lay therapist that's worked with an integrative team of MDs, naturopathic doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, and somatic and peer therapists for 12 years.

So, what are some of the specific risks? You mentioned the heart, but could you go into detail about the screenings people should get before they consider taking ibogaine?

Ibogaine increases electricity in the heart, which is one of the reasons reputable clinics do cardiac screenings, to assess how the heart conducts electricity. Ibogaine has some features that require vigilance, and most experts conclude that thorough pre-screening and medical monitoring during the experience is crucial to its safety as a treatment for detoxification.

Ibogaine also induces bradycardia (it lowers heart rate, normally by about 10 beats per minute during a typical dose of 12 to 20mg/kg). The risk of bradycardia is that the heart rate can go very low. If the heart rate stays too low for too long of a period, this can require immediate administration of atropine. This is a serious life-threatening situation that requires medical intervention.

QT prolongation is another major risk with ibogaine. The QT interval is a measure of the heart?s electrical cycle, or the time it takes for the ventricle to get ready from one contraction to the next. During this period, the heart is vulnerable to cardiac arrhythmias and other serious complications. Other legal medications prolong the QT interval, such as methadone. Benzodiazepine and alcohol withdrawal both result in QT prolongation as well, so combining ibogaine with an alcohol or benzodiazepine detox can be extremely dangerous.

Many people who seek out ibogaine for detoxification are poly-drug users. For best outcomes, complete blood and urine panels need to be drawn and analyzed as close to treatment as possible to assess for infection, electrolyte levels, and of course, a toxicology screen. What drugs/medications has this person been taking that they may not have told you about?

Hepatic function and the specific liver enzymes are essential. Many ibogaine patients have liver issues, are diagnosed with hepatitis C, etc. However, this doesn?t preclude them from treatment, in many providers experience. Still, the liver enzyme count is crucial to consider. I believe Howard Lotsof's last patent application was for the use of ibogaine to treat hepatitis C. He had data demonstrating a dramatic decline in viral load counts in those with a diagnosis of Hepatitis C who had taken ibogaine.

Electrolyte count is crucial as well because ibogaine is a potassium hERG channel blocker. Potassium plays an important role in cardiac function, and blocking this channel can lead to prolonged QT intervals, arrhythmias, and insufficient electrolytes for the heart to function as it needs to.

Noribogaine, the metabolite of ibogaine, is an important topic as well. It seems to stay in the system longer than ibogaine, providing the window of opportunity we hear about. Noribogaine has similar qualities to ibogaine in terms of decreased self-administration of opiates. According to Ken Alper and others, it is important to consider the concentration of noribogaine over time, which resembles a curve. Multiple doses of ibogaine in one evening increase the area under the curve, indicating a higher concentration of noribogaine in the system for longer periods of time, which could or could not be predictive of more danger.

In your time as a provider, did you ever have any adverse events?

Weve had 3 fatalities, on separate occasions, as well as numerous events that required intervention. Thanks to mentors, experts, and teachers, we've learned from them. We haven't had an adverse event since because we do completely different protocols now that have been worked on diligently for the past 8 years.

We dont just pull the rug right out from under the client upon starting treatment. No need to arrive in withdrawal. Before treatment, we develop specific protocols to treat conditions underlying their dependencies. We continue with this process during treatment.

Our work with ibogaine is done in a specifically timed manner. For example, with opioid dependencies, we give morphine and then ibogaine, then less morphine, and then ibogaine. As the ibogaine accumulates, there's less and less craving for opioids, and more time to include the adjunct therapies we use. With stimulants, we don't use the method of co-administration, yet we do use repeated cumulative dosing. It takes an extreme amount of vigilance, but its much more successful than anything we ever did before while following the traditional model.

Why did these adverse events occur?

Well first, we were following the traditional model. In the conventional paradigm, you come to treatment in withdrawal and you get ibogaine that night, before trust is developed with the team, soon after an EKG, and usually after a long flight.

We had a staff of 12, including 4 doctors. We essentially had a hospital in a villa; it wasn't for a lack of equipment or personnel. These were extremely unfortunate and difficult aspects of the learning curve. The fatalities were the result of pulmonary embolism, the presence of residual cocaine in the blood, and hypertrophy. All preventable issues, as we now know.

So, do you think your current model helps prevent adverse events?

Not think, we know.

No deaths and no hospital visits in the 8 years since we have changed our protocols. We've had someone who experienced a hypertensive attack, who already had high blood pressure, and we controlled it within an hour. And someone else was vomiting so much they needed an IV, but that would happen almost every week when we administered ibogaine the previous way.

Psychologically, its a different story. Clients can regress to their childhoods, start acting child-like, screaming, crying, or behaving violently. Staying in an alternate reality for a prolonged period of time, this comes with safety issues as well.

Whats so different about this alternative protocol?

Well, the traditional treatment model is rapid. Patients come in, they take their ibogaine, and they usually return to their same environment shortly after treatment.

We now emphasize pre-treatment at least a month before they come. Many people focus on aftercare, but nobody seems to talk much about strong preparatory care.

We?ve had numerous clients follow our preparatory protocol who end up not needing to take ibogaine. We worked with naturopaths and developed specific orthomolecular protocols for the 5 most significant physiological issues that occur with drug dependence. Those are depression, pain, anxiety, liver issues, and chronic fatigue.

What we do is called repeated cumulative low dosing, which results in a saturation, or a flood, by the end. So instead of giving a single flood dose in one night, we do it over days. What that does is it shows us how someone reacts to the medicine, how they metabolize the drug, versus just going from a blood test result. So how do they react at first? Do they cry? Do they feel nothing? Do they say it feels good? Do they see their dead grandparents? Do they feel calm or anxious at first? Then, as a team, we form a specific protocol based on their body and mind. They teach us.

Is ibogaine safe to take with any other medications?

There are many contraindications. Ibogaine potentiates not just morphine, but it seems to be a potentiator of almost everything. One cup of coffee with a microdose of ibogaine in the morning can feel like 4 cups to some people. Antidepressants and antipsychotics are another category that are restricted with ibogaine. I highly suggest people do a lot of research regarding this issue, as it could take a while to go through all the medications. The GITA Guidelines have information as well.

Working with a physician who supports the use of ibogaine and tapering from other medications, or continued use of them, is strongly encouraged.

It seems like theres a lot of controversy and misinformation surrounding ibogaine and benzos. Whats the deal? Is it safe to detox from benzos using ibogaine?

Ibogaine doesn't work as well for benzos as it does for opioids and stimulants.

Remember, ibogaine electrifies the body. Yes, with the correct dose it can place a person into a para-sympathetic state, where he or she is no longer in fear. Yet it is extremely dangerous to use ibogaine to decrease the dosage of a benzo, especially rapidly. We refer people to the Ashton manual. Heather Ashton is the worlds expert on benzo tapering.

Of course, one can combine various therapies to detox from benzodiazepines, but weve seen that a slow taper, over time, is the safest with long-acting benzodiazepines. Withdrawal from benzos includes QT prolongation, anxiety, fear, insomnia, seizures, and even death. When a person who is dependent on benzos takes ibogaine, they need to be stabilized on a long-acting benzo to keep the QT interval in a safe range. A short acting benzodiazepine can leave the system during a flood quickly, increasing the risk of seizures and arrhythmias. It can also stay in the system and be potentiated by the ibogaine.

This all depends on an individuals body and their metabolism, as well as dosage of the benzos. We dont know unless we go slowly. There is debate around this issue, so it would be wonderful if the clinics who work well with benzodiazepine patients can come together and share their knowledge with other providers and patients.

Many people hide their benzo use, even if its only occasional, to be accepted to clinics, and this is dangerous. If you look at Ken Alper's fatality paper, you will see benzodiazepines are connected to many of the deaths associated with ibogaine, specifically you will see that they weren't used while in treatment, yet were found in the toxicology report afterward. I call benzos the snipers of ibogaine fatalities.

This subject is controversial because you have a doctor saying one thing and a clinic saying another thing, and so on.

How about other psychedelics? That seems to be a growing trend, taking ibogaine with other visionary substances. How safe is this?

Ibogaine is safe to take with certain psychedelics. And completely unsafe with others.

Dangers seem to occur around the administration of 5-MeO-DMT, kambo, MDMA, and ayahuasca in close proximity with ibogaine. There have been grievances, including a fatality, associated with the use of these medicines alongside ibogaine.

Ayahuasca and kambo are both purgatives, so the issues of dehydration and over-stimulation can be factors in relation to safety with ibogaine treatment. There's been a surge of the use of these medicines with one another in the past few years. A few practitioners seem to combine the higher risk substances well, with no adverse effects reported. There is a lot that still needs to be researched.

There is also debate around using ketamine, which is a dissociative, while taking ibogaine or shortly after. Many clinics have witnessed clients moving from heroin/opioids to ketamine after taking ibogaine, and from stimulants to 5-MeO-DMT and/or DMT as a form of psychedelic substitute. Aside from the physiological complications that may arise from these combinations, there is the psychological component.

Experiences with certain substances can take months, or more, to fully integrate. Often, ibogaine is not enough to get the mission accomplished on its own, to treat years of a chronic condition. It is essential to use adjunct therapies to create an integrative experience for the client. This, of course, takes time.

A lot of people are talking about microdosing ibogaine. Are the risks the same as with a larger threshold dose? Should someone still get screened before starting a microdosing regimen?

The risks can be the same, yes. They are far less significant, of course, because the dose is so much smaller than traditional flood doses.

Yet, there are people who just simply cannot and should not take ibogaine, period.

Even small doses can exacerbate a heart condition, anxiety, or insomnia. Ibogaine is cumulative, so as it builds up (if youre microdosing regularly), it eventually saturates the body and it feels like you've taken a larger amount that day than you actually have. I know of people who used it daily, with a day of rest per week, and others who had a panic attack with a first dose of only a few milligrams. Although not a microdose, a fatality occurred recently with a dose of only 200mg ibogaine HCl, which is considered less than a booster dose.

Its important to rest, to integrate, to sleep, to dream, and to allow the cascade effect of ibogaine to work its wonders. A guide or facilitator is highly recommended. Others prefer finding their own inner guide, their inner doctor, so to speak. Ibogaine leads us back to the root of our inner voice, which we lose sometimes in this cacophony of modern life.

It seems like there's a lot of misinformation out there surrounding ibogaine, specifically regarding safety protocol. What do you think are some of the most common misconceptions people have about ibogaine in general?

That they will be liberated from addiction for life. That they will understand the root causes of their dependencies and be able to easily move forward from those realizations. That they're able to integrate their experience back into their regular life, like its easy peasy from there on.

A myth is that everything is fine and perfect after its over. With ibogaine, yeah in a night, over the course of a few hours, you'll be devoid of most withdrawal symptoms and cravings. But after that is when the real work begins.

Those are some of the main ones. Most people dont know how to integrate what happened to them while taking ibogaine into their life. Its tough. That's why if you look on our website, we have a page called The Family. The family is an organism, and if we notice a family member doesn't want to talk and be included in therapy, we start to understand that the user may be the scapegoat. Dependency is a family issue that's complex to traverse.

So all in all, would you say ibogaine is worth taking even despite the safety risks?

Ibogaine is for the person who feels called to it, who resonates with it, just as you do with a food, a country, a friend, a plant, a potential lover, an ally.

One can feel more of the world around them after taking ibogaine, see more clearly, and experience a new awareness of themselves that grows or suddenly appears.

We need more people who feel right now. Who see more deeply. It's urgent. The risk is worth it.

It certainly has been for me.

*Not the clinic's real name.

https://www.psymposia.com/magazine/h...00-treatments/

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

Ibogaine addiction therapy

By Keegan Hamilton

Clare Wilkins got hooked on heroin at the age of 20 while majoring in Latin American studies and psychology at Cornell University. Drug use led to depression, and she dropped out her senior year. She’d been trying to get clean using methadone for eight and a half years when her younger sister learned about ibogaine via the Internet. Wilkins, then 30 years old and employed as bookkeeper, read up on the subject, started saving up and, in 2005, shelled out $3,200 for a session at the XYZ Clinic* in Tijuana.

The trip—in both senses of the word—changed her life.

“I received a direct message that I was washed in love,” Wilkins says of her first encounter with the hallucinogen. “That the universe in its entirety is full of love, and that courses through us and was there for me. There was this soul body, this light body that had no beginning and no end. My fingers had no end; there were atoms coming in and going out."

“It got me off of methadone completely,”
she continues. “My sense of shame about my addiction was washed away without having to practice with a therapist and talk, talk, talk.”

The experience was so profound that she elected to stay on at the clinic as a volunteer. Confident and chatty, with long brown curls and a disarming smile, Wilkins feels she has a knack for guiding patients through their ibogaine-induced spiritual awakenings.

“On ibogaine, all your walls come down,” she says. “You can’t lie. You get an opportunity to look at yourself honestly and see how you respond. My role is to be there as a comfort. People compliment me by saying, ‘You knew exactly when to hold my hand.’”

In 2006, XYZ Clinic director Martin Polanco offered Wilkins a full-time job. She’d heard rumors he was considering selling the clinic in the coming year, and on a whim, she offered to buy the operation from him outright.

“It was one of those ‘Can I put that back in my mouth?’ moments,” Wilkins recounts with a laugh. “I didn’t have the money; I didn’t even have a car.”

Wilkins borrowed $3,000 from her mother for a down payment, changed the clinic’s name to XYZ Biomedics*, and made monthly payments to Polanco for the next year and a half.

Stays at the clinic aren’t cheap. For the standard 10-day detox, Wilkins charges $7,500, travel not included. She employs a staff of 10, including two Mexican physicians, a paramedic, a masseuse/acupuncturist and a chef. The chef, Wilkins’ sister Sarah, is a recovering addict who credits ibogaine for kicking her drug dependence.

Aaron Aurand, a live-in volunteer, feels the same way. “I did eight months of court-ordered inpatient treatment before I came here,” says the native of Spokane, Washington. “I got more therapy here in five days than I did in that entire time. Lots of junkies don’t want to look inside themselves. With this, you’ll get shown.”

In addition to ibogaine, Wilkins emphasizes nutrition. The clinic’s pantry is mostly organic and gluten-free and boasts a cache of vitamins and supplements that patients gobble by the handful.

“The body has its own framework and can heal itself if you remove harmful substances and balance the systems. We do colon cleanses and liver cleanses even before they get the ibogaine,” she explains, pointing out that there are practical reasons for the former: “You get people who come in here—especially opiate addicts—who are clogged up.”

To date, Wilkins says, she has treated more than 300 patients. “Sixty-two percent of our clients are chronic-pain patients,” she says. “You’re not talking IV [heroin] addicts or crack addicts. You’re talking grandmas on Oxycontin.”

Some people come for “psycho-spiritual” purposes. Ken Wells, an environmental consultant from Santa Rosa, says he underwent conventional counseling for depression for 15 years before trying ibogaine as a last-ditch effort to save his crumbling marriage.

Three days after taking ibogaine for the first time, Wells compares the experience to “defragging a computer hard drive.” He experimented with psychedelics decades ago in college, but, he says, ibogaine is like nothing else.

Ibogaine’s effectiveness has already helped it gain acceptance abroad. Lawmakers in New Zealand, where methamphetamine use has skyrocketed in recent years, have tweaked the nation’s laws to allow physicians to prescribe ibogaine. Dr. Gavin Cape, an addiction specialist at New Zealand’s Dunedin School of Medicine says the nation’s doctors are so far reluctant to wield their new anti-meth weapon. “There is strong advocacy in New Zealand for ibogaine, and it may turn out to have a place alongside conventional therapies for the addictions, but I’m afraid we are a few years away from that goal.”

*Name intentionally withheld.

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

Microdosing ibogaine

I happen to have some excellent knowledge on this subject as I just finished a microdosing regime during a period of EXTREME insane abuse. My opinion is that the AA iboga types that proffer an image of the plant as a "one time thing" and after that throw people to the whims of traditional treatment and therapy are dead wrong. Basically I've taken low dose ibogaine with everything imaginable, K, MDX, L, oxycodone, cocaine, whiskey, sometimes in combination and never with negative effects, while in the 10 - 20mg range. In fact, as I made my last album on the most incredible bender, I made sure to take 10mg minimum a day. I found myself functioning optimally on the days I dosed. Sometimes if I ate up to 40mg, I began to feel a bit like I'd eaten a 1/2 a hit, but I'm pretty used to that, so it didn't faze me at all. I would have felt absolutely comfortable driving and worked with no complications. At the end of this month period, I simply stopped all drug use with little to no side effects. This leads me to think there is strong reason to believe that this sort of dosage protocol could greatly assist chronic pain sufferers. So, in my personal experience, low dose ibogaine is perfectly safe with nearly everything, and in no way appears to stress my body more than the chemical itself would.

It does have dangerous interactions with opiods - when used irresponsibly. Now, the literature states that the rootbark is somewhere between 3/4% ibogaine, which means every gram SHOULD have between 30-40 mg. The material I had was VERY active (I've had experience w/hcl before), so I'd eat about a quarter to half gram, thus between 10-20 mg. I did nitrous, MDMA was fine (no serotonin interactions noted), dmster was great, mushrooms fine, salvia don't know but my intuition says fine, and kratom (I had no use for because of all the REAL opiates). All I can say for certain is, at no time did I feel in danger, outside of the other shit I was doing. The ibogaine seemed to only enforce with calming love the feeling that I WOULD make it through the ordeal.

At LOW doses (10-20mg) the opiate reset effect is fairly minimal. It seemed not so much to reset tolerance as to halt its development, which allowed me to use the chemicals I needed to in a stretch without incurring a massive habit, something that may be INCREDIBLY useful to people in chronic pain management situations. I fully think that anyone taking it at all should probably have the arrhythmia screening. All I want to do is honestly relay that I feel this compound has saved my life a second time, and that continued low dose usage seems to have compounding positive effects on both my mental state and immune system. It kind of seems to even mitigate administration of itself along with other chemicals, and as time goes on, my drive to take it certainly diminishes. I'm not saying I want to take this stuff forever. I'm saying if I NEED it, I never want to be without it. :) I've already been screened for arrhythmia, and I'm familiar with ibogaine in general. If that wasn't the case, I'd be much more concerned for my well being...

-cdin

-----

I took Ibogaine 3 weeks ago and it was the most important thing I have ever done. Ibogaine will do 50% of the work, you have to do the other 50%—sober houses, meetings etc. Seriously if you are an opiate addict you need to take this, just be sure you haven’t had suboxone or methadone for 3 months at least. If a center that tells you this is a sign the place is truly interested in healing you not just getting money. It’s all true though, almost NO withdrawal, NO cravings and it’s like undergoing 10 years of therapy in 36 hours! I realized things I didn’t even know I was upset about or hiding from myself. But you need to be willing to move away when you get home, or to do whatever else you need to do in order to avoid the triggers.

-Lee

-----

Ibogaine works! The holy wood! The president of Gabon declared it as a National Treasure! I was taking percocets for many years. Prescribed. My mom just passed on 11/15 from a lot of suffering from my earthly father and two sister’s heavily addicted to heroin. She was taking a concoction of pills and in time her heart gave in. I did not want to see myself go down that same tunnel as my mother, so I had several successful attempts at staying clean for month’s. But I did not want to go back on that merry go round. Too old and too tired. Ordered ibogaine in 1/16, having being clean a month already. Took just bits at a time, and it has worked wonders for me. People say I look younger and have a nice glow. I just take it twice a month now, and I feel fantastic! This is definitely a miracle wonder medicinal plant.

-Wanda Rodriguez

-----

Ibogaine worked for me… and it worked better than any detox or rehab program in the USA… I tried everything from Rapid Opiate Detox, 30 day programs, 6 month programs, methadone, suboxone, klonopin, klonodine.. Everything!!!! I'm a 17 year heroin and opiate user. Did ibogaine 4 months ago and am still clean. Iboga gave me my free will back and took away my cravings.. But the most important thing I believe is needed for ibogaine to work is that you really want a new life and want to make a change.. You have to be willing to do whatever it takes. Eat right, change your environment. Its only a tool… It won't cure you, you need to put in the work.. Just saying.

-keithlinx

-----

Ibogaine worked for me. I was a opiate user for 15 years and suffered from depression for much longer. Actually, it was the depression that started me onto opiates. That helped but after many years of use I got addicted to them. While in my experimental stage I noticed hallucinogen usage would keep my depression away. 1 dose equaled 6 months of no depression. So I was keen to try this wonderful plant. Fortunately I was able to find a sympathetic doctor thru a methadone maintenance program in New Zealand. Away from the center the Doctor administered the plant extract. I have been clean for a few years now. I no longer require methadone, either. Free at last!

-stu benson

-----

I took ibogaine and it ended my 26 year cocaine addiction. The fact that I lived that long is a miracle; no depression, no more antidepressants, just ALL GONE.

-Richard Monette

-----

I used ibogaine with a doctor and ever since I have not touched heroin. It changed my life because I was feeling and seeing all the pain and hurt my addiction has caused, through the eyes of the people I hurt, but 100 times worse. Being able to have empathy is what changed my whole life and allowed me to live my life without DOPE, and I haven't used since.?

-Bfauckly Ferrel

Last edited:

mr peabody

Staff member

"I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments... will
be lost in time, like… tears in rain. Time to die."

Ibogaine significantly reduces opioid withdrawal and cravings

New scientific research provides more evidence that the psychedelic drug ibogaine can help treat opioid withdrawal and cravings. The new findings are reported in the Journal of Psychoactive Drugs.

Ibogaine a psychoactive substance found in the root bark of the African Tabernanthe iboga plant, which has been used in the shamanic rituals of the Bwiti religion in West Africa. The drug is outlawed in the United States and many other countries, but remains legally available in Mexico. The new research examined 50 patients addicted to heroin or prescription opioids who participated in a week-long ibogaine treatment program in Tijuana.

“As a lover of biology, spiritual experience, indigenous cultures, and consciousness I developed a curiosity and passion for psychedelic substances, as they perfectly intersect these interests. This led me to pursue formal education and training in psychiatric pharmacy as well as public health, which further inspired me to be involved in researching the utility of psychedelic substances in the treatment of illness,” explained study author Benjamin J. Malcolm of Western University of Health Sciences’ College of Pharmacy.

“Recent (and older) research suggests that many psychedelic substances have potential clinical benefits in a variety of psychiatric illnesses, although ibogaine is seemingly unique in its ability to interrupt opioid addiction,” he told PsyPost. “Given the epidemic of death and harm associated with opioids in the United States presently and limitations of current therapies in treating opioid use disorders it seems very timely to study ibogaine further.”

Malcolm and his colleagues found ibogaine treatment was associated with significant reductions in opioid cravings and withdrawal symptoms. Most of the patients (78 percent) did not exhibit clinical signs of opioid withdrawal 48 hours after receiving ibogaine.

“It seems that ibogaine can interrupt the underlying neurocircuitry of opioid use disorder while delivering a profound psychological experience that reinforces recovery efforts,” Malcolm explained to PsyPost. “In our study ibogaine appeared to be able to reduce both the physical signs and symptoms of opioid withdrawal as well as reduce cravings for opioids.”

“This means that ibogaine may simultaneously address both physical and psychological aspects of opioid use disorder, whereas other therapeutic agents for opioid use disorders address either physical aspects through continued opioid dependence (methadone, buprenorphine) or psychological aspects of addiction like craving (naltrexone), but do not address both and cannot be used together.”

“Furthermore, the psychedelic nature of ibogaine tends to induce a dream-like state in which many report autobiographical subjective experiences, like watching their life as a movie from the vantage point of an observer,”
Malcolm continued. “They see the moments of hurt or traumas from the past that predisposed them for substance use and undergo an emotional processing that allows for resolution of the underlying pain.”

In the early 1960s, anecdotal reports surfaced that ibogaine could help defeat drug addiction, prompting some scientists to investigate the anti-addictive properties of the drug. But ibogaine became a Schedule I substance in the United States in 1970, severely limiting the research into the psychedelic drug’s potential.

“Ibogaine and other psychedelic substances that are deemed illegal by the U.S. federal government have demonstrated therapeutic potential, albeit mostly in preliminary studies and anecdotally. This means that many psychedelics are likely subjected to erroneous classification as it is part of the definition of an illegal substance that it has no medical utility.”

“The other piece of the government’s definition of an illegal substance is a high potential for abuse, which is also very questionable with psychedelics, particularly ibogaine that tends to produce less euphoria than others like LSD. This regulatory framework results in oppression of legitimate scientific inquiry, and ultimately hurts the public given epidemic harms of opioids as well as enormous therapeutic need for better treatments.”

However, the new research — like all studies — has limitations.

“There are some caveats to this study as well as many unanswered questions in ibogaine research,” Malcolm explained. “The largest caveat of this type of study is the research design. This study did not have a control group and participants were not randomized to treatment or placebo, which introduces potential biases that can skew results.”

“It was a chart review of participants that received ibogaine at one center and different centers may have different administration or dosing protocols or practices that could enhance or diminish the therapeutic or adverse effects so it’s unclear how generalizable or optimal the studied setting is in the treatment of opioid use disorder.”

“This study also only followed participants through the acute withdrawal phase so lacks information on relapse rates after opioid detoxification with ibogaine. However, there are some other small studies that have partially addressed longer term outcomes and overall appear promising.”

Ibogaine can also have potentially fatal side effects.

“There are cardiac safety concerns with ibogaine and there are some reports of death in the literature, even in clinical settings,” Malcolm said. “Factors that increase risk for adverse cardiac effects require further study (we have some clues) and a cautious approach to participant selection in research is advisable.”

“Some would argue that a drug with a risk of death is too risky to continue clinical research with, although the current mainstay of opioid use disorder treatment is methadone which has FDA black box warnings for addiction, abuse, and misuse as well as fatal respiratory depression (death due to not breathing).”

“Furthermore, opioid use disorder is a deadly illness with 115 deaths per day reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for 2016 in the US. So it appears that due to the risk of death from both the illness and current treatments that in this example further research is favorable despite known cardiac safety concerns.”

“Overall, the current body of research would probably be sufficient in other areas of medicine to garner enthusiasm and funding for research, yet due to the stigmas associated with psychedelic substances as well as drug addiction (opioid use disorder), the approach has been to attempt prohibition of research,”
Malcolm remarked.

“Studies with more stringent methods are costly, yet due to the illegal regulatory status of ibogaine, are unlikely to be paid for by government or pharmaceutical sponsors without further action such as re-scheduling to a controlled substance instead of an illegal one.”

Malcolm also cautioned that ibogaine should not be over-hyped as the solution to opioid addiction.

“While results are very promising, ibogaine is surely not a magic bullet for the treatment of opioid use disorder and is in experimental stages of drug development as a therapeutic entity. If ibogaine proves to be safe and effective in controlled trials then one possible treatment model could feature ibogaine as the experiential core of a larger treatment intervention that incorporates preparatory counseling/psychotherapy before and after ibogaine as well as residential or inpatient aftercare programming-care to give individuals the best chances at successful recovery.”

“This type of model would combine elements of successful psychedelic protocols from MDMA or psilocybin research with traditional rehabilitation programs used in substance use disorders.”

“I also think for this type of model to work that a fundamental shift away from the stigmatized conceptions society holds for substance use disorders as well as psychedelics are necessary to earnestly facilitate rehabilitation,”
Malcolm added.

“As far as substance use disorders, we should also be investigating and aggressively intervening on societal drivers of substance use (isolation, loneliness, lack of spirituality or connectedness, boredom, lack of alternatives to drug use, physical or emotional pain), which would probably offer the greatest rewards for society in the prevention of drug use."

“Lastly, maybe a disclaimer: due to known risks of ibogaine and illicit status in the US, please do not try a home detoxification. Consult medical professionals if you have a problem with opioids. Nothing in this interview is meant to encourage illegal activity.”

http://www.psypost.org/2018/04/treatment-utilizing-psychedelic-drug-ibogaine-significantly-reduces-opioid-withdrawal-and-cravings-51041

Last edited: