• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opioids as antidepressants?

In no denial psychedelics are a tool that can be beneficial and utilized by many, but, certainly an extremely sharp double edged sword.

With comes the chance of great benefit, also, coexist with possibility of quite detrimental outcomes.

Also, I always see that recommendation on drug forums, then I go onto see many people who've had extensively positive experiences with them falling into state of despair, rather it be addiction, depression, both, whatever. Even with the use of them during these periods, doesn't seem to be enough to warrant a stride for the better.

Not that a small group like that really indicates to any generality, but, to be quite frank, the life changing positives some rave about, usually seems to fizzle, if not from the get go, overstated/exaggerated.

Last edited:
If you really were, though, that feeling of normalcy would be welcomed with open arms. It sounds like you're bored/frustrated with life, not depressed. There's a difference.

Feeling no motivation to get out of bed, feeling a loss of interest in things you once loved, not finding happiness where you used to, feeling helpless, etc.. That's not depression IMO, that's real life and growing up is only learning how to deal with this stuff, and yes, merely feeling "normal" doesn't sound like it will help. Whereas if you had your head on the floor pressed against a puddle of your own tears, you can't stop crying at the drop of a hat, you're legitimately SCARED of life, you consider suicide all day, every day, you wake up every night with screaming nightmares if you can sleep at all, you can't eat, you wither away into completely deteriorating health, you have friends and loved ones highly concerned about you, etc..

THAT'S BEING DEPRESSED. In this case, you'd sever limbs just to feel "normal" because your "mood" is something you can't even comprehend anymore.

I'm sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear, but anyone looking to use opiates as an "anti-depressant" is just looking for an excuse to be high, legitimately, all the time.

LSDMDMA&12885354 said:
Opiates as antidepressants is a terrible idea.
amphetamine/methamphetamine as an antidepressant is a far better idea, and even that is a horrendous idea.
Antidepressants arent supposed to do anything more than keep you from being noticably depressed, not give you a noticable mood lift.

I agree with these guys. If your looking for a mood lift anti depressants are going to be disappointing. Adderal might be a good place to start.

I know this doesnt have directly with opiates and depression. I had acne BAD in h.s. nothing would get rid of it. Only to notice after i started taking opiates regularly it got rid of my acne. I believe its bc of the same reason people lose sex drive on long term opiates bc hormones are suppressed which in turn = less acne/oily face. So 1-2 yrs after i first tried opoids/opiates i had a 95% clear face which in turn made me less depressed but yea opiates made me feel like always thought i should feel. They let me come out of my shell and get rid of my anxiety obviosuly now the negs. Arent worth the pos. If there are any lol

Ive always thought there would be alot of $ in like 1mg codein or .25mg hydrocodone pills for acne. They actually work and at the time i would have taken the addiction risk for a normal teenagers life...

I never had acne until I quit opiates. Not sure why but why only thing I can think of is I would sweat allot when I would use, and now I can't sweat. But its gross my face gets ridiculously oily now, gotta wash my face 5 times a day. I don't get acne to the point where I would need medicine, but before using my skin was great.

I notice the couple times i got sober i got acne also back not nearly as bad tho. Imo its bc hormones come flooding back now were clean and its almost like being a teen again.

I actually become more prone to acne with opiates. Whenever I stop my face clears up and I've gotten narley pimples. A couple that even became terrible infections. Don't know if the connection is to use, withdrawal, or just laying in bed more because I'm able to. There is a connection somewhere though.

I actually become more prone to acne with opiates. Whenever I stop my face clears up and I've gotten narley pimples. A couple that even became terrible infections. Don't know if the connection is to use, withdrawal, or just laying in bed more because I'm able to. There is a connection somewhere though.

You are touching your face much more when on opiates. At least that was the case with me. Try to consciously avoid touching your face or at the very least wash your hands frequently. Opiates cause histamine release which leads to itching and irritation of the face, nose, eyes, etc. Most people think 'nahhhh I don't do that' but I've watched friends do it and they aren't even aware that they are doing it. Wash your hands.

Ok thanks for the warning. Then this is clearly not an option.

But antidepressants also suck. They are a joke. I can't even take this shit serious anymore.

One of my psychiatrists already dumped me, this asshole. I mean if antidepressants don't work then what do you do?
It's unbelievable that these damn doctors simply dump you when nothing works. This shows that they don't care about you personally at all.

You've been reading from my bible haven't you. Amen brother.

Fuck doctors, fuck the government for thinking they need to baby sit us.

"pwease mister doctor? pwease can i have my medication? it'll save my lifeeeee. oh it's unethical you say? Sounds like a load of bullshit to me."

If it was up to me I'd say here's your drugs, you're an adult, do what ever the fuck you want, so long as you're not hurting anyone doing it.

You are touching your face much more when on opiates. At least that was the case with me. Try to consciously avoid touching your face or at the very least wash your hands frequently. Opiates cause histamine release which leads to itching and irritation of the face, nose, eyes, etc. Most people think 'nahhhh I don't do that' but I've watched friends do it and they aren't even aware that they are doing it. Wash your hands.
I do feel that's part of it, but not all of it. I touch my face sober a lot yet my face never gets as bad as when I'm on opiates.

If you need a mood lift try psychedelics in a good supportive setting.

You say this as if ALL people who try psychedelics will have a positive reaction. Personally I love them but it seems very irresponsible to recommend psychedelics to anyone who is depressed. Setting really doesn't matter, someone with a mental illness should be VERY cautious about using psychadelic drugs. Just because you and I like them doesn't mean they are right for everybody.

I agree that mu-agonists make poor long-term antidepressants. There is a drug under trials for depression called ALKS-5461. It is a combination of buprenorphine and samidorphan (a mu-antagonist). They claim that the net effect of the drug is partial agonism of the kappa opioid receptor (which they claim produces antidepressant effects) from the bupe and negligible effects on the mu-receptor, due to the antagonism of samidorphan. Some trials have apparently shown VERY positive effects from the use of this combination drug. I am not saying I recommend or even believe this drug would work, I am just reporting what I've read.

Edit: It looks like it is the antagonism of the kappa receptor that produces the antidepressant effects, not the partial agonism. I guess bupe is somehow a weak agonist at k-receptors and also a k-receptor antagonist.

Last edited:
endorphin deficiency is a real thing,so of coarse it would work,endorphins play a great role in your mood along with others

I don't think of myself as depressed; I think it's more the case that straight life just doesn't sparkle for me. My use over the years has been by far mostly pleasurable, though I dropped some habits because dealing with squirrely people started making me nervous. I am left to wonder if good experiences aren't a curse in and of themselves, since the world can be so incredibly grey-scale without them.

Stick with a doctor prescribed anti depressants. Hydrocodone is very addicting. I know because I have been on them for many years. I am now 72 days clean. It was a history I am not proud of.

So the issue is people will automatically start abusing them? What if you don't and simply stick to a working dose?

you'll simply develop tolerance to that dose.

In my experience, kratom is where its at. You see, for me the problem with opiates is that they make me depressed. I feel better when I am high but worse all the rest of the time. Kratom on the other hand, dont do that. I feel pretty goon ok

That sounds a bit counter-intuitive. I'm sure a stimulant would be a lot more effective at alleviating the symptoms of depression. That said; self-medicating for depression sounds incredibly dangerous.

Opioids are great for stress and anxiety though. I believe they are especially useful if you're already taking benzos to deal with this. You could alternate your usage (benzos one day and opioids next time) - this will reduce the risk of you becoming dependent on one particular drug. I really don't understand why opioids aren't being prescribed for their anxiolytic properties as part of a treatment regimen.