• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiod Half Life Question (Need Advice ASAP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgauge

Greenlighter
Hello, long time member, however it is my first post. I searched and found related topics, but I could not find this direct answer anywhere so I apologize if this has been discussed before but I am also in a rush because the situation is occurring today.

I am prescribed 30mg roxicodone by my pain management doctor for break through pain relief. Every time I visit said dr I am given a UA which is the type where they measure the exact levels in your system which is never a problem because I do not take anything besides what I am prescribed and I always have the normal levels in my system.

Here lies the problem, I was hanging out last night with a few friends who drink which I do not so to have a good time I took 4 of them, the last one being around 5am (this is a rare occasion so please no lectures). This morning my dr's office called and asked if I could move my appointment up from next Monday to today (Thursday at 4:15pm). I had made the assumption that the opiates in my system would be back to normal levels by the time I visited him in 5 days so I slipped and had a good time.

So my question is, if my UA is taken approximately 12 hours from the time I took my last dosage (not taking anything during the day today to help offset this to a certain degree) and the half life of instant release oxycodone being roughly 3.5-4 hours according to medical websites, will it show an elevated level of the oxicodone/oxymorphone higher than a level that I could explain my way out? I'm nervous, because if so this fairly strict doctor will potentially switch my medication and/or just not prescribe it to me any longer.

Long story short, even the half-life is 3.5-4 hours show a significantly elevated level than if I was to take my 4 today as normal and go in basically having taken 3 today so far?

Thank you in advance for your replies. As I said, quite nervous to the point that I cancel my apt and go through withdrawals for a few days and take a later appointment just to avoid this situation.

-TG

It's usually six times the half life with many opioids. You may want to call the office and reschedule again.

They asked you if you could move to today....tell them you can't, you're working or something.

it's against the rules to answer drug testing questions because someone may tell you that you'll be ok and then you fail the test you may try to blame bluelight for misinforming you.

in my opinion your levels will be elevated due to your recent excessive usage

Thank you for the quick response.

I just want to verify, if I should have taken 90mg with the last 30mg being literally right before I walked in there (which I am skipping altogether until I walk out of the appointment), it would still show a much higher level after having taken 120mg (spread out throughout the evening) with the last 30mg dose being nearly 12 hours prior? If it is slightly higher I can always say that I woke up at 5am in pain so I had already taken 120mg though out the day prior to the visit. I'm just worried that the levels would be significant.

I might be over thinking this because with that explanation I would technically have had 120mg within the 12 hours leading up to the appointment which would mean I would actually have a higher amount in my system than if I quit for 12 hours leading up to the apt. They're for break through so I'm not always supposed to take 4 a day but if I am having a rough one than it is seen as acceptable.

Thank you!

For all they know your outta state. U dnt even have to return their call if u dont want to. Show up at ur regular scheduled appointment, avoid a major headache. U already said they test u everytime which is overly doing it in my opinion anyway. so that should tell u enough how these guys are.

@mazda01 - Having observed bluelight for almost 10 years (5+ years before even registering here) I know the rules pretty well and respect the site enough to not blame them for my own mistake but if a mod needs to delete this than so be it. I know this is here for information and harm reduction, I just wanted to hear opinions so that I can help form my own.

You really should be fine.

The ug/mL tests for concentration are precise, but your body is not. If you slept in and took your dose late it would be affected. If you had extra pain and took an extra it would be affected. If you forgot a dose it would be affected.

As long as there's a generally therapeutic level in your bloodstream I don't think it's an issue. I think they're really looking for people that have ZERO, because that indicates diversion or abuse for sure.

@MadeInChicago - it was explained to me that it was the dr being cautious and covering his own butt while also insuring that a) you are not taking anything you're not supposed to, while b) making sure it's actually in your system and you're not selling it off.

From the Guidelines:
Disallowed Subjects:
1) NO DRUG TESTING QUESTIONS
We do not allow threads asking how to beat a drug test, how drug tests work, what they can detect, etc. We do not allow threads asking how long a given drug stays in your system, because that information can easily be found here and elsewhere with a simple google search.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.