Writing-up Opinions wanted on US Safe Injection Facilities

Ph0r.W3-R-m4ny

Bluelighter
THIS STUDY IS NO LONGER RECRUITING

(Posting this for a friend)

Insite is a healthcare facility run by the Canadian government. According to Canadian law the healthcare providers at Insite cannot provide users with drugs nor can users exchange drugs within the building. It is also unlawful for anyone other than the user him or herself to perform the injection. Local police have agreed not to arrest people entering the facility in order to not scare users away from the facility. The following statement was taken from Insite’s website and outlines their goals.

Since opening its doors in 2003, Insite has been a safe, health-focused place where people inject drugs and connect to health care services – from primary care to treat disease and infection, to addiction counseling and treatment.
Insite is North America’s first legal supervised injection site. The BC Ministry of Health Services provides operational funding for Insite through Vancouver Coastal Health, which operates the facility.

Insite operates on a harm-reduction model, which is a policy or program directed towards decreasing the adverse health, social and economic consequences of drug use without requiring abstinence from drug use.

Insite aims to reduce disease spread by intravenous drug use as well as overall health by providing clean utensils for users to use in a clean, well lit area as well as providing general healthcare services for their clients. In 2009, Insite recorded 484 overdoses; thanks to the medical staff, there were no fatalities. Since the opening of Insite, public order has also improved in the surrounding neighborhood by reducing public injections and injection related litter.

Insite also provides addiction and mental health services to those who wish to participate. Above Insite there is a rehabilitation facility named Onsite. The two work together and onsite has 12 beds to assist in detox and withdrawal management.

QUESTIONS:

How would you feel about a supervised injection facility similar to Insite opening in the US?

Do you feel that a service similar to this would help or harm a community which is already suffering from a drug problem?

Please answer the following Yes or No:

Would you be open to the possibility of American lawmakers allowing a program like this to be established on a trial basis with the continuation of this program being based on its success?

Have you ever used drugs intravenously?

If yes, when you used IV drugs, would you have used a service similar to this if it were
available?

And Finally, have you used any illicit substances at all? Feel free to list.

Your answers to this survey will be used only for a final paper for one of my classes; once the data is compiled all responses will be erased or shredded. These are for my personal use only and will never be used for any official studies. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions; your participation is appreciated.

Please Email responses to funkervoght @ aol dot com
(Or you can just post them here)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
a site like this would reduce hiv/aids hepc a etc and be a haven if an od were to occur

no harm due to iv users are users and non iv users wont become one cuz a site is open..ita a black/white choice you will iv or will not..maybe is not a part of it...i may drive fast but i will not drive and drink..get it?

yes
yes
yes sometimes other times no
yes..ok i have NOT tried pcp and ludes and some r/c's and huffing gas etc..all else yes i did/do now

Hey folks I had a chat with this researcher and he has already closed this study and will report the results as soon as they are available. Hence the prefix 'Writing up'.

Feel free to answer the questions for the hell of it, but the study is no longer 'recruiting'.