• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids opinion: best opiate agonist to taper then kick habit

I would taper down using the same drug you are addicted to then switch to kratom in capsules. A capsule machine and 1000 capsule could be bought for 35 bucks... Its a good investment. The reason I say capsules is because capsules don't have as much of a rush as the tea. Its more of an even buzz which is what you need when you are tapering. Kratom isn't going to get you super high but it will keep you from killing yourself during the withdrawal period.

i kind of see where you're going with this.
it is possible, but it's going to take a godly amount of self discipline.
the human brain is an amazing tool and this could go great or end up a devastating disaster. if you can truly be in control of it, this should work. dependent individuals with fairly low tolerances do tapers to get off full agonists and are often successful. but i'm putting emphasis on the low tolerances part of that statement. keep in mind that it's going to be uncomfortable at some point regardless of how you opt to do this. it kind of seems like you're forgetting that fact (but maybe not, just throwing it out there).

on the other hand, your brain could turn on you and you could potentially end up worse off. you could find that your mind is telling you that you need to take more of the full agonist to get by. when this happens, you could start to feel like you're in withdrawal all the time (even when you're truly not) unless you up your dose. the mind is tricky like that. you say that you don't want to get high anymore now, and that it's not about that part, but what if you decide one day that maybe you do want just a little nod? no harm in that, it's just a one time thing right? wrong. it's possible that you will start rationalizing things about your use (which you more than likely have experienced in the past) and before you know it- you're back at square zero with a full blown addiction yet again. at that point, you might not even care anymore because your brain is so twisted in addiction it has you thinking it's no big deal, you can start up the taper again next week. but next week never comes.

i'm not going to say that you're thinking is all wrong and you're moving ass-backward, i'm just pointing out that there are potential problems that could arise. you have to take all possibilities in to account. i honestly hope that this does indeed work out for you and that you are clean and happy at the end of it. just be cautious. as fm1983 mentioned- it's hard to say no to your drug of choice when it's at your disposal and you're the one in charge of it.

i do understand how this could work. tapering really is one of the most efficient methods for getting rid of a habit.
i find that after i take my suboxone for a few consecutive days i can use low doses of oxycodone (my drug of choice) for 1-2 days with very little repercussion. it's almost like i'm detoxing from the oxycodone using suboxone and then vice versa. but for me, it always turns out that i end up using more than those 1-2 days because i have the tiiiiiiniest of withdrawal symptoms- like a runny nose- and i fuck it up. or i start taking suboxone again just because. i don't have much self discipline/control when it comes to my addiction, but i honestly hope that you do and that you can beat it.

technically it's the suboxone you are addicted to at this point, so you could theoretically use a different substance//full agonist to detox if you do it right.

good luck to you and let us know what you end up getting and how you go about your taper. lots of progress updates! i'm interested :)

oh! one more thing- just how are you going to go about obtaining it from your doctor? are you going to tell him the truth? do you see a dirty doctor? or are you actually a pain management patient?

Last edited:
I say go with hydromorphone, it will be the most humane. I've done it a few times and it works great for me. Everything about the experience is shorter. It's much easier telling yourself you can beat it if there are only 12-24 hours left, instead of the days you would have to struggle with morphine--I've tried that one too. You can tough it out man, just perk up and get yourself some codeine if you can get your hands on it. If you can't get any codeine, try the loperamide, at least your GI tract won't suffer as badly.

Good luck, my friend!
You can do it!

-Scott