• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates

pjhioaqhwwadd

Greenlighter
About how frequently (and at what intervals) can people (on average) use low doses of opiates (po, <10 mg/dose oxy, <4 mg dilaudid) without becoming physically dependent? How frequently (and at what intervals) can people use at low (see above) doses without developing tolerance to rec effects? I recognize there's tremendous individual variation.

I take either Oxy Codone or Hydrocodone once a week at 15-20mg oxy or 25-30mg hydrocodone. I'm far from physically dependent, and tolerance hasn't been an issue. My dosage has increased just because I want a stronger effect, not because the 10-15mg wasn't giving the same effects.

However, awhile back (About 2 years, maybe more) I was taking 60-80mg Oxy Codone daily for about 2 months because I had two full bottles sitting around from previous surgeries. This was my first bout with opiates. Once the prescription was out I just quit. I didn't feel a need to find an opiate dealer or anything. I just went cold turkey, and I don't recall any withdrawal symptoms. I was chronically ill at the time, and the effects of the withdrawal may have been masked in my general illness, though.

I can't give you any hard numbers, but I can say for sure that <10mg/oxy once a week will not caused dependency if you have the willpower to not overindulge. That's a big if because it's far from an easy task. Opiates are amazing; until they aren't.

The rate at which physical dependence develops is contingent on several variables (some of which you've already mentioned), such as the strength of the opioid used, its abuse potential (how rewarding and reinforcing a stimulus the drug is), the dosage used, the manner of use (i.e., as per the doctor's instructions or just to get high), the consistency of use, the frequency of use, the frequency of redosing, the interval of time provided between doses, the user's tolerance, the user's physiology and gender and body size, and so forth.

One cannot solve the question using most of these variables without knowing the particular opioid used, as a given answer is contingent on the given drug, as there is little congruence between different opioids and their rates of developing physical dependence.

But, in the case of <4 mg dilaudid, supposing for some variables like body dimensions and sex, I would presume an interval around one month of regular use with a frequency of ~3 doses per day would be sufficient to establish a physical addiction in the user.

As for <10 mg oxy, I cannot say because I'm not sure if you mean oxycodone or oxymorphone.

It's impossible to say. Everyone is different.

That's kind of a non-answer, don't you think? Of course, it may be impossible or very difficult to say with absolute certainty, but one may still say with some degree of certainty by making a few assumptions and guesstimates.

While all people are unremarkably different from one another, they're remarkably similar; people are significantly more alike than unalike. Thus, not only does this make epidemiology and evidence-based medicine possible, but it also enables one to make predictions about how a drug will most probably affect a random individual.

^Actually, Sekio's right. The wide range of possibilities makes giving you a realistic expectation a disservice.

I think it depends a large amount on whether or not you have ever been really addicted. For those that have (like me), doing even a single 4mg dilaudid after 3 months of nothing make me feel crappy the next day or two. No real w/d effects, at least nowhere near the degree of ones from full blown use, just general malaise.

The problem is upping the dosage and frequency, which happens soooo often. Even if we could say definitively 'x amount of drug y days apart' would be safe/non-addictive, you'd take that as a challenge (or bullshit) and ride that line all that much closer.

I have a friend who gets high just once a month on opiates. Even tho he frequently goes 25+ days w/o, the few days he has them, well, the next few are bad. and he's almost always thinking about opiates.

Dependence is a step away from addiction.

ROA, variable bioavailability, peak blood concentration, etc. are hard to measure as they bring too much variation into the picture for pretty much anyone to give a clear answer. This answer would require pretty much an essay.

A week for me. Or if you take Kratom every day you can do it more frequently.

I have had, maybe, ten experiences with opiates or opiods, including kratom. I hadn't used any for a couple years last week when I decided to buy 100mg oxy IR. I used that 100 mg in 12h and bought another 100mg the next day and did pretty much the same. So I wake up the next day and my skin and muscles ache and I just feel off. Anxious, not getting out of bed all day, I couldn't believe it.

So that was all to say that it really can vary extremely.