• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates make me so hungry

Yea for me they make me eat bad food moreso than hungry. I usually want me tons of sweets, which makes the constipation ten times worse..

-GC

most opiates/opioids make me crave sweets too. It's different for me with kratom though. I get the munchies for all kinds of food really bad from large doses of kratom. When I cave in and eat, though, it never feels satisfying so I'll keep eating and eating without ever feeling satiated. It's actually kind of a bummer/annoying.

^Exactly. Traditional opioids make me sick as hell, but I get horrible cravings for sugary and fatty foods from kratom

It may be the very act of lipid satiation that's potentiating the actual opiate. Eating is a reward mechanism in of itself with quantifiable changes. It bares no surprise that opiates merely can take advantage of another small D2-bump. This is especially compounded in those who have a psychological predisposition to "comfort eating."

"It is clear that consumption of a high-fat diet can affect the brain reward system. During early development, a high-fat diet can change DA and opioid gene expression within reward circuits. One outcome of this altered gene expression is an increased preference for palatable foods, which are typically calorie dense. "

It may be the very act of lipid satiation that's potentiating the actual opiate. Eating is a reward mechanism in of itself with quantifiable changes. It bares no surprise that opiates merely can take advantage of another small D2-bump. This is especially compounded in those who have a psychological predisposition to "comfort eating."

"It is clear that consumption of a high-fat diet can affect the brain reward system. During early development, a high-fat diet can change DA and opioid gene expression within reward circuits. One outcome of this altered gene expression is an increased preference for palatable foods, which are typically calorie dense. "
Now this is solid info, makes complete sense. When I haven’t eaten and dose my iso and get super high, I CRAVE something fatty. And I grew up not being taught about healthier foods, and I immediately fell in love with dopaminergic drugs once I experienced them.

Sugar cravings are a common side effect of opiates indeed, but I always tried to eat fruit as it's sweet without being unhealthy. Fresh fruit on an opiate high is truly great imo. Extra points for grapefruit since it makes your drugs stronger!

It happens to me too but not during the high but rather the day after.
Tramadol is the opioid that takes away my appetite the most. While on it I can go without eating for a whole day but the day after or when Tramadol wears off, I eat everything in sight (especially sweets).