• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Opiates dismay (w/injury) - Rx, hospital morphine, etc. (first times)

IronLung_AK

Bluelighter
Opiates dismay (w/injury) - Rx, hospital morphine, etc.

Ruptured L5 disc in lower back and after a frustrating and EXTREMELY painful month (left leg: S1 nerve going off - constant cramping, burning, waves and waves of pain 24 hours a day, spasms), I eventually went in for surgery. This experience is my first with morphine, and I hope to understand what was going on or, even better, find out what WASN'T going on.

Green bud smoker daily for 18 years of my 33. I am a 185lbs, white male. Mildly athletic, mostly sitting. Alcohol was never easy for me, enjoy it sometimes, mostly just smoke. Morning noon and night. Never achieved any real effects from pain killers, valium, etc. - basically all pills except ibuprofen don't manage to help or hurt me in any way.

Prescribed meds during my PRE-surgery and POST-surgery period: meprozine 50-25 (demerol?), oxycod+apap 5/325(oxycontin+acetaminophen?), hydroco/apap 5/500(hydrocodone+acetaminophen?), roxicodone 5(oxycontin?), temazepam 30(hypnotic?). To my dismay, none of these in their prescribed (1-2 [or increased 3-4]) form did ANYTHING for me (all full pills - no crushing, etc.) as far as pain moderation or control. I would enjoy some deliriousness at 6 pills of the oxyxodone+acet but as I was lying in bed for weeks on end with only bathroom or kitchen trips and maybe walking a block or two (getting to appointments) - it quickly dawned on me that i needed would exceed my recommended dosage by multiples, consuming my entire bottle in days. My requests for help to my doctor were met with concern that i was out for addictive meds - of course he is no longer my doctor...

summation: I am naturally tolerant to opiate medication, although the pain was so bad I couldn't even tell if I was getting stoned or not. I contacted an Anchorage orthopedic surgeon and flew to Anchorage for immediate surgery.

In the hospital, awaiting and after surgery, I was connected via IV to a morphine drip machine with timer allowed button control. This must have helped my condition but other than being a little more comfortable in the bed, I felt no inebriation. After surgery, I wanted to give this morphine a run for its money. With a clear head, small meal in my gut, and with a constant pressing of the morphine button every moment it allowed - I then called the nurse's attention to my need for more pain assistance. I was delivered a moderately sized syringe worth of morphine directly into the IV.

I expected a morphine high like i know people have enjoyed for centuries before - I didn't get it. To be honest - I experienced some panic as the sensation of my internal organs cooling to the point of freezing swept over me. It was as if i had received a shot of menthol or camphor - icy and glowing. It was not enjoyable, nor did it give me any hope of enjoying such things in the future. The feeling lasted about an hour and a half until the frozen internals settled down. It was kinda like a bad trip during that time but nothing I wasn't calm and gently disappointed through.

Why did I get that reaction? Why do I not get effective results from medications my doctors are prescribing me? Anyone have a guess why I have such a tolerance for these drugs?

What should I do with the remaining medications in the most 'within boundary' attempt to get a solid euphoric or inebriating result? I would be happy to snort if that is the best way to go but from what I've read in these forums - you might as well just crush and eat it and save your nose. Note: recovery was swift - in 4 days i was back at work, in three weeks i was snowboarding, I feel great now.

I too have had bad ongoing back problems (erosive arthritis in sacroiliac joints), and have been through many painkillers and anti inflammatories. When the pain is most severe, I have rarely found that my pain has been effectively mitigated by my medication.

On the occasions it has, I would not say that my pain has been replaced by any great opiate high.

Obviously from what you have written, you have a very high tolerance to opiates, but from my personal experience and my guestimations, it is very hard to reach a pleasant opiate high when you have very very severe underlying pain.

bRAVEheart

That's what I was thinking. Really the wrong setting (with all the pain etc..) to enjoy any type of high from the opiates. Not only that, but most people have to "learn" how to enjoy the high from them, especially people used to smoking bud. I didn't get that much off 40mg of Oxycontin snorted, nothing amazing at all, I would of got higher off a decent hit of weed.

It was definitely not the best situation, I would have much rather not been hurt in the first place. The morphine was there and all I had to do was ask, the pills sit here without any pain relief needed, so I was just wondering if I should pass them off to someone who can get a buzz or save them for the next pain emergency. Or maybe a couple shots o'whiskey and 40mg of the Roxy when it looks like no bud? The bud we get in Alaska has always gotten me more than high enough, I guess I shouldn't even give a hoot about these pills but Bluelight brought out the curiousity in me...

thx Splatt, 1braveheart1

Looks to me like herb is all you need.

Thats why they are prescribing Medical Marijuana to cancer patients that have become so tollerant to all opiates that even when prescribed 80mg oc's several times a day, still feel pain. I had an absessed tooth once. After demerol, hydrocodone, and some percs, the only thing that really took my pain away was some good old homegrown chronic. Goodluck...

The title reminded me of when I got morphine in the hospital. I was about 13 years old and broke my arm while playing soccer, pretty nasty break. 30 minutes later I'm in the hospital. They needed to put me under to reset the bones but I had just eaten an hour before the accident, so I had to wait for 6 hours with a broken arm. I got a syringe full of morphine through IV, this was my first time ever with a strong opiate. Almost instantly I felt like puking, :| then they gave me an IV of an anti-nausea medicine, made it much better. So they put me in a room to wait, and all I remember is watching the wall swirl, almost a mushroom or acid type open eye visual, then I passed out for a few hours. I woke up in a panic attack, felt like I was going to die. Passed back out for a few more hours. It wasn't a totally negitive experience, I did enjoy the morphine for a little while. %)

It took me 5-10 times to understand and focus on the narcotic buzz because I was looking to get "fucked up". now I use them to relax and kill pain.

So codeine turns into morphine in your brain right? How much morphine would 250mg of codeine be? Cuz I can get fucked up on 250mg of codeine.

on those pills they gave you

2-4 hydrocodones 5/500 or oxycodones 5/500 would have gotten me to a happy place CRUSHED or at least broken a few times

so maybe you didnt take enough at once, and maybe not crushing really makes a huge difference

people i talk to who dont crush still say it feels good, however i never take the risk because crushing has alwasy worked for me, and why change when you got a good thing going

other possibilities

you were in a real pain so that it wasnt so much fun to take opiates, it just releaved the pain you had

you expected too much. until i started taking H, i never got very inebriated on opiods. 10-30 (30 mg max) of hydrocodone/oxycodone and i would be nicely relaxed, but never felt fucked up or messed up. i thought they were gonna be a lot stronger, but they were very nice in a subtle way and i learned to love them. pot is a much more obvious feeling.

maybe opiates are just not for you. i used to be a 3-5 time a day weed smoker, and now i would take a bag of H over an ounce of bud. bud is chill, i guess, but still very stimulating to me in a way. opiates relax me in the way I like to be realxed.

I can totally see how you may have had this feeling and experience in a hospital with morphine.
When I broke my hand they gave it to me the same way you got it. I loved it though - the first shot they gave me was big, and I waited about 10 seconds after injection asking "Ok... Where's it at? I dont feeohhhhHHHHH Shit!"... as that numbing/freezing/burning feeling sweeps over you. I was verrrrry happy with the feeling for a while. Wish I could get myself some morphine pills to pop every once in a while, but all they give me is this damn hydrocodone. hehe

You must understand how the P450 agonist Opiate receptors work. In Laymans terms, if you are in pain, there is not much euphoria. The brain receptors are essentially blocked from the transmission of the pain feeling as the opiate crosses the blood brain barrier. The euphoria you desire only typically occurs at dangerous levels of narcotic intoxication, and typically in people that dont have pain enough to warrant a narcotic medication. No Flame

Old thread but wow! Dig that quote” should i jis pass these off to someone who can get a decent high off of them”
What a cool mofo! His hearts in the right place!