• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids opiates and depression

Cosmic Trigger

Bluelighter
I have a painful illness and a lifetime of low to medium grade depression. I've been prescribed Oxycodone for the pain but have found that it lifts my depression. I use as needed and so at this time don't have tolerance issues. In other words I get a nice warm glow when I take it, which is usually at night when the pain won't allow for sleep. I look forward to my nighttime doses as I feel finally positive about being alive on this crazy rock.

But what I worry about is tolerance issues and the glow eventually fading and then my symptoms being even worse. So here's my question. If I attempt to get off the opiates what non pharmaceuticals do you think would work well for alleviating my mild/medium depression? Or should I just resign myself to ever increasing dependence on opiates?:(

PS I plan on possibly substituting Kratom for the Oxy if possible.

You could try an antidepressant called tianeptine, it too acts on the opioid receptors.
Maybe some other antidepressant and you should try Cognitive behavioral therapy
Hope you feel better soon :)

Heya,

I have struggled with depression for many years and am currently on an SSRI called fluvoxamine, which seems to be quite effective. I use the word seems because I have been on one SSRI or another for so long now it's difficult to tell how effective it/they are.

More to the point of your post, I too have found opiates to be incredibly effective at lifting one's mood. I mean, it would be easy for someone to say "well, obviously - you're wasted, of course you're going to feel better about life, the universe and everything..."

But I think it's more complex than that. I am on methadone (on account of my long struggle with illicit opiate use), and I find my mood to be much more stable than when i was taking an anti-depressant alone. And I mean my mood is better than it was before I ever tried an opiate, and was just on an SSRI.

I take 50 mg methadone a day, and i find it gives me energy, calms me, decreases negative rumination, stimulates appetite and helps combat anxiety. I also haven't had to up the dose to attain the same level of positive feeling. I have been on 50 mg for almost a year and have no intention of increasing that dose. Nor have I had to, or felt the need to, increase my SSRI dose (150 mg fluvoxamine for those of you playing along at home).

So you are certainly not alone in finding significant anti-depressant properties in pain-killers. Tramadol is an option too, because it is a semi-synthetic opiate (albeit relativity weak in comparison to others - but an opiate nonetheless) AND it's also an SNRI, which are prescribed to treat depression (Effexor being one of the more commonly prescribed SNRI's).

So Tramadol is an anti-depressant and an opiate in one. Perhaps you could do some research into it and see what you think instead of listening to me prattle on.

But anyways good luck with everything

peace :)

I cringe when I read about people loving OxyContin as it relieves them of their depression..yes it does and it will for months, maybe a year or more then it backfires..your depression and apathy is worse, you are a recluse dependent on larger doses ..

Kratom would be your best bet..that seems to have much more staying power and much easier to quit than oxy..still though, not sure how effective kratom is for depression long term..

Your best non pharmaceutical weapon against depression is exercise, intense exercise

I have polyneuropathy and can hardly do any exercise now. I went from being a martial arts instructor and all around outdoor survivalist/ hiker to the shadow of all that now. So exercise is out sorry to say.

Heya,

I have struggled with depression for many years and am currently on an SSRI called fluvoxamine, which seems to be quite effective. I use the word seems because I have been on one SSRI or another for so long now it's difficult to tell how effective it/they are.

More to the point of your post, I too have found opiates to be incredibly effective at lifting one's mood. I mean, it would be easy for someone to say "well, obviously - you're wasted, of course you're going to feel better about life, the universe and everything..."

But I think it's more complex than that. I am on methadone (on account of my long struggle with illicit opiate use), and I find my mood to be much more stable than when i was taking an anti-depressant alone. And I mean my mood is better than it was before I ever tried an opiate, and was just on an SSRI.

I take 50 mg methadone a day, and i find it gives me energy, calms me, decreases negative rumination, stimulates appetite and helps combat anxiety. I also haven't had to up the dose to attain the same level of positive feeling. I have been on 50 mg for almost a year and have no intention of increasing that dose. Nor have I had to, or felt the need to, increase my SSRI dose (150 mg fluvoxamine for those of you playing along at home).

So you are certainly not alone in finding significant anti-depressant properties in pain-killers. Tramadol is an option too, because it is a semi-synthetic opiate (albeit relativity weak in comparison to others - but an opiate nonetheless) AND it's also an SNRI, which are prescribed to treat depression (Effexor being one of the more commonly prescribed SNRI's).

So Tramadol is an anti-depressant and an opiate in one. Perhaps you could do some research into it and see what you think instead of listening to me prattle on.

But anyways good luck with everything

peace :)

Thank you brother for that reply, I've been depressed much of my life so I hear you. In the past I used tons of exercise/sex/food/psychedelics/etc. to deal with this but those days are over due to my age and disease. I'm going to really look into what you've suggested. Thanks again and the best of luck to you.