• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiate Withdrawal -- Can't Sleep Well

Michael_25

Bluelighter
I'm coming off oxycodone. I notice that when I try to sleep, that there is this kind of "restlessness" in the bottom of my spine. I don't really know how else to describe it.However, it's consciously present, and it can take hours before I get to sleep.

Anyone experienced this? Did you find a remedy for the situation?

Thank you!

Are you surprised by that? DON'T EXPECT any sleep while in Opiate W/D. Esp. strong ones just like Oxycodone.

Restlessness is a VERY COMMON side affect of Opiate W/D...esp. your legs, arms, etc.

If you want to counter act the symptoms you either have to relapse on opiates (which I don't recommend you doing) or substitute for another class of drugs such as Benzo's (which I don't recommend either).
You're just going to have to ride it out of you want to complete it, expect 1-2 weeks of physical W/D and a LONG time for the phsychological part of W/D...
Not trying to scare you at all, I'm telling you these things by experience.

Here are your choices-

1. Rehab (which I REALLY recommend)
2. Methadone Therapy (MMT) (I don't recommend Methadone, but I can't say that cuz I'm Methadone)
3. Benzos (to help you sleep and help with cravings) (which I really don't recommend, Benzo W/D is nastier than opiate W/D itself)
4. Ride it out with help of OTC's (I really recommend this, get some Loperamide for diareah, Nyquil for insomnia, Benadryl for nausea, etc.)

Are you surprised by that? DON'T EXPECT any sleep while in Opiate W/D. Esp. strong ones just like Oxycodone.

Restlessness is a VERY COMMON side affect of Opiate W/D...esp. your legs, arms, etc.

If you want to counter act the symptoms you either have to relapse on opiates (which I don't recommend you doing) or substitute for another class of drugs such as Benzo's (which I don't recommend either).
You're just going to have to ride it out of you want to complete it, expect 1-2 weeks of physical W/D and a LONG time for the phsychological part of W/D...
Not trying to scare you at all, I'm telling you these things by experience.

Here are your choices-

1. Rehab (which I REALLY recommend)
2. Methadone Therapy (MMT) (I don't recommend Methadone, but I can't say that cuz I'm Methadone)
3. Benzos (to help you sleep and help with cravings) (which I really don't recommend, Benzo W/D is nastier than opiate W/D itself)
4. Ride it out with help of OTC's (I really recommend this, get some Loperamide for diareah, Nyquil for insomnia, Benadryl for nausea, etc.)
Hey thanks for the detailed reply! My habit is reasonably smaller compared to others: 60mg a day. I do have diazepam but my tolerance to benzos is through the fucking roof; I need at least 120mg for its effects to be felt. I have some Lyrica? Does that help? I don't really feel nausea so the Benadryl is not needed.

the only way I can sleep during opiate withdrawal is with the use of benzos but be very very careful. they can be just as addictive as opiates. one thing I used that seemed to help the RLS was a product called Hylands Restful Legs. not sure if it really helped or was just a placebo because ive heard people talk very highly and very nagativly on it. it seemed to help me out tremendously during methadone withdrawals.

the only way I can sleep during opiate withdrawal is with the use of benzos but be very very careful. they can be just as addictive as opiates. one thing I used that seemed to help the RLS was a product called Hylands Restful Legs. not sure if it really helped or was just a placebo because ive heard people talk very highly and very nagativly on it. it seemed to help me out tremendously during methadone withdrawals.

brandino34, did you get that Hylands Restful Legs OTC? Or is that a med you need to get prescribed?

My two cents is to use unisom. It's a common sleep aid. I will switch between benzo and a sleep aid to avoid any addiction to the benzo.

I just wish there was something to cure the sweats..

You stated you had lyrica. This is probably the best medication to get rid of the restlessness and aid with sleep. Coming off 60 mg a day, you may not even feel it with the aid of lyrica.

Another method I would REALLY recommend is to taper down if you can.
60mg isn't a BUNCH of OXY, but it's still enough to make you real uncomfortable during W/D.

You should TAPER yourself off if you're looking to get off opiates completely.
IMO when your still on only 60mg of Oxy a day you're still ahead of the game, and you should DEF. take advantage of that and taper off and get off while you still can!

the first day of taper you should probably drop no more than 10mg...Here's how I would taper-- (if you have enough oxy)

day 1- 50mg
day 2- 45mg
day 3- 40mg
etc..

go down 5mg a day AT MAX. That'll really minimize your W/D and make it a lot easier.

yikes I just got back on here. yes hylands restful legs is OTC. I got it at a walgreens, im sure you can fin it at a riteaid or walmart too. its like 8 bucks and you take them sublingually.

A lot of users complain of this body restlessness. When I have issues falling asleep when I am taking a "break", I do have trouble sleeping because of restlessness usually in my whole body. After dinner, try to go for a walk. I take a long hot shower and focus on breathing. I know I am going to be uncomfortable so I prepare myself in bed. I prop my pillows the way I like. I personally like a pillow under my back where I have pains. I use an ice pack or heating pad some days. I wear comfy clothes. Make sure the temperature of the room is nice. I read before bed, to try to get tired, I watch netflix, I set my TV timer for it to go off after an hour. I give my body a chance to try to sleep in the dark with no noise. If this doesnt work, I turn the TV back on, or a light and read, or listen to music. I have a playlist of songs to sleep to, that once in a while, will really work to put me asleep. The only thing that really ALWAYS helps, is taking a xanax (I have a script). I hear Benadryl also works to relax the body and even works as an over the counter anxiety aide (my dad is a doctor). Along with this, he has told me, anything with PM or for sleeping, may help when I am out of xanax. My boyfriend, gets this feeling in his legs all the time, and can't take it. There is an over the counter aide we have never tried for restlessness. I also try to massage his legs while he closes his eyes. I can related to being uncomfortable and is just something I prepare for. Do tricks that relax you physically and don't forget, mentally, too. Sleeping is when you body heals, so night by night, this feeling should subside. Best of luck for comfortable and full nights of sleep!