• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiate tolerance and DXM

thrash89

Greenlighter
Hi, I've been taking various opiates for a number of years now (diydrocodeine and codeine) and my tolerance is fairly high, I tried DXM to lower it but it doesn't seem to work, the effects are near to nothing, is there any reason why?

Thanks

DXM and NMDA antagonists do not lower tolerance per se, they more prevent it from developing. If you're already tolerant, really the only way to reduce your tolerance is to take some kind of break.

Now, taking DXM is a great way to take a break (well, assuming it's not something you do often or long term). If you enjoy its effects, it's a pretty wicked painless way of dealing with withdrawal. Perhaps try not taking any opioids for a day or two by taking a 1st or 2nt plateau dose of DXM on those days and using other stuff to keep you from getting too sick (benzos, clonidine, gabapentin, etc - but avoid opioids so as to lower your tolerance). By day two or three, let alone if you can make it four to seven days (although I'm not comfortable recommending anyone use DXM daily for a week, even if I used it like that for far longer), you'll be far less tolerant.

Then you can resume taking lower doses of DXM with your opioids to prevent tolerance from rapidly building back up. That is at least my understanding of how NMDA antagonists and tolerance works. Have you seen the big NMDA antagonist thread? It's pretty cool: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...lection-of-the-evidence-and-anecdotal-reports

BTW welcome to BL!

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it!

Do you know how long I should detox for? Just one week? Also can I taperdown my dosage gradually to reduce tolerance instead of quiting cold turkey?

Last edited:
Yes, but tapering to reduce your dose will take longer.

Frankly just taking a 48hr break will begin to significantly lower your tolerance. Four days it will be much lower. A week and it will be nearly baseline. It will build up again pretty fast, so dosing as low as is practical and being really consistent with using them a lowish dose of a moderate to long acting NMDA agonist (like 60-90mg DXM polistyrex) will be important if you want to prevent your tolerance from rising again to fast.

With opioid use, when there wasn't as issue with scarcity I tended to find a dose I liked but was very careful about my propensity toward compulsive use. stick to it with regularity. Frankly once I found that place tolerance wasn't a big issues, as I got what I needed out of it.

When you are taking you opioid taking it once a day (no more than twice a day) as consistently as possible it will take significantly longer for tolerance to develop than if you were to take a normal dose one day and a huge dose another.

Sorry to bump this but I had a 1 week tolerance break and it seemed to reduce it slightly (I could feel the effects again), but even with taking DXM my tolerance rose again, what's weird is I can feel the effects stronger from codeine than dihydrocodeine (but it's shorter), is there any reason why? How long should codeine last? 4 hours? It only seems to last around 1 hour for me.

Thanks

What is your normal tolerance to codeine like? With more intense habits it's more desirably effects can indeed fade very quickly (but that goes for most opioids).

Doesn't DXM interfere with the metabolic conversion of codeine to morphine via cpy inhibition?