• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Opiate potentiation from marijuana

SayWhatHEH

Bluelighter
How does marijuana increase opiates effects? Does it actually increase CNS depression or does it just feel like it?
I ask because on numerous occasions I have gone from feeling totally fine and alert, to smoking weed and getting paranoid that my CNS has slowed down significantly... It feels like it has... I also become a lot more susceptible to nodding out.

To summarize: Does smoking weed on top of opiates make opiates more dangerous??!!

cannabis can cause respiratory depression but generally if you're a regular weed smoker you will have developed a significant tolerance to most of the respiratory depressing effects.
however I can't say that even w/ a tolerance that it couldn't theoretically potentiate respiratory depression to a potentially dangerous degree when combined w/ high doses of opioids, it does seem like it could be possible, moreso in certain individuals than others.
BUT on the other hand the web searching I did on this topic yielded no mentions of marijuana ever being implicated as contributing to an opioid overdose.
I don't know for sure.
but always better safe than sorry.

EDIT: kind of missed the fact that you were talking about CNS depression in general not specifically respiratory depression ...pardon me it's almost 630am and I'm still up. but it is essentially purely respiratory depression that makes opioids dangerous as far as an OD goes, so I feel I adequately responded to your summarizing question.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/574157-Opiates-Cannabis-respiratory-depression
here's an old thread detailing posters' personal experiences on the matter.

I personally find weed to somewhat potentiate opiates, a LITTLE bit of weed though. or else it just seems like the pot high overwhelms the opiate high and I don't even feel high on heroin or whatever anymore, just weed. I've never felt like I was in even the slightest amount of danger however even when combining large quantities of the two.

NOW WEED & CIGS on the other hand ...back before I was officially a cigarette smoker and just smoked one here or there, smoking a cigarette after weed made me straight up fall over and faint several times and made me feel like I surely would have had I not then quickly sat or lay down more times then I can count.

No you are wrong, cannabis can not cause respiratory depression as cannabinoids do not work in the medulla oblongata.

^Yes, marijuana usually is so potent that it overpowers everything.

I have found if i don't use my medical cannabis in the AM with my 350 mcg of buprenorphine I go into WD's much sooner. Now this could be related to the lack of THC or it could have to do with actual potentiation that just has not been fully researched or studied.

Marijuana's effects' - THC's effects and Cannabidiol's - last quite a long time, so that is why. It wouldn't be due to potentiation. Potentiation means it just increases or makes the high/euphoria of the buprenorphine more intense, not the duration. It wouldn't make the half-life longer. It would be due to marijuana's long duration itself.

Opiods AND cannabis? This sounds like a recipe for disaster. I knew an ex-paramedic who took in a group of FIVE lads who were smoking weed in their back garden mixed with codiene, 90mg they reported they took, ALL were taken ill into hospital, he tells me that it can happen to anyone, this was no coincidence from the doctor's report.

Don't forget that CBD can act as an allosteric modulator at mu- and delta-opioid receptors http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16489449
But I doubt that it makes much of a difference.

Would you be able to explain to me what exactly an allosteric modulator is or what this means it does?

For the record, I take bupe daily and feel almost nothing from it. But as soon as I smoke some good bud, I am in instant nod land.

Marijuana enhances most substances. However, I've definitely found that smoking too much marijuana (when combined with opiates in particular) overrides the wonderful life-destroying euphoria that we love. I try to smoke less on opiates and somehow the high becomes better than 18 bong rips :ROFLMAO:

This combination is absolutely safe until someone proves to me that death can occur from the combination itself. Most importantly, always gauge your tolerance based on milligram count. If one is dealing with heroin, only you know your heroin tolerance based on what your product is like and the dealer. Even then, it can be very difficult to discern if you're crossing a line. I love oxycodone with marijuana. Until oxycodone completely hooked me (roughly about 1.5 years ago or so) I had always combined them every single time. It was expensive as hell. Yes.

He careful cannabis can enhance them to much and even cause a near overdose I know this from personal experience

I find it strange that most of the heroin users I knew didn't like weed. But i used to love smoking on top of my gear because it brought on the nod from the gear and removed any paranoia from the weed. Lush...