• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiate..now heroin addiction....NO periods/Menstruation cycles

skittlesxo

Bluelighter
Hi, I have I know its a symptom of opiate/heroin addiction for a female to have her periods stop. But now I am getting really worried after talking to a friend. I have not had a period in about five years. Its not healthy for me to not bleed. Is it really that dangerous? Can other females, or guys with addicted gfs please talk about this. Im getting scared because I cannot stop using and I dont know what will happen if I continue to use and not get periods. Can someone comment on this issue please?

my ex girlfriend had the same thing for the same amount of time. it would sometimes come back if we did some crystal and got horny, no joke, sex will (sometimes) make it come back.

my ex girlfriend had the same thing for the same amount of time. it would sometimes come back if we did some crystal and got horny, no joke, sex will (sometimes) make it come back.
This is true.
My (now) ex girlfriend had the same problem.
I'm not sure If it really is an issue though.
Ask your gynecologist maybe.

My wife is in the same position, we're heroin addicts and she hasn't had a period for 4 or 5 years. She was on the contraceptive injection but came off it 3 or 4 years ago. We thought that at some point her periods would start up again but they haven't, and she's very worried. We're trying to kick at the moment, so if that goes to plan maybe they'll start up again. I'll update this thread if anything happens or if I find something out. If anyone else has any info please do chime in, this is a real worry for us.

I've only been using a few years, but I use veryyyyy heavily, and have never experienced this before. I still get mine;
irregular and not every month, but that's very normal for me.

I CAN tell you this, though... Yeas ago, BEFORE using, I went about a little over a year with no cycle, and never contacted a doctor... When I finally got it back I thought I was dying. It was disgusting so I won't go into detail. I called my doctor at this point, and the moment I told them how long it was since I recieved a cycle, they IMMEDIATELY told me to come in, and were VERY alarmed. From this experience I HAVE had, I would suggest that you definitely call your doctor as soon as you can if that is an option for you.

Oh I might also add, they can give you medication to help you start your cycle again, and also to keep it regular! Good luck

Can confirm thst my periods became more irregular/skipped/late from heroin use. Lots of people say,"Oh, it's from being underweight and malnutrition." Which I'm sure is part of the problem for some. However, I'm not currently underweight. I eat decently. Not super duper healthy as it's expensive but I do cook myself and make sure each dinner has protein, veggies, and a carbohydrate.

So that's not all it is.

I am not sure how harmful this is. Though I do worry, since, for example, after menopause, your risk of bone problems rises. So I do wonder if there is a similar risk. I know post menopause isn't exactly the same as what we are experiencing but I can't help but wonder if there are similar effects.

Then again, doctors put women on carcinogenic birth control pills to stop periods all the time, so...

Bottom line...if this is truly something thsts important enough to you, you will find a way to quit. I'm not saying it's easy. It sure isn't.

Maybe try tapering down slowly, see if you can get your use down low enough to where your cycle improves.

If you want better info, asking a professional is the way to go.

You could try to find research papers online about this issue, too. It is seemingly not an uncommon thing for female users to experience.

Good luck to you on your journey, hon.

Peace.

my gf has been addicted to opiates for a few years - yep, the periods stopped a few months in. she looks at it as a blessing though as she used to be incapacitated for 3 days out of the month while on the rag.

With men I know there are substantially decrease of testosterone when we're on opiates for a while.
I suggest you seek for medical assistance. It's important that you'd be examined accordingly IMO.

Honaaaay, let me ease your mind.
Me- i was a dope fiend 7 years. Never a period. Age 16-28 (some of that was me getting sober years)- no periods. Nada. Even sober!! Now, I'm 30, I just got mine back regular after 7 years sober.
I promise it'll come back. It may take a long time, but it will.
Being a healthcare professional now, I must MUST tell you that you still gotta use any form of birth control. You can absolutely still ovulate (drop eggs to be fertilized) without menstruation. And, it is not necessarily unhealthy not to bleed a long time, it just kinda makes you feel less feminine and ...well... Like a girl. When your body is healthy again, whenever you decide, the odds are in your favor for your period making a comeback appearance when you least expect it and have zero tampons with you. Take care!

Thanks for the replys, We're trying to quit now with bupe, once we're off it she'll go to the docs. She won't go while addicted becouse the docs will pretty much never take her seriously again, blaming everything on drug problems.

Just my own current personal experience.

In trying to quit opiates/opioids, I've cut back consumption by about 80%within a few weeks, and bam! Here's my period, with a vengeance. They had been skipping and irregular. My body seems to be taking advantage of my decreased consumption by slamming me with a heavy period. Hooray.

Peace.

I've been using crystal for 7 years and not once has my menstrual cycle stopped, even when I was hardly eating and regularly staying up for 3+ days. It almost seems like instead of stopping the menstrual cycle it intensifies it, like super heavy periods that last for a week sometimes, and I can get pregnant very easily from just 1 night of unprotected sex so I either have to be on birth control, use condoms which I hate, or take a chance with the "pulling out" method. I also get really bad PMS that's sometimes hard to control, like anything that bothers me at all makes me erupt with rage. A couple times I got my period TWICE in 1 month and a few months ago I had a period that lasted for like 15 fucking days. I know it's not really healthy but I would be so happy if my menstrual cycle stopped because it would be so convenient to not have to deal with the bleeding, cramps, bloated stomach, PMS, and all that bullshit over and over every month.