• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opiate Hallucinations?

Anorak

Bluelighter
Well, I just downed 70mg of Promethazane with codeine in it, and rather than just the plain euphoric feeling I was expecting, I also got some hallicinations. I got a lot of the secondary effects of an opiod, the itching, the tiredness, but i never really peaked. Instead of having a rush of euphora, i got some weak CEV's (no color, but lots of ragged whitish/grayish things moving around) and heard stuff. I was wondering if anyone else ever got this, and if it was from another active ingredient in the Prometh (something a long the lines of DXM perhaps?) or just because of the realatively weak dose of it that I took. Thanks in advance.

My friend said he had a bunch of hallucinations when he took an opiate. Can't remember what he saw or took, but it CAN happen.
edit: "saw" mispelled
[ 03 March 2003: Message edited by: EvMan717 ]

I don't know about opiate hallucinations, but IV meperidine ("Demerol" brand name; synthetic narcotic) will flat ass make me see things. My friends have reported similar experiences.

you get high off of Promethazine? Were they placebo halllucinations, because I always see shit when I close my eyes.

Some of them were placebo, but i think some of it was a dream, cause I was very tired. At first, coming up, i think they were placebo, but around halfway through it, i wrote this off as a dream, i saw this beautiful naturescape, with lots of trees,and a waterfall. But I definitly heard stuff. I heard voices, and I can't for the life of me remember what they said, and I wish I had written it down. but it was mostly a mans voice. And on the comedown (after I posted this) I had an odd ringing in my ears, and then it changed to a rustling noise, then it seemed as if they were super sensitive, and I could swear I heard things like the air in the pipes.(I can only hear that when i have the heat/ac on full blast, which I didn't). But thanks, I wanted to see if I was the only one who got this reaction or not.

hallucinations are a possible effect of opiate use; many would describe it as a "waking dream" - it tends to be something that disappears as tolerance rises, although its possible that with a big enough dose the effect could be experienced regularly.
one of the best drug experiences i have ever had was after consuming a lot of Rikodeine (Dihydrocodeine Tartrate) on a 12 hour bus trip between Melbourne & Sydney.
The "dream" was heavily influenced by external factors, but at one stage the bus arrived at a "haunted House" like mansion.
A lot of the 18th & 19th century romantics report extensively on their opiate hallucinations, De Quincey most notably. erowid has some useful links from their heroin section to explore, relating to this issue.
Enjoy them while you can....
[ 04 March 2003: Message edited by: mibrane ]

heavy hydrocodone/oxycodone use almost always brings about full-screen (computer nerd here) open eye visuals. I'll have like blobs of different colors with distinct different textures overlaying my entire vision of the world. I'd certainly call that a hallucinations...
[ 04 March 2003: Message edited by: Merlin744 ]

how is it so possible for morphine to induce hallucinations? or is it really just a pseudo hallucination, caused from eyes wiggling or watering, like one experiences when on MDMA?
this is interesting to explore because morphine is, after all, named after Morpheus, the Greek god of dreams.

I once sat with my father in a hospital, where he was hooked up to a morphine drip (barely conscious) after facing sever surgery. He spent a long time talking to who he said was "his family", although no one was in the room, and repeatedly mistook me for my brother, although we don't look alike.
Every once in a while he would cry out for everyone to leave, that he was scared he would die in front of everyone he knew, but no one was there but me.

I've gotten them from sniffing 430mg of demerol. Demerol was the only one to give me actuall visuals though sniffing it really is a bitch, my friend almost quit after sniffing a pill. It's good it's a painkiller though because after the first pill you sniff it already numb you though you can't tell and when you have another line it just doesn't seem to hurt as much, watch for nose clog. Nasty shit.
[ 05 March 2003: Message edited by: raoulduke ]

Now that I think about it I get opiate visuals in one form or another everytime I nod.

opiate hallucinations are the BEST! everytime i snort enough herion to get high, i end up hearing voices and have weird ass dreams while im still awake.
at first i thought i was becoming a schitzo.. i was literally talking to myself in my head, and everyonce and a while id actually answer my self out loud and then feel like a idiot kuz no one is around me, and im talkin to myself. its quite fun!

Originally posted by mnmshady420:
opiate hallucinations are the BEST! everytime i snort enough herion to get high, i end up hearing voices and have weird ass dreams while im still awake.
at first i thought i was becoming a schitzo.. i was literally talking to myself in my head, and everyonce and a while id actually answer my self out loud and then feel like a idiot kuz no one is around me, and im talkin to myself. its quite fun!

how is this possible to recieve delusions on heroin when it chemically doesn't *seem* to effect the brain that much?

I dont know, i was wondering the same thing, but its the god honest truth.
and its not just me... everyone i do it with, and they all just snort it, Experiences the same thing as i do. and when i look at this topic and all its replies, it seems we are not the only ones.

A friend of mine had hydromorphone in the hospital after surgery, and she swears she had hallucinations under the effect of painkillers.

Cyclorphan which is an antagonist is said to be hallucinogenic, also the stronger of the benzomorphans Cyclazocine is a strong hallucinogenic, so it is possible for many opiods/opiates to cause hallucinations.

Isn't salvinorin-a, the active compound in salvia divinorum the sort of opiate agonist which causes hallucinations? (meaning it is only active at the receptor site responsable for hallucinations... either mu, delta, or kappa... kappa, I think.)
Is a salvia trip like morphine hallucinations?

i've watched some good films on TV in my bedroom whilst being very stoned, except for the fact I have no telly in my bedroom.