• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiate drug holiday

Melena

Greenlighter
What are ppls thoughts on lengths of drug holidays? A week? A month?
-Melena

Opiate tolerance rises and falls pretty quickly. I would suggest a couple weeks. And be sure to be careful when dosing at the end.

Drug holidays? For using opiods none.... Maybe smoking opium at the end of a roll or trip, which really helps with physical tension associated with comedowns while I also find it aids sleep well of course with consideration for possible respiratory depression. That shouldn't be more than once a month I'd say and even that's pushing it where every 3-6 months would be a safer range to rest in.

Opiods are not something to be fucked with nor should opiates and they should all be used with respect. I found opium to be one of the most spiritual compounds and I wish I had a few grams rather than one so I could've got an opium style pipe and smoked it right. I bet those essential vapes they used back in the day would be legit too

Melena--the meaning of words continues to haunt you!

As some people know, "holiday" means different things for Americans and Not Americans. As an American, the first thing I think when I hear "Drug Holiday" is a special day celebrating drugs, where you do a whole lot of them. I like that idea, and agree with taco, they should happen once a month.

For Not Americans, "holiday" means what Americans call "vacations". So, that "Drug Holiday" is the opposite meaning: a number of days where you don't do drugs.

You should stick to un-official Bluelight terminology, melena, and go with "Tolerance Break" that everybody has a rough understanding about.

How Long, for a tolerance break, is always, as long as possible. Or, the longer the better. For opiates, I'll let the regular opiate users weigh in.

Unless I have it all wrong too? What are we talking about, Melena?

What scrofula said lol

Last edited:
Sorry- tolerance break. New to all of this and no one to ask. Why i am on bluelight, really.

Depends on the opioid and half life if you're just trying to get your tolerance down if your goal is not too end daily use. Usually 5 days or longer depending on the compound

What are ppls thoughts on lengths of drug holidays? A week? A month?
-Melena

My go to rule of thumb for opiate tolerance break is, take a week off and see if you can complete that. If you find yourself in dependency, taper 10% off weekly.
Cold turkey is to be avoided as long as your provisions last.
If you are honest with yourself you have nothing to fear of addiction.
Sure you might withdraw for a few days, however if you are positive, honest and forgiving with yourself you'll spare yourself the guilt and psychological relapse.
Best,
Tez

What are ppls thoughts of recreational opiate use, say on the weekends? Possible? Ok, anything can be possible. Probable?

What are ppls thoughts of recreational opiate use, say on the weekends? Possible? Ok, anything can be possible. Probable?

That's the ideal situation.

To be honest, that's what most of us who ended up as addicts had in mind when we started dabbling. And many of us were successful at it. For a while...

It depends on your situation? Are you already a heavy user? If so, the "weekends only" rule won't last long, as most of us here would probably attest to. Not saying it can't be done. But it's difficult.

Are you more of a novice user? Than yeah, you can start that way, weekends only.

Everyone can do it for a while.. some last longer than others. But eventually that weekend turns into Friday night, then why the hell can't Friday afternoon be included? And then, "well fuck, I mean Thursday night is kind of like an early start to my early weekend, am I right?"

I'm not trying to be pessimistic here. I wish you luck. I just want to give you a realistic expectation. Every addict I've known started with a goal of weekends only, or some type of similar rule.

To answer your question. Is it possible? Of course. Is it probale? No, not really. With other drugs, maybe. With opiates/opioids? That's a different story.

What is considered heavy use? Codeine, hydrocodone, and oxycodone are DOC (due to availability); doing CWE to avoid the tylenol.

Why risk it? When you can see that opiates are addictive. why chance it by doing it weekends.

"Heavy use" is tricky. It's just like drinking: just because some guys can put away a fifth of liquor every night, doesn't mean the kindergarten teacher can keep a flask in her desk.

Tolerance breaks aren't necessarily only for heavy users. They're a good idea for everyone--low tolerance will save you drugs and money, be less dangerous for your health, and delay addiction (for a while).

In that sense, you would know you could use one if you're obviously using more than you used to. A stronger sign is if you've ever experienced withdrawals. Even if you (think) you have a strong will to resist cravings, withdrawal, or even just the fear of withdrawal, drives a lot of people to keep using. Which makes any future, inevitable withdrawal that much more painful, and a nasty addiction begins.

So don't think of it in terms of absolute, gram to milligram to pill use, watch your behavior and how you feel in the mornings. That will tell you how far down the road you've gone, and how badly you could use a break.

But it's not like a tolerance break is gonna hurt you, even if your use is miniscule. Keep it drugs as something to look forward to. Probably every user who develops a habit comes to resent their DOC, and view constant re-upping as a chore. Try to avoid that while you can.

ETA: midwest USA? Why did I think you were a UK resident?
Tylenol v. Paracetemol should've clued me in.

Last edited:
Why risk it? When you can see that opiates are addictive. why chance it by doing it weekends.

The same is true for alcohol, though. Lots of people manage to keep it weekends-only, some can even use it every day. And it has just as much addiction potential as Vicodin.

Not that that's a reason to do either one every weekend.

A drug holiday to me would be going abroad and experimenting with as many local drugs as possible. Not harm reduction just the truth!