• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

(Opi Withdrawal) what is the best comfort meds for opiate w/d?

scuba0095

Bluelighter
hey so what helps people entering opiate w/d? in peoples past experiences?

I dont have any oxy btw for days. THE BENZO is strongest but my dr said NO NO NO NO because he said i will suffer big time if i continue to use it and he said the w/d from the benzo will make the opiate w/d look like it is cake walk. I believe my shrink so i do not consider it a real comfort drug so i did not include this I know many of you pick it tho first.

you guys are experts? Been through hell and back at least 100 times :p <3

disgusting t3 sucks and makes you sick

I have something called xuan xia it is very strong but no one knows how safe it is. It does work but not sure if it is worth the risk. Some very smart people might know about it. But its hard to find them. Online I have never met a guy that knew exactly the ingredients so I am not sure if it is worth taking for anyone. So it is not a contender or is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
OH and no kratom since kratom extract is an opiate! that is what many could be including myself w/d from!!!!! So what has helped u (L)

Are you detoxing from opiates? If you are i would suggesting purchasing Loperamide (Imodium).

Loperamide (Imodium) does act well as a suboxone substitute. When withdrawals begin to hit take 10-12mgs to start and wait 4 hours, if you are still experiencing WDs take another 10-12mgs, repeat again in 4hours~. Don't exceed more than 40mgs/day.

Loperamide works as an opioid-receptor agonist and acts on the μ-opioid receptors just as suboxone and other opiates(oids). It has limitations with crossing the BBB (blood brain barrier) thus restricting you from getting a buzz/high but it does work similar to suboxone at fulfilling the receptors need for the drug.

Goodluck Trust me.

This should not be used as a long term substitute to suboxone. It should be used to get you through the initial withdrawal period only.

I wholly agree with stardust.hero regarding loperamide. Really can't stress its importance enough; it is in the 'miracle drug' territory. When I had opiate withdrawals I relied on it as my daily supplement (3-4 times a day, as needed really, no risk in taking a dozen a day AFAIK), with sporadic use of diazepam (benzo) and mirtazapine (antidepressant, used to aid me sleep greatly). Both my withdrawals from opiates followed month-long binges (the first one after a month of insufflated heroin, after trying H for the first time, the second one after a month of intravenous heroin binging after I injected H for the first time). Seeing how I was breaking a rather short habit, my symptoms were mild to begin with.

On the other hand, my girlfriend, who detoxed both times along with me back in my place, was breaking a 2-3 year opiate habit, which oscillated between periods of heroin insufflating/injection and periods of codeine/promethazine/alcohol syrup (you can get it without prescription here at smaller, family-owned, careless/lax pharmacies. I even got generic clonazepam without a script a couple times). Needless to say, her withdrawals were far worse, and quite a disturbing sight to behold--regular, intense muscle spasms, both awake and while sleeping (waking her up), shortness of breath throughout the day (she was constantly gasping for air or feeling asphyxiated), extreme skin sensitivity, hot flashes alternating with shivering and cold sweat, migraines, light sensitivity, etc, etc, etc. When I came across loperamide while researching WD and introduced her to it, the first night she literally cried from the happiness and relief of her legs not shaking restlessly.

Recommended x1000. Get boxes of the stuff. Or the family-sized syrup presentation for sipping through the day.

It no doubt works almost as well as suboxone in my opinion. The first dose generally doesn't do the job completely but you really shouldn't take a double dose initially, but the 2nd dose of it really is where it actually fully starts to work I've found. Don't give up on it. It really does work 100%.

loperamide?? is this a joke??? all it does is control your bowls why on earth you guys talking about it like it is going to solve the mental pain?

Didn't you read my post? It is a opioid-receptor agonist and acts on the μ-opioid receptors just as suboxone and other opiates(oids). Since it binds to the same receptors it works at satisfying the receptors and staving off the physical and mental pains involved with withdrawals.

No it's not a joke, we don't waste our time posting helpful information to people asking serious questions if it's a joke.

I really hate the fact that when I mention this method to people who use opiates and are looking to avoid the withdrawals they completely disregard this information because they think in their mind it's a medication made for bowel problems only and couldn't possibly work for withdrawals simply because it's labeled as a medication for another issue and because it's OTC.

Originally it was created as a pain management drug but they found it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier enough to create significant results. They did however find it worked wonders as an antidiarrhea medication. It still retains it's opioid receptor agonist properties.

Last edited:
Yes..it drives me crazy when people are ignorant of the fact or uneducated about loperamide and then blow it off. I have a neighbor who puts herself through hell because since it not a "scheduled" drug she just doesn't believe it and doesn't bother. (Personally when I am that sick I would be willing to try anything to make me feel better!) The one time I did talk her into it she took 4 or 5 then convinced herself it wasn't working and just kept on complaining about being sick. Even as a nurse I tried to explain to her the logistics behind it but she wasn't having any of it...so my opinion is if people don't want to give it a legit try or believe in it then I suppose they will continue to suffer..

Good gosh, its only all over the internet these days...

Exactly, it works, plain and simple. The chemistry of it will tell you it works, and actually taking it will prove it. Honestly I can convince myself right now I'm in opiate withdrawal and I'm not. It's all about trusting and understanding the medication. Placebo works both ways, you can make yourself believe you're having negative symptoms as well as making yourself believe something is working. However Loperamide is not a placebo pill, It actually does fulfill the opioid receptors.

I honestly don't have any other drug I can name other than that to help eliminate withdrawals. If you want to suffer because you don't believe it works then by all means, but Loperamide works for eliminating the majority of opioid withdrawals.

you guys are experts? Been through hell and back at least 100 times :p <3

You said we were the experts, we have 3 people in this thread telling you Loperamide will help you. I don't know how much more convincing you'll need.

Last edited:
Yes..it drives me crazy when people are ignorant of the fact or uneducated about loperamide and then blow it off. I have a neighbor who puts herself through hell because since it not a "scheduled" drug she just doesn't believe it and doesn't bother. (Personally when I am that sick I would be willing to try anything to make me feel better!) The one time I did talk her into it she took 4 or 5 then convinced herself it wasn't working and just kept on complaining about being sick. Even as a nurse I tried to explain to her the logistics behind it but she wasn't having any of it...so my opinion is if people don't want to give it a legit try or believe in it then I suppose they will continue to suffer..

Good gosh, its only all over the internet these days...

Now listen here, I have taken it before but it never did anything mentally for me for opiate w/d. Maybe I didn't take enough. Does it help with the depression part?

Now listen here, I have taken it before but it never did anything mentally for me for opiate w/d. Maybe I didn't take enough. Does it help with the depression part?

Its better than nothing for the depression. The thing about depression is that it's a lot worse when you are in sever physical pain as well.

Lope is a w/d godsend. I will use it whenever I come off this god forsaken methadone.

OH and no kratom since kratom extract is an opiate! that is what many could be including myself w/d from!!!!! So what has helped u (L)

It's an opioid not an opiate. Touch of same firm different branch yes. But still, if you are w/d from opiates, Kratom won't cover your arse that much, indeed if at all..:\

First of all, the aggressive tone you're taking isn't going to help your cause.

Second, Loperamide will help with immediate withdrawal symptoms. You will still experience most of the PAWS associated with opioids. It's not a magical cure. You took a serious drug that alters your brain in a major way. In return without that drug your brain will be severely lacking until in time it evens itself back out. There really isn't a magic cure all for opiates, if there was, tapering/maintenance drugs (such as suboxone and methadone) and long term drug habits wouldn't exist. Loperamide will help tone down the symptoms, it works quite well at it, but in the end you will still be withdrawing from opioids.

Generally when someone is in opiate withdrawal they will take anything that will alleviate or tone down the symptoms. Loperamide will do this.

I think the loperamide is not a good choice.. yes it works but kinda just how taking an opiat would.. but as i have never used it myself I will have to go with what I have seen with people detoxing on BL..

loperamide may be a good option for someone with a short and small habit or someone who is just going to get a little sick. But I can not think of anyone i've seen On blue light that is detoxing from a decent habit that has expired anything good from this approach, uther that a moment's respite from the detox and a free sorry return start or return to allot nearer the begining of the acute detox. On a couple of occasions we have had two people go into detox from very similar habits.. and it so hard to watch the one who tries to beat the withdrawal with an opiat antagonists still having acutes weeks and weeks after the the person who chose not to has made a full recovery from the acutes.

Also it is really common for people just to switch their dependence over to the lope and there are plenty of threads showing this. IMO there isn't any way to beet the withdraws except maybe the ibogaine and people who look for some relief in any sorta opiate antagonist end up paying dearly for that relief. i think it much better for an active user to use to prevent or lessen their withdrawal until the return of their DOC.

The medications I would explore the use of would be

>Clonidine< DOSED EVER FOUR HOURS..

one of either
>NEURONTIN< >HERE< >HERE<
OR >Lyrica<

>A BENZO BUT JUST AT NIGHT<
>a nsaid<
>melatonin<
tylenol

also your physician should be able to give you a short supply of benzos for use at night with the understanding that they aren't going to give you any more. hey and you pretty fiery ther scuba.. I like that but maybe direct it at your addiction and not your support... but it will definitely be something to address for a much nicer ride through the paws.. as if your responses are that large now.. wow, the paws will increase the exponentially. You can do this<3 .. when are you detoxing fiery one?;)

Last edited:
loperamide?? is this a joke??? all it does is control your bowls why on earth you guys talking about it like it is going to solve the mental pain?

....what?? lol.

why sooooO intense?? shit..

"seems" like you know what's up... .. so whats up?

depression go to your doctor and get some Welbutrin best anti d for PAWS from opiate/opioid dependency. maybe change up some aspects of your lifestyle and outlooks; diet, exercise, vitamins, people your around and so on.

best of luck.. .

I remember my thoughts when I first learned this.. holy shit all those times I was sick and all i had to do was go to the pharmacy and get some lope and i would have felt words better.. I Thought what the fuck why doesn't every junkie know this?

I don't remember actual dosages, but if loperamide did not help you, you did not take enough.

My girlfriend popped 2 loperamide pills (2mg each? I really don't remember) and found them to do next to nothing. I researched and found them to be safe in large amounts, so I suggested she double her dose, and later that day to double it again. She wound up taking 16-24 pills a day, 4-8 at a time. But at that dosage, it was truly godsend.

Just to mention again in the spirit of HR, don't forget quidamsoul, as a few others mentioned, have her be careful with the high and continuing dosages of loperamide. It is very easy to switch your dependence to it from the one you started with. And just so it is mentioned, in very high continuing doses, lope can be toxic.

Just to mention again in the spirit of HR, don't forget quidamsoul, as a few others mentioned, have her be careful with the high and continuing dosages of loperamide. It is very easy to switch your dependence to it from the one you started with. And just so it is mentioned, in very high continuing doses, lope can be toxic.
Hi missme! I hv a very quick question, tomorrow 10/10/13 is my last day using opiates...so starting friday morning - it will be my first day of withdrawals. If I take immodium in high doses is it just going to postpone the acute phase my withdrawal like suboxone? Or will I actually be reducing the sx but still detoxing?! Help ( and thank you for ur reply to my first ever post ) maybe you remember, we are both R.N.s ??and I have a 5 dayoff stretch starting Friday... best time! I fig. Thanks again! JENNG