• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opana tolerance

swaxxerjr

Greenlighter
Hey, so a little backstory. I am 25 with late-stage lyme disease. Among other symptoms is pretty bad chronic muscle and joint pain. I was prescribed 5 mgs 90x every 8 hours as needed oxymorphone and have a few questions. I have used opioids in the past for recreational reasons but am not going to with these. I only have an interest in pain control and nothing else. So, here are the questions,

1. If I take these as prescribed will I get addicted? As in will I suffer horrible withdrawals when I run out, or if I was to be cut off?
2. I have a tolerance so what I'm prescribed taken orally doesn't do as much as it originally would. I still feel it but feel it more if I snort. Is that a bad idea?
3. If I have 2 pills taken orally at a BA of 10% versus snorting 1 (more economical) at a BA of 40-60% does the snorting have some mechanism that actually raises tolerance quicker? I feel like I've felt that happen.

These are the small, easily crushable blue pills by the way. I am fairly sure they are ER but not 100%. Thanks for any replies.

If you use daily for 3-4 weeks you will feel a withdrawal. Not a horrendous life-destroying withdrawal, but nonetheless something bitter and unpleasant--bearable though for sure. As far as addiction goes, the statistic is usually that patients on pain medication for longer than 3 weeks are much more prone to becoming addicted to the substance.

I'm not sure how long your doctor intends to put you on these pills, but if you absolutely need them to function for the time being then it might be fine to bite the bullet and medicate with opiates anyway despite the potential consequences. I can't imagine this turning into a life-long struggle of opiate addiction if you use them as prescribed and don't over-indulge yourself by raising the dosage occasionally on your own. But proceed with caution, even though you are using them for medical purposes and with supervision they do feel great.

Wish I knew more about the other q's. Others can provide better info!

I came off of 20 mg Oxymorphone ER/day after many months of use in 10 days using 120 oxycodone 5/325 tablets.

Snorting them will in a short time mess up your tolerance. The withdrawals will be different also. My anxiety was a bit higher, but I was completely tapered in ten days.

So reasionably, first get the side effect / withdrawl stuff out of your head. That is what messes up a fairly simple withdrawal process.

Cannabis helped withdrawals also. YMMV. If you have to come off them, at the minimum, quit snorting them.

That medicine is pretty smooth. Go balls out and you can be off in as short as a month of tapering at a realistic but easy pace.

If you have been abusing them or are really used to them right now, you may need to ask your doctor for a medicine like oxycodone to help you taper. It worked just great for me.