• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids On sub taper for Methadone withdrawal and have a question

sherlock14

Greenlighter
I'm on a 21 day taper started 6 days after discontinuation of 30mg Methadone for 4 years. I'm 4 days into the taper, 10 days off Methadone. I've taken 4mg a day for the past 4 days(including today)and will be tapering down to .25 and then off, over around the next week and a half to 2 weeks. why does using a short taper of it cause you to be able to stop using it with much reduced symptoms of withdrawal when it's over than you would have had having never used buprenorphine. Why does it work as an opiate detox when it itself is an opiate? Or am I completely wrong and doing this taper basically wasted me going 6 days cold turkey and it's gonna be hell again when the taper is over. I know Methadone causes issues for awhile and I'm expecting some discomfort...but I'm hoping doing this taper will cause the withdrawal afterward to be minimal. Any experience or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
(This is under the care of my doctor. I tried tapering further off of the Methadone but i was having ALOT of trouble so the doc recommended this as a secondary option. I started at 100mg of methadone and tapered down to 30 over about a yr and a half)

Idk what the exact question is but I can tell you that buprenorphine is a partial agonist so that might make things a little easier compared to tapering off of Methadone.

I don't have any experience with that so I'm not entirely sure.

If jumping off Methadone too quickly causes problems, consider that the same will be true for Bupe.
Some people have success doing quick tapers with Bupe, so I don't want to disrespect or invalidate their experience. Just keep in mind that you are dependent on Opioids, so jumping off quick likely won't alleviate any wd symptoms compared to a slow taper.

If jumping off Methadone too quickly causes problems, consider that the same will be true for Bupe.
Some people have success doing quick tapers with Bupe, so I don't want to disrespect or invalidate their experience. Just keep in mind that you are dependent on Opioids, so jumping off quick likely won't alleviate any wd symptoms compared to a slow taper.
Sorry to jump on this post i know it's old but I'm tapering methadone currently down at 10ml from 90ml.. honestly haven't found it difficult until I get to 6ml hence why I'm back at 10ml which I'm wanting to still decrease and get down to nothing I was tapering at every 2 weeks down 5ml and it worked for me however wd is looming I can't switch to subs because I have awful ptsd from sub withdrawal so going to try tough this out however never been through methadone wd I know it may be longer but any idea how I should taper now I'm this low to make it more comfortable? I'm not getting much support from my drug worker she gives up when I start withdrawing and ups my dose which isn't my end goal. I have other posts with more detail but can't seem to get any advice. Any advice appreciated

@Caraax0 Lower your dose by 1mg every 3-4 weeks before attempting to lower it again. If you want to get completely off it your going to have to suffer a bit especially once you get to only 1mg daily stay at that for awhile before jumping off completely and getting post acute withdrawal symptoms. You should be able to get a prescription for clonidine to help with sleep & few other withdrawal symptoms.

Yeah well done for gettnto 10ml mate!

You just need to slow it down as the above poster said, 1ml per month sounds good.

Have you asked about comfort meds the doc can prescribe for when you're right down, like pregabalin (lifesaver), diazepam and zopiclone.

@Caraax0 Lower your dose by 1mg every 3-4 weeks before attempting to lower it again. If you want to get completely off it your going to have to suffer a bit especially once you get to only 1mg daily stay at that for awhile before jumping off completely and getting post acute withdrawal symptoms. You should be able to get a prescription for clonidine to help with sleep & few other withdrawal symptoms.
Thankyou so much I'm struggling to get any advice from anyone really about what to expect I have a good idea because I obviously went through sub wd many yrs ago but as awful as it was it was only 12 days physical the rest was all mental after that but I just won't go there again. I keep meaning to go see my Dr about comfort meds but worried they won't take me seriously till I'm at a lower dose I just know when I'm in full blown wd I won't be able to explain myself correctly so would rather see a Dr in advance to get some advice. I even discussed with my drug worker I just need something for the restless legs and I can deal with the rest but they refuse to add in any extra meds when I'm starting to withdraw and I kept getting put back to 10ml when I got as low as 5ml but she said I maybe need to take it more steady now as I have been on a fairly rapid reduction over the past Yr.. I was just wanting to keep the momentum going whilst my heads in the right place for it and didn't want to prolong suffering by being on this any much longer. Its been 2 years I've been on it now I know people have been on way longer but for me it's not what I want. Thankyou again

Yeah well done for gettnto 10ml mate!

You just need to slow it down as the above poster said, 1ml per month sounds good.

Have you asked about comfort meds the doc can prescribe for when you're right down, like pregabalin (lifesaver), diazepam and zopiclone.
Thankyou so much! I was surprised how easy I've found it bar the odd restless feelings I get randomly but I do struggle any Lower. I'm going to definitely speak with my Dr about comfort meds I couldn't possibly do a withdrawal again without. I've so many bad memories of previous withdrawal years ago with no meds to help and it was horrendous. This forum was all I had in terms of support being able to read everyday and see there would be an end to it all eventually. I just hope I can be taken seriously by my Dr and the drug worker is trying to fob me off and tell me what I'm experiencing wd wise is fairly rare which is absolute bullshit just not enough people talk about it. I need to make an appointment in advance so I can articulate myself well because when I'm in full blown wd I won't be able to think clearly enough to get the help. Thankyou for your response

If you can only get one thing, get pregabalin. Something to sleep is a good ideas too, but if you take the pregabalin for a week or 2 that will help see you through the withdrawal after you jump off. You should not use the pregabalin any longer than 2 weeks as it has its own withdrawal.

@F.U.B.A.R. may be able to give some tips as he's been off the jollop ages now. What country you in OP?

Gabapentin and pregab are amazing wd aids. Coming down from a big fent run they took almost all the wd away until I could induct subs again

If you can only get one thing, get pregabalin. Something to sleep is a good ideas too, but if you take the pregabalin for a week or 2 that will help see you through the withdrawal after you jump off. You should not use the pregabalin any longer than 2 weeks as it has its own withdrawal.

@F.U.B.A.R. may be able to give some tips as he's been off the jollop ages now. What country you in OP?
I will ask about that I'm in the UK. I've always been too anxious to even ask the Dr for help incase they judge and turn me away but there's so much they can give now for restless legs etc even none addictive options I just hope they can help.