• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Official FIFA World Cup 2006 IS HERE!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shnouzerpuff said:
However I am putting my cash on France. Literally. $20 on them to win by 90mins.

Good on you mate.....nothing like a supportive bet to as Homer Simpson agreed, "make a good thing even better". I put 50 bucks against France actually, in their match with Brazil, in the attempt to try and make some cash by betting with the odds. Bad idea obviously :p

Anyway...good game, man....I wouldn't wanna meet Zidane in a dark alley, which is where I would most likely find him if I went to France, after that.

I wanna find out what it was....sledging taken to a whole new level? I speculated that it would have had to been something about his wife and children of which he has 4....either that or something slanderous to his religion...or as was said, a racist remark, though I figure racist remarks would be typical of sledging and therefore not enough to sway Zidane.

Anyway, insane. Personally being still aggrieved I would tend to say I think France DESERVED to win...they played well I thought even with 10 men and without play makers such as Vierra,Henry, Zidane and the talented Ribery. So I don't think they were all about Zidane though the match certainly was.

But there you go....Italy beat Australia my homeland favourite, Germany my half-blood roots, and now France who impressed me in their wins over Spain, Brazil and subsequent games, especially after the French media were on them about not playing well enough.

The replay will definately be worth a watch for those who had lives and thus didn't catch the early one :p

mymymymysharona said:
ZIDANE, ZIDANE, HOW CAN YOU BE SOOOO DUMB????!!!?

oh man.. i am DYING to know what Materazzi (?) said to him to piss him off so.... a racist remark apparently...

but damn.. bad way to go..

True dat.
He looked like he was gonna throw a hook.

Heads are for balls,
not people.

Shame.

Still.

=D =D =D

A few quotes to sum it up from my perspective

"There was a lot of verbals going on. It takes a lot to upset Zinedine Zidane but he shouldn't have reacted the way he did."
Chris Waddle, BBC Five Live Sport

“The referee was not on our side. I don’t know what Materazzi told Zidane – all I know was the man of the match was not Andrea Pirlo but Materazzi, he scored the equaliser and he had Zidane sent off.

“It’s sad, it’s a pity. He [Materazzi] really put on a great show when he fell down – we know how these things work.”

Raymond Domenech, French Coach

Sadly, the occasion was scarred by the shameful end to Zidane's glittering career. Incensed by Materazzi's initial shirt-pulling and then the defender's constant carping, Zidane ran past the Italian turned, and charged head-first into Materazzi's chest.

Horacio Elizondo, the Argentine who dismissed Wayne Rooney in Gelsenkirchen, initially appeared not have noticed the offence, but Gianluigi Buffon had and screamed for sanction. France's coach, Raymond Domenech, acted the rolling of a camera to signal theatrics by Materazzi.

Italy's coach, Marcello Lippi, was enraged by Domenech's antics and had to be restrained from reaching his rival's dug-out. Over on the bench, Patrick Vieira also had to be stopped by Thierry Henry from remonstrating with officials and Italians. As the bonfire of the profanities raged, the fourth official pointed out to Elizondo the nature of the misdemeanour by Zidane, who had started so magnificently.

http://wc2006.telegraph.co.uk/Document.aspx?id=DB67658F-0F34-40CC-8F33-6978F576CE29

Soccer can be cruel. It was cruel tonight. To France and to its greatest player, Zinédine Zidane, who left the field in disgrace minutes before the end of a match won by Italy on pen- alties.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/07/09/sports/web0709victory.php

Painful in a way, but I'm happy for those who supported Italy, because I see them as happy as I would be had the other team won, or had Australia not gone down to the Italians.

talk about Brain Explosion...

did it cost france the game? i think it did, he was controlling the midfield by himself... and to the fact that he was one of the only big named players left out there for them, it was something they really couldnt afford with Viera, Henry and that little fella Rieby (sp?) off the field.

Im guessing Trezguet will be distrort for a few days... but o well, thats the way the cookie crumbles :/

and as everyone else mentioned, i would love to hear what was said.

You know i have to come in say sorry for bagging soccer. I watched my 1st ever soccer game (the france vs portugal) with mates and was learning all about the whole world cup thing. I was even saying "come on portugal, just one goal" near the end and getting quite into it. Even though that game itself was kinda boring (just cos only one goal was scored etc) I got into the spirit of it that it was a world wide thing and even was bummed when i missed the last game and pissed that italy won cos i knew they won unfairly and kicked oz out. I'm looking forward to the next world cup and saying that i'm not a sports fan is an understatement so i just wanted to come in the thread and apologise for being a bad sport and not understanding the whole world cup thing without actually giving it a go =D

^^^
watch the english premier league when it starts back up in august if you can (foxtel only). if you don't dig football after watching a game or two in this league then you never will.

true dat^^

I can't believe there are so many people who can take so much out of a game that actively encourages cheating, it's really quite sad...

silvia saint said:
^^^
watch the english premier league when it starts back up in august if you can (foxtel only). if you don't dig football after watching a game or two in this league then you never will.

You're talking about soccer still right? I know that soccer is called football everywhere but australia it seems but am just checking! (even though it's probably obvious and it is a soccer thread :p)

So what happens now then seeing as the world cup is only once every 4 years? The english premier leauge is like soccer heats or something? and the teams that win out of that play in the world cup? So over the next four years there will be lots of games that will lead to who will play? I know this is probably a dumb question but i'm learning and trying not to be ignorant (as i was told i was in this thread) ;)

and what did that one guy do to the other guy to get that violent head butt? 8o

ohhhhhhhhh and some of them soccer players are damn fine to look at too. Shirts off i say!! =D

xcidium said:
I heard the winning team gets like $30 mill.
Anyone got any info on that or have I been fed lies?

If not, how much did Australia get?

i heard something like $9 mil... but the coach himself gets like $850, 000 i think.. and the winners get like $39, $40mil.

pete_gasparino said:
Anyway, insane. Personally being still aggrieved I would tend to say I think France DESERVED to win

So, how biased can you get? Italy simply was the better side, period.

^^ yeh but you can appreciate talent when you see it, too... ie. France had most posession etc.

is there a vid out there with the headbutt yet?

Blowmonkey said:
So, how biased can you get? Italy simply was the better side, period.

No kidding, of course I'm biased. Of course deriving from that bias, period or no period is my belief that France played better in the second half and the extra time despite not playing well enough to score. As for deservedness - I guess it might come from your perception of who was the better side. I am annoyed about a bunch of things the Italians have done during this world cup. So yeah, I am biased.

And deservedness extended -

Materazzi Compilation Video

Did Materazzi the "animal" and "delinquent" (or so he has been labelled according to our video and accompanying news website URL) deserve a headbutt? Who knows what he said?

I guess it was stupid of Zidane, in fact it was. I've heard different things from a number of sources, some of them dubious. One said that Materazzi had commented on Zidane's wife, saying something to the effect of that he would or had sexually assaulted her. Another said Zidane was tired of Materazzi's 'nipple-twisting' and shirt grabbing, and a final comment set him off. Others have suggested slurs against his race or against Islam.

I could see him cracking about the former two, but not about the latter two.

Anyway let's see him cracking again:

zidane8dz.gif

And again:

zidane30kp.gif

And, one last time:

zidane57yk.gif

http://www.ggzidane.com

And I'm not sure if France were ahead in possession but it looked like they were in shots and shots on goal, and ahead generally in the second half and extra time - though not translating into a goal unfortunately. Would have been nice to see a win involving Zidane, maybe not by way of a penalty shootout.

im impressed that he still got the golden ball, a lot of speculation around it, but if you look at his performances during the tournament, i guess he deserved it?

but maybe if FIFA brought in something like the NRL have in place, where if you get suspended (lets say red cards only) you cannot be a valid choice for the golden ball...

with league it is, if you get suspended you cant go in the running for the dally m medal at the end of the year...

I'm incredibly surprised Zidane got the Golden Ball award. But very happy because with the exception of the headbutt he was the most gifted individual (I thought) of the tournament.

There were rumours circulating that the reason Lukas Podolski won the Young Player of the Year award when the votes were heavily on Cristiano Ronaldo was because of the latter's 'wink' to the bench and the way he forcibly ensured Wayne Rooney was sent off in Portugal vs. England game. So again, really surprised that Zidane still got the award after being sent off.

Zizou 'terrorist' slur denied

ITALY defender Marco Materazzi has denied provoking Zinedine Zidane's extraordinary World Cup final head-butt by calling the France captain a "dirty terrorist".

Zidane, the son of Algerian immigrants, was shown a red card after the incident and Italy won on penalties after the match was tied 1-1 following extra-time.

Fox Sports

Let's hope he has something to tell the world in the next few days about what was really said.

John Laws

Awesome!
A new payout!

"Fuck you guys,
you're all Terrorists!"

Or

"Fuck you, you Eu**nasi**ist!"

Last edited:
Thanks mymymymysharona :p

Not my work tho, more on that site

After an exhaustive study of the match video, and with the help of an Italian translator, Rees claimed that Materazzi called Zidane “the son of a terrorist whore” before adding “so just f*** off” for good measure, supporting the natural assumption that the Frenchman must have been grievously insulted.

As the son of two Algerian immigrants, the 34-year-old is proud of his North African roots, dedicating France’s 1998 World Cup win to “all Algerians who are proud of their flag and all those who have made sacrifices for their family but who have never abandoned their own culture”, so such a slur would certainly explain, if not justify, his violent response.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,28783-2263995,00.html

Not sure how speculative that is, I guess the full and accurate story may never be known, or at least not until Zidane conveys what it was that upset him.

Status
Not open for further replies.