• Current Events, Politics
    & Science

Welcome Guest
    Please read before posting:
    Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • CEPS Moderators: cduggles | Deru | mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

US Politics Official 2021 President Biden Thread - If there are no drug users there'd be no appetite for drugs

GodFatherPoppy

Bluelighter
You don't have a right not to wear a mask in public. You don't have a right to travel wherever you like in whatever way you like during a public health emergency. You don't have a right against social distancing or quarantine. You don't have the right to go around infecting people with a highly contagious disease you carry.

These are all measures American governments of the past have used in times of public health emergencies, which used to be more common until medicine improved. But since then we had the cold war and the American mentality has come to think of itself as defined by its freedoms. And people think they have rights to do anything they want and not be told to do even the most sensible of precautionary measures.

Not helped by the fact that most Americans have absolutely no knowledge of their own history. Hell most Americans don't seem to be aware we even have had previous pandemics to face.
But YOUR mask keeps you safe, right c'mon now. If you feel the need to wear on then so be it. Don't force on everyone else that isn't afraid of their own shadow. Masks don't do shit unless it's the n95. Don't force it on other people. You do realize the numbers are super inflated. You have a 99.9 chance of surviving. Yeah let's shut the entire country down for that and kill off a ton of small business. (Small business here. We're doing good tho not really effected by covid lockdown thank god) more people are hurt by that than covid

Not a fan of trump or biden. Trumps constant tweets went too far. I would rather see a 3rd party in office, but on policy alone and not FEELINGS like most of you voted for trump was clearly the better choice. Should of acted more presidential not like a 5 year old. You don't vote on feelings you vote on policy. Go back to your safe space.

Biden is a career politician with a lot of questionable shady deals.

For some of you being so knowledgeable on drugs a ton of you are clueless on politics. Give me small govt and let me live my life how i see fit. We don't need bigger govt

Funny as hell some of the comments. Flame on.....

Last edited:

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
But YOUR mask keeps you safe, right c'mon now. If you feel the need to wear on then so be it. Don't force on everyone else that isn't afraid of their own shadow. Masks don't do shit unless it's the n95. Don't force it on other people.

Untrue. No one was ever saying your mask keeps you safe. Your mask causes less water droplets from your breath and coughs/sneezes from going out into the air, and it keeps other people safer, if everyone wears them. it's common sense. Cough or sneeze into a piece of cloth. Feel all the moisture on it. That would have gone into the air. Since whether you get sick and how sick you get depends on viral load, it's a no-brainer that preventing a large portion of that from going into the air will reduce the chances of someone else getting sick if you have it and aren't showing symptoms yet, or if you're asymptomatic. We've been using masks like this for a long time, and all of a sudden they're ineffective? Just because some people don't feel like wearing them in public?

Serious question, can you explain to me what the big deal is? Why is it such a big deal to you to have to wear a mask when out in public? Are you allergic to masks? Does it make you feel stupid? I get that, I felt stupid for a while too, but it really is not a big deal AT ALL, that's just an ego thing. Are you SO sure you're right, that you're willing to risk a bunch of peoples' wellbeing? The cost to you is so low that you should be willing to do it, even if it turns out that you're right and it makes no difference. I really honestly don't get it and if someone could adequately explain it to me besides "I don't wanna, you can't make me", that would be awesome.

I think some places went too far with lockdowns. You're right, the cost to society shouldn't be greater from shutting it down than it is from the virus. I don't think it was handled in an ideal manner. But the science suggests that if we had 100% mask compliance and people took basic precautions like washing their hands and not packing in too close, we would have had much less severe waves of illness. Every time there is another big wave, increased lockdown measures are taken to try to slow it down. So by wearing a mask at the grocery store/etc, you'd actually be helping to reduce lockdown measures. And what a tiny, insignificant cost it is to do.

People complaining that being forced to wear a mask is communist... you should try living somewhere that's Communist. During the last global pandemic masks were required, too. And actually no one is actually forcing you to wear a mask (in America) this time! It's not enforced, at least not where I am.

The elderly and people at risk have a much lower than 99.9% chance of survival so it's mainly about taking some simple steps to reduce the chances of these people getting it. it's not about you. And even lots of healthy people who get it have long-lasting side effects such as cognitive problems and long-term loss of taste and smell.

Shady's Fox

Bluelighter
Palm trees & sea, just walkin along the beach.
yo xorkotha, how's ur name mogul uganda nah listen.. it's 2021 and we still talk about this. When I go out in little crowded areas I don't wear it but you know, boredom breads many ''wonderful'' thing. The lockdown, the lockdown? *shakes head* the lockdown rite will not end and until wheels still have oil on'em, you know. They wanted money, apparently they aren't that smart to make more sauce outta this, what an irony.

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
yo xorkotha, how's ur name mogul uganda

Dafuq you talking about?

If the lockdown doesn't end with vaccinations then I'll start revising my opinion. So far it all just looks like the same as how the last global pandemic was handled (Spanish flu), except less enforcement.

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
Yeah I mean I think some countries are being really intense about enforcement, maybe it's intense where you are. But the United States is doing very little enforcement, it's suggestions that technically carry fines but I have never seen or heard of anyone getting fines where I am. People that don't want to wear masks, just don't wear them, and no one does anything about it. It's handled by individual states so probably some states are enforcing more.

I still think mask wearing and other basic measures, and limitation on size of public gatherings are all important and good ideas, until the threat has passed. People seem to think that the pandemic is just a cover and that they're going to try to keep it like this indefinitely, but I don't agree. If that does happen, I'll change my mind.

Shady's Fox

Bluelighter
Palm trees & sea, just walkin along the beach.
Fuck the popo, i have photos with'em sleeping in parkin lots they have unheard frustrations because of hood limits. They don't have a voice in all ghettos, they're busy fuckin with ppl who break sunflower seeds and 16yr olds who smoke green in the park. The Gov shouldn't pay popo at all, back in January firefighters were fightin with'em, nah? we forgot that part? I remember quite a while ago when there was heavy restrictions am talkin back March 2020 and a cop came up to me with these childish shit, I closed him quick. You don't fuck with Shady.

Buzz Lightbeer

Bluelighter
Am I the only person here who kinda wants us to be America, imperial world cop?

I've never really been a big believer in isolationism, the world affects us and if we don't take action to keep it safe for our interests, well, you wake up to find China has taken over instead and things are far far worse.
Come on, this is naive.
Apart from specific wars (which are despicable), the US has been meddling since forever in South America, trying to put right-wing and big corp friends in power. Venezuela just last year (+ these sanctions now that are wreaking havoc on the country), Ecuador soon enough, Iraq, what they're doing to Palestine etc etc

This moral high ground rubs me the wrong way man, the good vs bad guys picture is attractive but it's more like bad vs bad

SnafuInTheVoid

Moderator: NSADD
Staff member
Imagine growing up, loving your country, family and culture.

Then some other country half way across the world invades you and says, "nah... You can't do that. You do what we tell you."

Where is the moral line in the sand?

Usa constantly waving the flag of freedom while simultaneously removing the freedom of other countries to govern themselves.

Again, where is the line? Obviously genocide and things.

Buzz Lightbeer

Bluelighter
Problem is America being isolationist is NOT going to result in those countries being left alone. Other super powers, ones far worse will step in, they will get fucked over anyway and us along with it.

So, no. I'm sorry that other countries are in the middle of this, but they are literally geographically in the middle of this. That makes them involved.

And frankly my first priority is the interests and the future of the United States and her western allies. And the problems within the United States such as poverty do not justify further willful self destruction. Which ignoring the political state of the world would be.

America is a part of the world and affected the other nations in it.
You can't be serious... It's all about money & power with zero regard for human life, you're incredibly disillusioned if you think the other superpowers are actually much worse lol.

Lybia, Syria, Yemen, Iran...... Look it up, please. It's not only wars, it's also heavy sanctions that heavily punish civilians, this is all in the last 10 years or so

JessFR

Sr. Moderator: AADD, H&R, TDS
Staff member
Come on, this is naive.
Apart from specific wars (which are despicable), the US has been meddling since forever in South America, trying to put right-wing and big corp friends in power. Venezuela just last year (+ these sanctions now that are wreaking havoc on the country), Ecuador soon enough, Iraq, what they're doing to Palestine etc etc

This moral high ground rubs me the wrong way man, the good vs bad guys picture is attractive but it's more like bad vs bad

What's naive is to think that if we isolate ourselves that that won't keep happening. It will, by morally even worse state actors and ultimately against our interests.

What's naive is thinking the affairs of the rest of the world don't affect us.

Imagine growing up, loving your country, family and culture.

Then some other country half way across the world invades you and says, "nah... You can't do that. You do what we tell you."

I do imagine that, and I don't want that to ever be either us our any of our western allies.

Buzz Lightbeer

Bluelighter
OK, tell that to the millions of people dying of hunger in Venezuela and Syria. You say that it would keep happening, but I don't see Russia or China imposing such strong sanctions that affect millions of civilians, weird! Apparently you can justify just about anything by just putting 'China', 'Russia' or 'nuclear weapons' in the sentence, according to Jess. I am beyond disappointed.

There's also a lot of room to manoeuvre between very imperialistic <-----------------------> isolationist

JessFR

Sr. Moderator: AADD, H&R, TDS
Staff member
OK, tell that to the millions of people dying of hunger in Venezuela and Syria. You say that it would keep happening, but I don't see Russia or China imposing such strong sanctions that affect millions of civilians, weird! Apparently you can justify just about anything by just putting 'China', 'Russia' or 'nuclear weapons' in the sentence, according to Jess. I am beyond disappointed.

There's also a lot of room to manoeuvre between very imperialistic <-----------------------> isolationist

No? I've seen China sanctioning Australia all last year for the crime of wanting an independent covid inquiry.

I also see it regularly threatening to annex democratic Taiwan because it's decided it belongs to them.

It is extremely regrettable that these power struggles between superstates always end up involving smaller countries, but us rendering ourselves vulnerable so as to appease our conscience will not stop that.

Buzz Lightbeer

Bluelighter
No? I've seen China sanctioning Australia all last year for the crime of wanting an independent covid inquiry.
Fair point. But I'm talking about sanctions that run countries into the ground, like Venezuela (I read that they have like 1% of revenue left now, one of the poorest countries in the world now) and Syria. It's fucking saddistic, from coups to super heavy sanctions, to invasions... But it appears we won't get anywhere here.

On topic:
This is pretty good, so Trump unilaterally quit the agreement, put additional and illegal restrictions/sactions on Iran and now Biden's essentially saying it's Iran's fault lol. Afaik the US has made numerous demands while conceding pretty much nothing (in media statements). It seems pretty clear to me that this isn't how you approach things when you go into it with the intention of making a new deal, meet the new boss.. doesn't seem all that different from the last one huh

Last edited:

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
REPORT: Democrats Don’t Want Biden To Have Full Control Of Nuclear Weapons

Say, Why Are House Dems Calling On Biden To Give Up Full Control Of Nuclear Weapons?

Which answer do you want first — the fun answer, or the better answer? Let’s start off with the fun answer, but first, let’s specify precisely what House Democrats want from Joe Biden. A letter signed by three dozen of his party’s caucus urges the new president to relinquish full control over the country’s nuclear weapons in favor of a committee approach…

Nearly three dozen House Democrats on Monday called on Biden to relinquish his sole authority to launch nuclear weapons, in the latest appeal to reform the command-and-control structure so that no single person can initiate a nuclear war.

“…Vesting one person with this authority entails real risks,” states the letter spearheaded by Rep. Jimmy Panetta of California. “Past presidents have threatened to attack other countries with nuclear weapons or exhibited behavior that caused other officials to express concern about the president’s judgment.“

“While any president would presumably consult with advisors before ordering a nuclear attack, there is no requirement to do so,” the letter adds. “The military is obligated to carry out the order if they assess it is legal under the laws of war. Under the current posture of U.S. nuclear forces, that attack would happen in minutes.”

= = = = = = =

The above is linked on a notably right leaning site, and as such is spinning it as Dem leaders don't trust Biden's decision making. The tweet is from elsewhere but presents the same premise.

If you read the actual article, it appears more that people (at least 30 democrat leaders ... and..? How many Reps? How many people in general?) simply don't want the old policy of the President holding the power. Any 'single' President. I don't take this as an indicator of Biden at all, but more of a change with the times. The need for 'the football' and a President's ability to launch nukes at any time is something that was for the cold war era, and is not longer a real threat or need. Implementing this further ensures we won't enter into a nuclear war with anyone, and I'm fine with that.

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
If you read the actual article, it appears more that people (at least 30 democrat leaders ... and..? How many Reps? How many people in general?) simply don't want the old policy of the President holding the power. Any 'single' President. I don't take this as an indicator of Biden at all, but more of a change with the times.

I actually think this is a fantastic idea, I don't think it's a good idea at all for one person to have the authority over our nukes, considering we have enough to destroy life on this planet many times over.

thegreenhand

Moderator: DiTM
Staff member
I just pray for the day we decide to tear the nukes down and put the material into nuclear power plants. cyber warfare is gonna be the future anyways, at least IMO