• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids OC withdrawl question

jrr7213

Bluelighter
about two months ago i kicked a 2 year iv oxcontin and methadone addiction. All my withdrawl symptoms are gone except i still have the shits everyday can anyone tell me how long till this will go away thanks

You probably shouldn't still have physical withdrawals after 2 months. It could be something like IBS or an IBD like Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis, or possibly something like lactose intolerance, coeliac disease, etc.

I would certainly go to the doctor and get this checked out but the treatment for some of the aforementioned are opioids so for your own sake, please disclose your history... not because it threatens your sobriety, but because 10mg codeine or something isn't going to do shit. In the meantime if you can't see a doc right away, I'd get some loperamide (imodium) and find a dose that stops the diarrhea without causing constipation.

You probably shouldn't still have physical withdrawals after 2 months. It could be something like IBS or an IBD like Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis, or possibly something like lactose intolerance, coeliac disease, etc.

I would certainly go to the doctor and get this checked out but the treatment for some of the aforementioned are opioids so for your own sake, please disclose your history... not because it threatens your sobriety, but because 10mg codeine or something isn't going to do shit. In the meantime if you can't see a doc right away, I'd get some loperamide (imodium) and find a dose that stops the diarrhea without causing constipation.

Be careful with taking too much of that immodium/loperamide. Even though it may not be working try not to take more than you need and not for more than a couple days at a time, especially since you are coming off of opioids.

Loperamide was an opioid for consideration but since it didn't have analgesic (painkiller) effects or any type of euphoric high they marketed it to the public as something to help with diarrhea and such as opioids will block you up. You can still become physically dependent on them though is the general consensus around bluelight, even if it is a mild withdrawal, I bet you don't want any more to do with that ungodly mess coming off them!

It could be something like IBS or an IBD like Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis, or possibly something like lactose intolerance, coeliac disease, etc.

IBS tends to not really be noticable until you quit opioids since they'll pretty much regulate any GI problem while you're addicted. So this really isnt a bad guess.

^exactly, its a common presentation.

Be careful with taking too much of that immodium/loperamide. Even though it may not be working try not to take more than you need and not for more than a couple days at a time, especially since you are coming off of opioids.

Loperamide was an opioid for consideration but since it didn't have analgesic (painkiller) effects or any type of euphoric high they marketed it to the public as something to help with diarrhea and such as opioids will block you up. You can still become physically dependent on them though is the general consensus around bluelight, even if it is a mild withdrawal, I bet you don't want any more to do with that ungodly mess coming off them!

If you are talking double digit doses then yeah, extended periods will produce physical dependency and so the withdrawal will be more GI problems (diarrhea), but regular therapeutic doses for a short time before seeing a doctor should not be problematic. I would guess 4-6mg (2-3 pills) should reduce the symptoms the OP is experiencing and even for an extended period, coming off this will not be difficult by any stretch.

You are probably still having withdrawal symptoms from the methadone. The physical symptoms of methadone withdrawal can last around 2 months if you have been on it for some time.

coming off a 2 year methadone habit he could still have the shits after 2 months

There's really no way we can tell you exactly how long it will last. If it's been 2 months, I'd definitely see a doctor because that does seem abnormal.

Using any drug that causes constipation will cause rebound diarrhea when use is cut off, though, so it's possible this is what you are experiencing. It's just like when people quit anti-depressants and become seriously depressed.

You could take low doses of Loperamide (Imodium) but that might not be the best idea. If there is something wrong with your "system" then it would be wise to get it checked out before using drugs to mask symptoms of something that could be a serious problem.

coming off a 2 year methadone habit he could still have the shits after 2 months

Yeah, I never denied its possible but since its so unlikely to still have persistent loose stool 2 months later, it makes the other things I mentioned equally or more likely than residual withdrawal and if something like coeliacs or ulcerative colitis are possible, the OP should CERTAINLY get checked out.