Obama's Second Term Drug Policy

it doesnt matter what obama claims he wants to do with drug policy. you need to lead by example not with big promises. his first years in the white house have clearly shown what we will get with obama. more of the same

Bardeaux;10718037 said:
I have a question for this thread

What would you do if you were president? Keep in mind that there are consequences (both intended and unintended) for acting too hastily and drastically. Consider the role the drug trade plays in the Mexican economy, the rate at which immigration from Mexico would increase, the alternative to drugs that the cartels would capitalize on, etc.

Also consider the immense political opposition and the legislative processes that your efforts would have to be channeled through.

What would you do by yourself as president, and how swiftly would you do it?

I would legalize drugs as soon as possible.
I would make the economic argument most loudly, but I would also make the moral argument (which should appeal to libertarians).

Maybe this is why I am not president :(

Crankinit;10718092 said:
Seriously, forget Obama's record completely for a second, if I were American I'd vote for Satan himself before I'd vote for a rich old white mormon fundamentalist vulture capitalist flip-flopping conservative pandering power hungry tool like Romney.

As opposed to the rich black and white Christian capitalist flip-flopping conservative power hungry tool like Obama?

Personally, I don't care that Obama changed his mind on gay marriage - I respect the fact that he was able to do that.

But the fact that he lied about raids on medical marijuana patients and stores, and about closing Guantanamo, and the fact that he wasted his mandate in order to pander to the centrists, and to the rich and right-wingers (to no avail, of course), and the fact that he keeps making ex-vice-presidents of Monsanto head of the FDA - he makes me sick :!

Edit: not that I would vote for the anti-education anti-human Romney either.

Bardeaux;10718037 said:
I have a question for this thread

What would you do if you were president?

If I were Obama (specifically Obama), I would've kept my campaign promise to not interfere with state medical marijuana programs. Hell, even Romney said marijuana was a states issue!

That was a promise which helped Obama get elected. It would not be a sudden change of course. His autumnal crackdown on medical marijuana: that was a change of course.

edit: Also, I would arrest Heath Bell.

Biggest problem with legalizing drugs is the sudden unemployment of police officers, dea, FBI, prison guards, court staff, bail bondsmen, lawyers etc.

That's the main reason it can't happen.

BobJillespie;10719769 said:
Biggest problem with legalizing drugs is the sudden unemployment of police officers, dea, FBI, prison guards, court staff, bail bondsmen, lawyers etc.

That's the main reason it can't happen.

It would create just as many jobs in terms of regulation and (hopefully) higher investment in treatment.

the drug war has made america a police state. really, drugs are why police are such bastards. shit, if drugs were legal, what reason would they have to grab yo nuts and shit? there aren't enough guns out there to crack down on them hard by randomly searching and harrassing people. it'd be great if police just focused on real problems, people beating their wives and burglury and such. hell, i'd even be willing to befriend a cop if they stopped being such tools due to the war on drugs. people would be able to stop walking on eggshells when they're around.

please dont confuse my bashing on obama for me saying that romney is a better pick for prez. i know that romney would be the same if not worse. what i am saying is that with obama we actually have a track record of making big ridiculous promises and not keeping them and/or doing the complete opposite. im going to vote independent before putting a vote towards either of those liars

and although i dont think that we can say obama was elected purely because he was black (i have talked to many racist ass holes that wouldnt vote for him just because of that) you cant say that many many people didnt vote for him just because of that.

i also dont think that voting for another guy just because you dont like the other one is a very good way to pick your leader