• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Nutrient transit time and amphetamines

Mlgjp8612

Bluelighter
Particularly vyvanse. So when on vyvanse i drink water constantly and urinate constantly. Im wondering if in the midst of that i were to drink a protein/meal replacement shake would it be a waste (of money)?

How long would it take macros and micros to be absorbed/utilized? Would they be excreted through urine before they stand a chance?

I figured if my appetite is supressed i could atleast drink a meal. though im not using vyvanse everyday i shouldnt end up with nutrient deficiences from missed meals. But using vyvs twice a week longterm may add up and in combination of nutrient depletion caused by drug itself.

So im trying to figure if id still be wasting nutrients consumed. Anyone have any idea how much difference it would make if nutrients in liquid form were consumed within first 2 hours before peak and/or first 2 after peak?

Vyvanse has no clinically notable effects on the uptake or excretion of nutrients.

If you're drinking a lot of water and pissing a lot, your urine likely won't contain a lot of solutes; you'd just be pissing mostly water in that case.

A preference for liquids and soft foods while on the drug is a pretty common effect of amphetamine and that's due in part to the fact that it dries out mucous membranes in the GI tract.

The body doesn't absorb nutrients from a liquid diet any differently than it does from a more typical "dry" one. The only real difference between the two is the amount of water in a liquid-based one.

I thought amphetamine increased gut motility? Apparently it actually has the opposite effect, it slows the GI tract and increases transit time(ref)... I guess behaviour you'd expect from a "fight-or-flight" sympathomimetic.

So if anything amphetamine would increase both digestion time and nutrient uptake.

Can speed it up or slow it down; that'd typically manifest as diarrhea or constipation, but doesn't tend to occur with any consistency. It does tend to slow down gastric emptying though (it has other effects on the GI tract and metabolism, but I didn't think that worthy of mention).

In any case, I think the OP is more concerned about wasting than changes in total GI transit time. That basically boils down to the question of whether or not amphetamine impairs the function of any nutrient transporter proteins, which it doesn't.

Well, given that the urinary tract is not directly connected to the GI system at all, any nutrients you urinate out must necessarily have been absorbed into the blood first.

I thought amphetamine increased gut motility? Apparently it actually has the opposite effect, it slows the GI tract and increases transit time(ref)... I guess behaviour you'd expect from a "fight-or-flight" sympathomimetic.

So if anything amphetamine would increase both digestion time and nutrient uptake.
The perfect anorectic.