• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NSW ~ Night Time Curfew for Young Drivers ~ Your thoughts?

all this will do if it is implemented is make p-platers take their p-plates down when they go out driving....

yeah actually this idea is pretty dumb ... i only don't care because as upallnight mentioned, I rarely drive, at least in Sydney anyway. I'll pretend that I care though as it seems so many of you car-loving p-platers are potentially put-out by this possible change.

Thumbs down to this suggestion :p

My sentiments exactly Pleonastic!

Pleonastic said:
Learner drivers should also have to ideally have 100 hours of driving experience, although this isn't easy to prove and I'm not sure how to make it compulsory.

As of around June/July last year the minimum number of hours of driving experience to move on from your learners permit to your first provisional license (red P's) was raised from 50 to 100 hours.

up all night said:
^ Rural areas. Seriously, for my driving test I didn't have to go through a roundabout and only had to go through one set of traffic lights.

i will second that. driving (practical tests) have gotten to easy lately. ive had my licence now for 8years and when i sat my Ps i sat it in a Rural town cause i worked there full time. the rule of thumb is if you live in a rural town and not the city or you work F/T in a rural place u can sit ur licence there cause thats when you will be driving the most.

when i sat my Ps the only way i could of failed was if i hit a pedestrain! i sat my provisionals and didnt even carry my licence with me *lol* i told the guy i forgot it and he just said "ah well just remember it next time" i think i did one reverse park and just drove round on dirt roads the whole time. i did one hill start but this was in an auto so piss easy.

so if this was 8years ago id hate to see how slack they have and how easy it is now.

Driving isn't a right, and people shouldn't be allowed to do it unless they're qualified. And not everyone should be allowed to drive - some people just don't have the skills required, and all the training in the world won't change that.

thats not harsh. thats the truth. as far as im aware when u comne interstate you dont even have to have a practical driving test to change ur licence over. when i changed mine from NSW to VIC i just did it all at the desk :\ even though they have TOTALLY different road rules to most of VIC. then driving through the city one day i was like...WTF are these HOOK TURNS!!! 8( 8o

i think people who are from another country or inter state when changing licences over and getting a new one should all have to do a mandatory driving test. not just pay the change over fee and thats it.

Learner drivers should also have to ideally have 100 hours of driving experience, although this isn't easy to prove and I'm not sure how to make it compulsory.

there really isnt a way to proove this either. but it is a good idea. i didnt have one professional lesson in driving. my dad taught me himself ;) ive lived in three different Australian States and they all have different laws.

Last edited:
It is a stupid idea, which will only serve to inconvience people and not really make that much of a dent in the death toll. Any kid that is going to break the law to speed and drink drive is clearly just going to break this law too. The idea about not allowing teenage drivers to have any tennage passengers in the car is even more rediculous.

A major part of having a decent legal system (aside from not having rediculous legislation such as this) is that it be able to be easy enforced. People will just take off their P's, what are they going to do, roadside driver checks to make sure that none of the passengers are under 21 or that whoever is driving in the pm isn't under 21. Its fucking stupid. But even more stupid than the idea are the parents who support it saying they need more control over their kids. If a relatively minor action such as this is going to finally give you the control over your kids which you have been lacking for so long then you are a shithouse parent anyway

Great Ideas Come In Three's - Wait For The Next One

As has been said before,
& above,
if you are a police officer
you may just have to pull over
everyone who looks under 25
between 10-5
based on the premise that they may have taken their P-plates off.

Roll in the drug testing.

No more fat cops,
that's fo' sho...

Its a good idea in theory..
But personally.. i'm on my green P's. I spend half my weekends driving around my drunk friends so they get home safe.
So there for I'm preventing up to 6 of my friends at any one time from driving drunk. and the sad thing is, if i didn't offer to drive them home they would drive drunk.
I don't drink myself so theres no problem with my driving skills.
I really think nothing should be considered until sydney public transport is improved and trains run later during the night. Trains from the city - sutherland shire stop running at 1am and start again at 4.30am.
I do think the GPRS fuel cutting system is a great idea. Would be very expensive to get put in cars. And the way the RTA is now I believe they will charge $500 for a $100 unit. Then charge rent on it.

Vote on the S.M.H. polls here

I really don't think its a good idea. For one thing i used to start work before 6am, "cool i would have to get someone else to drive me".
People can still go to raves and come home 9pm-7am or whatever.
I believe it wouldn't work because teenagers would go to parties knowing they can't drive, they decide to get really drunk instead, drinking and drug use will probably increase, and i beleive so will violence. As part of the reduced quantity of drinking is associated with driving. Also people who drive drunk are going to drive drunk anyway.
With that rule of only 1 teenager passenger... what the hell is with that, thats just asking to provoke fights?
Parents don't really want to have to pick up their children especially if they are going to get drunk instead.

usually they do compromise and come up with something that at least has some benefits but I can't see how effective this plan of action really is. It probably won't really affect me but it is still a dam stupid idea IMO.

I had more things to say, but my mind went blank and post is long enough end rant - $0.02

I call bullshit. What a wankfest. I drove all the time late at night on my P's and never crashed once (still havn't). It's got nothing to do with the time the driving take place, it's to do with the responsibility of the driver in question.

And working in hospitality at that time I quite often had to drive home late at night after close shifts. I can tell you for one, my parents would have been fucking pissed off if they still had to pick me up from work at that time after I had got my licence.

All these stupid rules are supposedly aimed at eliminating road fatalities. I think it's time that everyone realised that as long as human beings are driving cars, human being will die in cars. It's just a fact of life and no law will ever change that.

MazDan, the answer to that is simple; measure power/weight, not displacement.

I wont bother putting P plates on my car at all if this is passed. They're only on half the time as it is :\

i can see a side effect here where people on this restriction might be driving faster and breaking the speed limit in the hours before the restriction in order to get everything done and get to their destiantion before it kicks in...

My friend just said something really interesting.

If they remove the car speed limit on freeways (i.e. you can drive up to 200 kph) there would probably be less accidents. Why? because people driving at 200 kph will be focusing so hard around them, whilst people doing 100 tend to just doze off.

I mean, its never going to happen, but he does have a point.

But then, the fools who slip in between cars on the inside lane at 130 would be doing 170 instead... I could see just as many accidents happening with no speed limit.

The Driving Curfew

Personally, I think that the curfew is a load of buulshit. Coming from a small country town (Even though it's classed as a city) there is usually never anything to do on the weekends. And most people between the ages of 18 and 25 drive around the main drag till 3 - 4 in the morning. And the police here are always whingeing about the drunk people in town. If they ban people from driving around, they are just asking for more people to roam the streets, get drunk and cause shit. We haven't had a fatality here (that I know of) for about a year and a half (That's for someone between 18 - 25) and that happened at like 7 in the morning.