Welcome Guest
    Please read before posting:
    Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • CEPS Moderators: cduggles | JessFR | tathra

notre dame cathedral destroyed in fire

tathra

Moderator: NASADD, H&R, CEPS
Staff member
happening now, notre dame de paris is burning, the spire and roof have collapsed. it's currently unknown what caused the fire

PARIS — A large fire broke out at the Cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris on Monday evening, causing part of the historic church’s spire to collapse as the blaze spread along its roof.

André Finot, a spokesman for the cathedral, said in a telephone interview that the cause of the fire remained unknown, and there was no immediate indication that anyone had been hurt.
story continues, with videos

Penf0ld

Ex-Bluelighter
Oh no. Beautiful building, spent a month in Paris with friends and loved the area.

Hope it can be rebuilt. :(

Architecture and historic buildings going up in smoke is so shit especially with the systems available today.

tathra

Staff member
Hope it can be rebuilt. :(

Architecture and historic buildings going up in smoke is so shit especially with the systems available today.
a rebuild won't be the same. can't recapture the magic of 600+ year old relics. restorations are one thing, but they're better off leaving it half-destroyed than rebuilding. like imagine if they rebuilt the roman colosseum from its half-destroyed state, it wouldn't be a piece of history anymore but something else entirely

destruction and death are simply parts of life and the experience. as long as it wasn't intentional, then shit happens 🤷‍♂️ now if somebody lit that fire then that's another matter

Penf0ld

Ex-Bluelighter
Well the London Bridge was rebuilt about 6 times, the Shakespeare theatre lost its original roof, no things of great beauty dont last forever. The twin towers pretty much the same except not really as it wasn't an accident and the huge loss of life is far worse than losing buildings.

Who knows, it's probably an electrical fault but old buildings have pretty strict fire codes and inspections so if a person accidently did this then they will be fucked for sure

Anything else isn't worth a thought until it's suspicious. There's no need for terror groups to spring to mind as they win that way..

Merde.

Xorkoth

Sr. Moderator: PD, TR, TDS, P&S
Staff member
Wow, I got to visit when I was 17. I hope it's not too bad, it was gloriously beautiful.

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
Also, for consideration:

CATHOLIC CHURCHES ARE BEING DESECRATED ACROSS FRANCE—AND OFFICIALS DON’T KNOW WHY (posted 21MAR)

France has seen a spate of attacks against Catholic churches since the start of the year, vandalism that has included arson and desecration.

Vandals have smashed statues, knocked down tabernacles, scattered or destroyed the Eucharist and torn down crosses, sparking fears of a rise in anti-Catholic sentiment in the country.

Last Sunday, the historic Church of St. Sulpice in Paris was set on fire just after midday mass on Sunday, Le Parisien reported, although no one was injured. Police are still investigating the attack, which firefighters have confidently attributed to arson.

Built in the 17th century, St. Sulpice houses three works by the Romantic painter Eugene de la Croix, and was used in the movie adaptation of The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown.

Last month, at the St. Nicholas Catholic Church in Houilles, in north-central France, a statue of the Virgin Mary was found smashed, and the altar cross had been thrown on the ground, according to La Croix International, a Catholic publication.

Also in February, at Saint-Alain Cathedral in Lavaur, in south-central France, an altar cloth was burned and crosses and statues of saints were smashed. The attack prompted Lavaur Mayor Bernard Canyon to say in a statement: “God will forgive. Not me.”

And in the southern city of Nimes, near the Spanish border, vandals looted the altar of the church of Notre-Dame des Enfants (Our Lady of the Children) and smeared a cross with human excrement.

Consecrated hosts made from unleavened bread, which Catholics believe to be the body of Jesus Christ, were taken and found scattered among rubbish outside the building.

Bishop Robert Wattebled of Nimes said in a statement: “This greatly affects our diocesan community. The sign of the cross and the Blessed Sacrament have been the subject of serious injurious actions.

“This act of profanation hurts us all in our deepest convictions,” he added, according to The Tablet, which reported that in February alone there had been a record 47 documented attacks on churches and religious sites.

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
slightly off topic, but the extensive functions of the [media] tag are looking quite nice, gotta see how much it can actually do.

directly displaying linked twitter posts means no more having to post screenshots or follow a link to view them elsewhere
Don't even have to put any bbcode around them, it just 'knows'

tathra

Staff member
Don't even have to put any bbcode around them, it just 'knows'
iirc vb would correct youtube links to the proper format and simply add url tags to all other links, not a big change to add twitter urls to the media category too. that's the easy part, and the rest is likely on twitter's end in their behavior to being linked. aside from debugging and learning the script and syntax in the first place, coding aint all that difficult

Zopiclone bandit

Bluelighter
What I cannot understand is how people are standing around crying for this church?

Now I am not a Christian BUT the proper Christian revival preachers such as Leonard Ravenhill have the message 100% on point & I listen to him daily.
The problem is I bet a good 50% of those people have never really lived a proper Christian life, you only have to look at them dressed in nice clothes with their I-phones for example I know one thing for sure the best Revival preachers would have something to say upon it.

They cry & weep in the street because a building has burned down? Jesus didn't go around building huge places to go worship in, he went onto the street to work with sex workers etc.........I really have a problem trying to understand people these days.

Something Is Missing In The Church (Leonard Ravenhill's Message)

Xorkoth

Sr. Moderator: PD, TR, TDS, P&S
Staff member
Yeah in fact Jesus specifically railed against money in the church, and ornate cathedrals are basically shows of wealth and power for the church. Also ostensibly to instill a sense of awe in worshippers. But hey, ever since the Romans appropriated Christianity into Catholicism, the religion has had little to do with what Jesus was teaching.

I think it's a shame it burned down because it was a gorgeous building, quite a beautiful feat of engineering and artistry.