• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Not sure if cellulitis, an abscess, or just the missed shots

aMammoth

Greenlighter
Alright so ... I know I fucked up. I'm not posting this thread to hear how much of an idiot I am for my actions. Just want some opinions on what the end result is and how to deal with it. That being said, thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Alright so I've been an IV meth user for two and a half years now. Never had problems hitting a vein until recently. I've missed shots before but not as consistently as I have the past couple weeks.
The vein along the back of my forearm I could hit, but I missed part of a shot damn near every time because I couldn't rest my hand anywherea. Long story short. I missed a good bit, but I missed almost all of the last shot I attempted on that vein.

Generally I'm pretty clean about the process. Or at least I feel I am. I use a new rig every shot. But if I don't hit the vein I will attempt again with the same rig. Most of the time I wipe down the area with alcohol.

Huge lump. No surprise I've had lumps before. They went away in a couple weeks. All is well.

There is a huge painful mass that no resembles cellulitis in my opinion. Hurts to set my arm down on anything. I've had a hot compress on it for like 8 hours in total, put ice on it, amongst other methods to apply heat or cold with pressure or soaking.
I've been taking clindamycin the past 2 days in case it is an infection.
It has had basically no affect.

At work my arm hurts just existing. Random intense burning. And if I were to try to crawl and put weight on the arm , my arm recoils and gives out almost immidiately.

If I push on it kinda hard the dimple my finger made will stay there for a good bit after I stop applying pressure. Or if I rest my arm on something long enough and get past the pain , it will spread out but not be as tall of a lump.
Missed https://imgur.com/a/TtEso

This is the best picture I could manage to take. Pictures on the right are of my left arm so there is something to compare it to.

What am I dealing with here? Is it an abscess? Or cellulitis? Or is it just a collection of the missed shots and will just break down in time? If that's the case, What can I do to accelerate the process of it breaking down?

Last edited:
Go to the hospital for sure. That isn't going to go away on it's own. The sooner you get treated the better off you'll be. It will just get more swollen and more painful until you do, and the longer you put it off, the greater the chance will be that you'll need surgery.

All right fuck me. Alright so my my dad has been a nurse 4 about 8 years now working every hospital more or less in the surrounding area. If I go to the hospital will they flag me in any way for drug abuse on my medical record? Because I wouldn't put it past him pull up my medical record if he sees anything from the insurance about me going to the hospital.

I don't know what they'll do for sure. The first time I had an abscess I went to urgent care. They numbed it up, drained it, packed it, put me on two different antibiotics, and gave me some weak pain medication, and told me to come back in two days so they could check it. That time I was fine.

Second time, I couldn't go to urgent care(medicaid), had been treated like shit in the ER and did NOT want to go, and also didn't realize how urgent it was to get treated ASAP, so I waited two or three days. I finally went in after the pain became unbearable, and they gave the same treatment, except that time the antibiotics didn't work, I needed surgery, and I ended up in the hospital for another five days. I had a huge nasty hole in my arm for a month and a have a horrid scar. Luckily, that's all, I didn't lose my arm, which is plausible in such a scenario.

That was for heroin, not amps, but AFAIK, the treatment is the same.

For the rest, yeah I don't know dude, and I hope everything turns out okay!

I've read about DMSO on a couple websites. It's a solvent that penetrates skin extremely well. But I have very limited knowledge about it. Know anything about it by chance?

You might have to use the old "It was steroids" line, but seriously if that goes into the deep fascia or muscle you could have a serious impairment, for life. This is all speculation anyways as an imgur pic is not enough to diagnose it. It might need needle aspiration / lancing, IV antibiotics or they could just give you an oral course of something stronger and send you on your way but you need to get it looked at.

CASE-STUDIES-(It-could-happen-to-YOU)

-Injection-IV-Complications-and-Info-MEGATHREAD-amp-FAQ-III-vs-I-Want-Blood

That week could be just what it needs to go systemic and become septic, as in blood poisoning. Read through the case studies above if you think we're pulling your leg, just a quick skim.

I'm well aware of how bad it could get. I guess I really just wanted confirmation on when needed to be done. Thank you all very much for that.
Does anyone have any knowledge of what information is potentially available to people who work in the medical field, more specifically Houston Texas area. I'm assuming the systems aren't the same everywhere.

Hi mate. Dont just automatically assume shit like this is always from a missed shot mate. You dont have to explain jack shit.

Furthermore, feel free to not only not mention what actually happened, feel free to lie. Say you had a few drinks that night and stumbled, fell on something and now have a lump. Say you were doing some things around the yard and you had a scrape with a rose thorn. Say you think a spider bit you. Say yiu think you have a splinter from fucking aroind making a table. Some shit like that its the same antibiotics anyway.

Doesnt matter. Say you have had some recurring cysts that have healed but this one has not. My work mate is gross and gets them all the time and we pop the things for him. They are a horrid skin condition and not from a potential introduced infection like yours.

Forget the reason why for now. Its no ones business you just need the right antibiotic and the sooner the better. Keflex or cephalexin is usual anti staph for skin .

Who cares if they doubt it whatever just get antibiotics.

When youve done that then have a think about what youre going to do drug wise. You cant get to that point before you sort this out, thats later on ok

Last edited:
I really appreciate all of the responses. I'll go to the ER tomorrow. I've got prior engagements I have to handle today. I will let you all know what happens.

I really appreciate all of the responses. I'll go to the ER tomorrow. I've got prior engagements I have to handle today. I will let you all know what happens.

Dude do not wait especially if its getting hot and you are getting hot and sweaty from it.

You will be a little more comfortable keeping some firm pressure around the area with a clean firm wrap of some sort and whatever painkillers you have.

If it gets rapidly more painful dont ignore it and dont put off going. No one knows you just because of your dad, you dont have to say anything just say hey I have this fucking painful thing on my arm i felt a sting, i flicked something off me but didnt see what it was.

Technically thats kinda true so dont worry about it

Sorry I took forever to get back to this post. Got caught up dealing with life. Went to the hospital and got prescribed antibiotics so it would seem as though everything's fine. Still have a decent sized lump though but that normally takes a while to go away. Been using DMSO for about a week now and it appears as though it is breaking it down faster. Thanks again where everyone's timely responses