• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Not quitting - avoiding

Fornax55

Bluelighter
The search engine revealed a dozen threads about tips & tricks for quitting heroin, stopping yourself from making 'the call,' and dealing with cravings to some degree, but my problem's a bit stickier in that the product is around me at all times. I want to stop using but it's extremely difficult when the bane of your addiction is within arms' reach at all times. Aside from fueling myself with other drugs so I'm not tempted to use (which is hardly what I want to do because then I'd just be wired to x and y instead of h) are there any tricks one could offer about avoiding use of a dope that you have in your immediate access to and can't really throw away -_-

Obviously the best advice is to do whatever it takes to get yourself away from being around it. Flush whatever you have, move away or what have you. But it sounds like, for whatever reason, distancing yourself from these drugs is not an option.

In that case, this is a tough one.

(Edit: In this post I say "quit" and "quitting" a lot. In the OPs title, he clearly says he is not quitting but wants to avoid using. For all intents and purposes I feel what I am saying applies. Somebody deciding to stop using for a period of time is quitting... Just not necessarily forever)

Some would say that if you have truly decided 100% that you want to quit then this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Is it that simple though? It is and it isnt.

Your biggest concern, in my opinion, is learning to deal with any sudden urges to use. If you truly want to quit, then you must realize that these urgues to use are fleeting. Given enough time you will be glad if you decided not to use.

In your case, however, you are much more likely to use if a sudden urge occurs since it is always right in front of you. In my case, whenever I have an urge, I have to plan where to get it and when and where to use. I usually come to my senses before I figure any of this out. This time buffer is beneficial to me. I am truly committed to staying sober, but I am only human and I do occasionally get momentairly caught up in strong urges to use. My key to getting past these urges is time and thought.

I dunno what to tell you other than to try your best not to succub to any sudden urgues. If you do decide that you want to use again then try to stall yourself. For example, you've decided to use again but instead of using right that second try to stall using for a period of time (say 24 hours, for example). Use this time to REALLY think long and hard about your decision. If you are truly ready to quit then you will more likely make the right decision if you give yourself adequate time to reflect.

This will only work if you are really truly ready to quit. If you have not made that commitment to yourself than you don't stand much of chance constantly being exposed to it.

Also, you probably should keep yourself distracted as much as possible. Work, school, hobbies, etc. Since you cannot physically distance yourself then you should try mentally distancing yourself.

You could also try support groups, therapy, AA/NA meetings etc. Some people benefit more than others with these types of activities; It may not be for you. Who knows, it may help in your case.

Good luck.

Last edited:
That time buffer just as MDPV has described it is probably the number one tool for a reformed addict to take advantage of with regard to remaining sober. Someone who has been sober for years can survive a visit to an environment such as the one you're in Fornax, but an addict who is trying to quit - very very low probability of success, in fact my immediate response to someone with aspirations to get clean is to tell them to remove themselves from that environment. I was a dealer for as long as I was a user, a long time, and I have to change my environment to get clean, stop dealing, no more clients, certainly no more users around me and no more contacts...become someone else. Sounds like you live with a dealer, or perhaps you were born into a crime family so to speak, maybe you live in the valley doesn't matter I suppose but if you can't get away from your drug of addiction, from the drug you wish to quit, then you will need the strength of a thousand lions to get that monkey off your back.

Fornax, I don't mean to pry and will accept what information you have provided but in my opinion you really need to ask yourself if it really impossible for you to get away from this drug, to not have it in your presence is crucial especially in the initial stages of your recovery. Take care.

find a hobby that you can invest your time in that is unrelated to the drug trade

I can't help but say. It is amazing the speed that you have progressed to this point fornax.

To answer your question though. If you truly are addicted, and only you can know for sure, it will be next to impossible to clean up in that atmosphere. Give it away, flush it, whatever you do get rid of it. Relapses kill heroin addicts. Also if you think you are taking a break to just get your tolerance down and be able to control yourself around it, think again, you pretty much pick up where you left off.

What I did for myself is detox, two month rehab, and finding things I enjoy in life more...I garden. It can be anything man, skys the limit. All you need to do is muster the strength to kill something you love.

you should say it, maybe your words are the ones that resonate with him.

I can't help but say. It is amazing the speed that you have progressed to this point fornax.

To answer your question though. If you truly are addicted, and only you can know for sure, it will be next to impossible to clean up in that atmosphere. Give it away, flush it, whatever you do get rid of it. Relapses kill heroin addicts. Also if you think you are taking a break to just get your tolerance down and be able to control yourself around it, think again, you pretty much pick up where you left off.

What I did for myself is detox, two month rehab, and finding things I enjoy in life more...I garden. It can be anything man, skys the limit. All you need to do is muster the strength to kill something you love.

what do you mean progressed to this point? i've been addicted to opiates for quite some time. the only difference now is i've ended up with a stash that's worth enough that i'm not going to flush it, but also happens to be larger than the habit I'd optimally like to support.

for those who are worried/condescending/whatever, i don't have problems cleaning up. i've been an on/off opiate addict since i was seventeen, and, as mentioned in this thread, whenever I want to quit I'll just change the scenery - my usual method is to hitchhike to a different city and start school/work/life fresh there. I only get wired when I'm stuck in the same place for too long with no aspiration. in all honesty I'm not even that worried about detoxing from this binge either, once the stuff's gone, the stuff's gone and I have a big enough detox kit and enough suboxones to do a 2-week weaning, which will keep me feeling alright through the worst of it.

all i wanted was any advice on how to distract oneself from the stuff when its in their presence, short of flushing it. but, i do stand strong in my question - does it really seem like i've progressed/regressed so much in the last week?

How to distract yourself from a distraction? I think it's an exercise in futility ,at least for me it would be . Its one thing to have some clean time and be around your DOC but to just wake up after using and the drug is right there, goodluck! I mean I don't want to sound cold or uncaring but if any of us could do that it would prove this isn't a disease it's about sheer will power(at least to the superman that could do that). Try eating your subs cause once it's in you dope is useless but other then that I don't know what anyone could tell you.

I do recommend finding a hobby, and of course exercise and the other common recommendations, but one thing that may help once you're off all opioids, is watching/listening to ASMR videos and/or doing guided meditations, there are also several books and videos on self hypnosis where you can give yourself subconscious suggestions to help with the urges. The meditation and self hypnosis will work when on bupe/H, gut you won't feel ASMR when on any opioids whatsoever. ASMR is a very relaxing sensation which causes a very pleasant tingling sensation from your head, down your back and in the legs and arms. It's a bit addictive, but it's a completely healthy obsession, with no ill effects. I personally find that relaxing stimuli causes cns depression similar to downers, but in a natural and healthy.

PAWS is the hardest part in overcoming addiction, and the above methods help quite a bit, but for many, the biggest issue in PAWS is the RLS... Gabapentin works wonders for the RLS, as well as helping with depression and anxiety. It is relatively harmless as all it does is increase the level of GABA in your brain. As long as you don't take it for more that 4-6 months max, stopping taking it is pretty easy. There may be one or two days of rebound anxiety and just feeling off when you come off gabapentin, but some supplements such as gaba and biotin can help with that, and honestly once you're prettymuch over PAWS and have tapered off gabapentin, it's pretty easy because the psychological cravings are gone.

A few supplements I recommend during the acute and post acute WD and even after PAWS are L-DOPA and Vitamin B6 in moderately high but still safe doses. Those help your brain produce more dopamine and endorphins which will help with the cravings, RLS and anxiety, and even the depression. Melatonin 5-10mg is also sometimes helpful along with valerian root. Biotin and a little tonic water and nexium is a good idea to take as it helps the supplements pass through the BBB and prevents them from being pumped out of the brain by P-Glycoprotein. Magnesium is also very good in that it can help with anxiety, rls and a number of other things. And of course, a one a day vitamen is always good. Again, meditation is also very helpful as it will help keep your mind from wandering and more importantly pass the time when you'd be bored and thinking about drugs otherwise.

If you don't want to get rid of the H due to the money you invested, maybe put it in a safety deposit box or store it away from the area you usually hang out in.

I'm sure I messed a few supplements, but I feel that by using these techniques and supplements and meds, you can get through withdrawal and PAWS with as little trouble as possible. If you have any questions please feel free to message me.

Actually conspirator made a good point about locking up your dope. My wife keeps my pks locked up and gives me just enough for the day. Do you have some one you'd trust with the key?

There are stages of addiction. The point I make is not an affront to you in any way. I just found it amazing from the first thread of yours to this one how fast you have been going through it. You are in the contemplation stage. If you are truly an addict this is the stage that you either make the decision to try recovery, or the decision to stay using. It is also the stage that you try different things to curb, or control your use. I was in this stage for a long time and it always lead me to go back to using anytime that I had a little clean time.

Geographic changes work only for a little while. If you don't change your behaviors with opiates than you will always find yourself in the same position.

However, you may be one of the extremely rare people that can handle themselves. I am not.

If you want to clean up, try the thomas method. It works well to limit the withdrawals and PAWS.

Best of luck to you.

Have you considered maintenance therapy - methadone or bupe? I don't recommend naltrexone, but that's an option too. That way you can not use, feel fine and return to using if you wish later on - I do not recommend this but OP indicated an interest in returning to using at some point.

Hopefully with replacement therapy and maybe relocating you'll find you don't want to be using street opioids and in time can free yourself altogether. Support groups you might find helpful, maybe keep any current use info to yourself and don't let anyone know about your ready access - good way to get robbed, busted or worse.

I agree with speedball. Support groups will help you understand why you do the things you do, and help put in place behavior changes that may save your life.

6 months ago I would have said what you need to do is impossible. Then I got on methadone. I drove my friend to score and then watched her shoot up in my car and didn't have a single moment of craving. It was actually really weird. So there is your answer high dose methadone.

Look man, here is the hard truth. You are no different than me or any other opiate junkie. You WILL NOT be able to stop if you have it around you. You literally need to get rid of it. If you do not, you can not and will not be able to slow down or curb your addiction. The problem is not in your will power it is in your brain chemistry. You lizard brain, which is responsible for "gimme gimme gimme" is driving you subconsciously to it every living second.

It is like if you had a room full of HOT women that literally WORSHIPED your dick and you and they never argued or got angry all they did was what you wanted. You would try every crazy thing your mind could think of with those women because of the amazing pleasure you are getting from your reward center in your brain. THAT is what heroin is. SO if you want any chance at getting out of this, you cant just stick in the tip, you gotta slam it all the way in. And in this analogy that means throw the shit out and go get professional help! This shit is a disease bro and you are keeping the source of it in your own living space. You are either committed to it or not. Do or do not. There is no try.

^^^eloquently put Mr. Dash! The reason most of us can give you advice about this is because we have wired our brains the same with opiates. You will not be able to slow down.

Think about this scenario....you are you, your lizard brain is the cop, and the baton is the desire to use.

You are driving along and keep blowing through stop signs left and right. The signs are there but you just keep breezing on through. Finally a cop pulls you over because you have gone through too many stop signs. He pulls you out of your car and starts smashing you in the head with his baton. He tells you "you had all these opportunities to stop! Now I am hitting you with my baton..." You say, "I slowed down at least." He keeps hitting you and finally says "Do you want me to stop hitting you or slow down?"

If you want your lizard brain to stop giving you those urges to use, you need to make some serious life changes. Regardless of if you slow your use, or continue full speed ahead your going to keep getting those urges and in your state generally succumb to them.

Sweet. Thanks for all your words of advice. I don't need a support group - I know why I'm addicted, I know what I need to do to quit (I think I knew this whole time, I think I was just feebly hoping there'd be an easier way when I made this post. I can't discuss why I'm not just going to throw my product away but rest assured that my intentions in keeping it around are as pure as possible when dealing with this stuff and the result is that I'm able to accomplish some of my longterm goals and investments that I haven't been able to up until this point.

I had a discussion with one of the people who responded to try and clear up a bit of miscommunication; it seems the way I word things have led people to believe that this is my first addiction, or that I wasn't addictied prior to this happenstance. This is simply not true. I've been addicted on and off for six years, this current stint has lasted about 11 months so far. It just so happens that this big batch ended up in my hands, but once again, I'm not looking for an 'all-out,' or am not looking to commit to quitting, because that's unrealistic right now.

I appreciate everyone's advice and words - no offense was taken, the hard truth doesn't bother me since I've nothing to hide, but it looks like no matter how many times I reiterate I put out the wrong message so I guess I'll just move on, lol. Things are starting to improve anyways. I've convinced myself to stop smoking the shit which is a huge improvement and all I could really ask for right now.

This feels great - taking a bump once every few hours instead of taking tokes every twenty minutes to a half hour. I think once I'm adjusthed to just taking rails I'm going to move dw to oral ingestion... if not just saving my nasal cavity and my lungs, this way will deplete the junkfaster and I'll end up dosing less frequently. Hurrah. (and please don't flame me in regards to how wasteful eating heroin is - that's a big portion of why I'm choosing to do it! :p )

At least make your goal to ween andv reduce the dose or at least maintain a regular dose. If you notice you are dosing higher ammounts or more frequently then you need to consider giving it a real break.