Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Nootropics in oz.

VelocideX

Bluelighter
Given that there seems to be a rapidly increasing market for "alternative" or herbal therapies in Australia, I'm wondering: why has no-one tried to get a licence to import and resell many of the popular drugs from overseas?

I realise piracetam is prescription in many places and that might be an impediment, but I'm thinking of things like DMAE for instance... relatively cheap, some good reports on it, yet you can't get it here.

Hell its a natural compound, from what I understand you don't even need it classified as a pharmaceutical because you could get away with a "natural substance" type argument?

cant do it. in oz there is no vitamin supplement / nutraceutical category, bummer huh?

any such sold here is either a TGA - listed/registered substance/product (look for an AUSTL or and AUSTR number on the bottle) or a food.

in both cases, you have to prove why your substance is there.

medical claims - unless already approved and in the pharmacopoeia, or has approved monographs and you are willing to go for it ie the listing/registration process - forget about it.

food - is it an approved colour, a flavourant, a souce of nutrition, ie coloric? same as above...

not insurmountable barriers, but there, nevertheless, to protect the public.

fair enough :)

good to see you still around nanobrain, wondered where you went :)

I'm starting to change my mind on selegiline. It seems to be working somewhat :)

I can't find any present mention of DMAE on the TGA site but I'm sure I read something from the TGA some time ago saying it was banned in Australia.

I know a St Johns worker who took DMAE while in the states. When he returned home and realised it wasn't sold in Aus, he ordered some from the US only to receive a call from customs instead of his anxiously awaited parcel :(

That's interesting... I wonder why? I haven't heard any mention of it being used illicitly...

On the topic of "traditional" medicine, I eagerly await the day when herbs and all that are held to rigorous scientific standards...

i can't seem to find any information supporting the notion that DMAE is an illegal import to australia.

i have ordered this twice before in the past and have cleared customs (including them opening and looking) and just about to order another lot.

i don't see how it can be used in any recreational fashion...

i find centrophenoxine aka lucidril aka meclofenoxate vastly superior to DMAE with no customs issues.

I've had no problem importing piracatem and DMAE, always arrives intact with green open by customs tape round it.
Don't know what gives people the idea it's an illegal import, i'd say it would be illegal to sell it here though.

thanks for the info guys. I 'll let my friend know about this, he'll most happy to hear :)

according to www.tga.gov.au , no mention of DMAE.
DHEA is illegal for personal import, DMAE isn't.
DHEA = Human growth hormone [subject to imports]

Like nano said, numerous people report that centrophenoxine is more effective...

DHEA is available in Australia. It is made by a company that sells their products as homeopathic medicine and gets through using a loophole. They also distribute HGH and I think Melatonin which is also not cleared by the TGA. I can't remember the name of the brand, but the labels are yellow and have arrows or something on them. They are in chemists everywhere now. I'm not sure if DMAE is also available, I wouldn't be surprised if this group sold it.

^^ Bioglan sells DHEA... its only 3mg though, overseas ppl offer 50mg caps.

A few years ago I requested information about legally importing Nootropics from the TGA.

Here is my original post on the subject:

TGA Info

Yeah I'm aware of the requirements (< 3 month supply etc), it just intrigued me that DMAE was "apparently" listed, though I'd seen no evidence to support it.

Just trying to find souces for my earlier remarks, might take me a while to go through everything... stay tuned.

"Pretorius" is the brand I was talking about by the way.....

I have ordered a fair few nootropics. Last time while ordering some 5-htp i decided to buy in bulk unaware of that 3 month supply only rule. I ordered 12 bottles of 60, 50mg pills. Anyway while doing this i had the intended purpose of ordering other nootropics.
I did my research and found that it is allowed to be purchased for personal use only. (sorry can't give link it is a source)
Anyway i ordered a bottle of Piracetam, DMAE, Chloline, 12 bottles of 5-htp and a few bottles of various mixes (eg containing vinpocetine, DMAE, Chloline, GABA, L-Glutamine, L-tyrosine, hydergine, vasopressin and various other nootropics combined). I'm not sure if giving names or brands is against guidelines.
but the point is out of all these that were sent through only 2 bottles were checked (im guessing in case of illicit drugs)
I dont see any harm in cognitive enhancement and therefore why shouldn't these be allowed. I did come across various rules against DHEA and Selegeline.
I ordered these with the partial intention of alleviating stress, anxiety, mild insomnia, and mood. So there shouldnt be a problem (Along with the intention cognitive enhancement and certain drug interactions)
I've found usually if its prescription here, it'll be harder to get, mostly these supplements are simply just unheard of
PS i also got some unexpected samples of Adrafinil and Modafinil, which i found fairly intriguing i want some of them.
I didn't come across any problems on importing any of these